Hi Everyone,

I haven’t been on here in a long time but wanted to check in. I am currently 10 months out from VSG. My high weight was 258 and I am now 165. I’m currently a size 12-14 and M-L. I am thrilled with the results. 

However, I stopped losing around July. I’ve been at the same weight since then. I have added food, eaten less food, added exercise, removed exercise, eaten a Keto style diet, eaten low carbs, increased carbs, you name it. Nothing seems to work. I still have about 30 lbs left to lose and I really want to get there. Right now I’m trying to stay within 1000-1200 calories a day. Eating less than 1000 did nothing. Eating more did nothing.

I can’t go see my surgeon because I moved to another state and am in the process of finding a new doctor. 

I’m really frustrated, but I’m hoping someone has some advice?

Thanks guys!

Have you tried dramatically increasing your water (or no calorie drink) consumption?  Are you still taking your vitamins?  You talk about calories, but many of us find that it is much more important than counting calories to instead focus on having a diet focused heavily on lean protein (chicken, turkey, fish, etc) and with as few carbs as possible. Also if you drink alcohol, you may want to try cutting that out if your diet  

Remember that each diet change may take up to a month in order to show that it is (or is not) working. Weighing yourself only once a week or once a month may take some mental pressure off of yourself.

We are here to support you. 

Thanks! So maybe I should back off the numbers and just focus on content. Maybe that will be less stress. I also definitely need to increase my fluids.

Another question, I have added caffeine back into my diet around the same time my stall started. My original plan required no caffeine. Does anyone know if caffeine really does affect weight loss? I know some claim it does and some says it doesn’t.

Thanks!

Caffeine consumption should not impact weight loss, although you probably should drink more liquids if you drink a lot of caffeinated drinks.

If caffeine impacted weight loss I'd still be at my surgery weight... since I started drinking coffee again after 4 weeks.  :)  I agree with Res - water may be the key. 

Especially for ladies, it seems like the body holds onto water all month and then releases it in a rush... so I also agree with Res that you need to give a dietary change a whole lot of time to work. 

On the caffeine question, I'd say if you mean coffee or tea, should be ok, but if you are drinking caffeinated drinks with artificial sweeteners I think that could potentially cause you to hold onto weight.  A low carb/keto diet will require more than the usual amount of water also, and maybe some extra salt.

I've stayed in Ketosis since my surgery in March and have been experimenting with time restricted feeding, intermittent fasting and find that helps me push past a plateau.  Might not work for everyone but just thought I'd share.  Restricting the number of hours during the day you consume food (feeding window) gives you a longer period of time where you are not consuming food at which point your Insulin will drop and that is the hormone that tells your body to story energy (fat).  Basically, the longer period of time your insulin is low, the more fat your body will burn.  The other way to help keep insulin low is to stick to lower glycemic foods as they tend to spike your insulin less when consumed.

My weight loss at the beginning was steep and linear, now it has slowed and is more of a stair step where I will stick at a weight for longer than a week, then at some point 2 pounds will come off.

@Gin820

What proportion of your calories are protein vs carbos? And, how much exercise has been dialed in? 

Given what you've said, I would consider a radical increase in exercise. I started rowing (30 minutes a day at a pace which the rowing machine says is 1000 calories an hour), which is ridiculously calorie burning and muscle building, and I lost 13 lbs in a 5-6 week period having plateaued for forever despite everything I tried. Yes I lost more weight than the exercise calories measurement would suggest.  Isn't it wonderful that we find, on an individual basis, that something really affects us in an unpredictable way?

You have learned a very valuable piece of information -> your body likes 165 lbs. With any luck you'll find some trick that gets you lower and you find that your body likes 135. For what it is worth, many studies show that people who exercise 60 minutes a day or more get to weights they want, and can maintain there. It covers a multitude of sins. Now invoking @athenarose who has maintained low after lovely loss, and clearly is addicted to exercise...  ;)

5 hours ago, BurgundyBoy said:

@Gin820

What proportion of your calories are protein vs carbos? And, how much exercise has been dialed in? 

Given what you've said, I would consider a radical increase in exercise. I started rowing (30 minutes a day at a pace which the rowing machine says is 1000 calories an hour), which is ridiculously calorie burning and muscle building, and I lost 13 lbs in a 5-6 week period having plateaued for forever despite everything I tried. Yes I lost more weight than the exercise calories measurement would suggest.  Isn't it wonderful that we find, on an individual basis, that something really affects us in an unpredictable way?

You have learned a very valuable piece of information -> your body likes 165 lbs. With any luck you'll find some trick that gets you lower and you find that your body likes 135. For what it is worth, many studies show that people who exercise 60 minutes a day or more get to weights they want, and can maintain there. It covers a multitude of sins. Now invoking @athenarose who has maintained low after lovely loss, and clearly is addicted to exercise...  ;)

Lol. Since school started, I haven’t set foot in the gym and I’m lucky if I get a hike in twice a week. Yay for homeschooling....I just have to watch my weight much more closely now that I’m not doing two-a-days and working out 3 hours/day. But agreed, i’d definitely try increasing exercise with the caveat that I’d try something different than what you’ve done in the past. @Gin820 you say you tried adding & removing exercise, but specifically what exercises did you try? Other thought, my PCP recommended intermittent fasting if I want to lose weight. Have you tried that by chance?