Hello- I used to be so active on this forum, but haven't been on here in years, so I'll just give a quick intro before I get to my question.

I had VSG nearly 6 years ago. I started out at 230 (5'6" female). I hit my lowest weight about 10 months post op at 148, but really only stayed there about a month. But I leveled off and 155 for about a year. Then my weight crept up to 165 the following year. While I would have liked to be back at 148, I was pretty happy at that weight. I was able to eat basically whatever I wanted. I felt little to no restriction at that point which I didn't like, but managed to maintain for nearly 4 years. Then I got pregnant. I actually did really well while pregnant, I didn't end up with gestational diabetes (even though I was diabetic before the sleeve) and my blood pressure remained low too. I only gained about 28 lbs and the week after my kiddo was born I was back down to 171. Unfortunately, THAT'S when I gained weight. I put on 15lbs post baby, up to 186. Two years later, I've gotten down to 172, but I really need to lose a lot more. I really should be in the 130s. Although I would love to be "skinny", I'm more concerned about my health. Now that I have a kiddo, I want to live as long as possible. My cholesterol is through the roof and I really can't take medication for it, so I need to get as thin as possible. 

Anyway, my question is this: During the initial weight loss after the sleeve, I meticulously counted my calories. I usually ate between 600-800 cals a day. Sometimes getting as high as 1000, but not that often. So now that I'm 6 years out, is there any reason I shouldnt be able to return to eating that few calories? I don't have the restrictive feeling anymore, which sucks, but I feel sure that I can eat in that range. I just get freaked out by all the diet and nutrition guides that warn against eating so few calories. But I mean... The surgery wasnt anything magical about how my body used calories, right? It made it easier to eat so little, but at the end of the day it was using the calories the same way then that it does now don't ya think? 

I'd love to hear what others think on this subject. Thanks so much for tuning in! 

I don't think that doing a few days of a very low calorie/with protein shakes intake is likely to be a problem but with a toddler to run after, I don't think you should do it for too long. 

I used a nutritionally complete VLCD meal replacement program for about 7 months prior to my revisional surgery. I did my research before embarking on this approach and was happy that what I intended to do was safe. I even printed off the medical practitioner advice from that programs website. Then I headed off to my family doctor and TOLD HIM what I was going to do, at the same time handing over the medical monitoring information so he knew what part he needed to play. He was dead set against what I intended to do, just as he is dead set against WLS......but I left him no other choice (in both regards) but to either monitor me or refuse to be be my doctor anymore. I don't recall lacking energy on the program, but I wasn't trying to work out a very low calorie plan that balanced my nutritional needs for myself either. I wouldn't hesitate to use a VLCD program again if I needed that level of help.....in fact I have thought about doing that very thing to see if I can drop a few more kg....im just not sure that's a good move for me right now.

First of all, welcome back! It's always nice to hear from past success stories.

If it were me, I would get in touch with either the nutritionist at my bariatric surgeon's office, or if you have moved, search out an bariatric surgeon where you live. I would think the nutritionist there has dealt with these issues often and would have some sound advice. They also have some motivation to make you successful as your success is a reflection on the success of WLS in general. 

I personally, then would feel more confident going on a lower calorie regime knowing I was under a professional's care. (And a professional who wouldn't balk at a 800 cal/day diet, unlike alot of general practitioners!) 

And please stay on the forum! :) 

Thank you guys so much for your input! I've been trying to stick to 800-900 calls for the past week, but find it nearly impossible. Not having any restriction makes it hard, as does having a two year old that I always have to taste what she's eating or clean up that last bite, etc etc. So I guess that kind of makes my original post moot. I have been sticking to about 1000-1200 though. I went back and looked at my calorie logs from about 6-9 months post op and was surprised to find that I was actually eating about 1200ish calories then. So I guess it's good to know that I can lose weight on that amount. 

I'm so bummed about where I'm at. In my head, I know I'm only 20lbs more than my lowest weight. And I felt, and looked,AMAZING at that weight (my cholesterol, BP, and blood sugar were also good) But it just seems almost impossible to lose that 20lbs. I've been trying for nearly two years. I'll do really well for a few weeks, then fall off the wagon and just go crazy eating all sorts of terrible things. I mean, for good or bad, I can basically eat however I want and maintain at about 175... Which isn't a horrible weight, all in all. So part of me wants to just throw in the towel and accept this as my fate. But I don't look good, I don't feel good, and my health isn't good. At this point, I know consistency is the key though. That's what the surgery gives you that I never was able to give myself before. I'm really trying to recommit to that idea. It's just hard. As hard as it was pre surgery... And I obviously was never successful on my own. 

I try and fill up on protein.  Don’t feel you have to finish off your toddlers plate.  It’s ok to throw food out.  Keep the crap or trigger foods out of the house.  Teach your toddler healthy eating skills early.  Ask yourself if what you are putting in your mouth has any nutritional value.  Find healthy alternatives.  Zoodles come to mind.  If I’m hungry I often reach for an apple-it’s dense and fills me up.  It beats a hand full of cookies, or chips or some other junk.  When the grandkids visit they love apples dipped in Greek yogurt.   I get my protein so that isn’t a worry when I eat an apple.

@SkinnyMinnie123 You don't have any restriction?  

@SkinnyMinnie123

Important post. 

My two cents is that you may be a person who needs a modicrum of exercise every day to get to where you want to be. Hard with a toddler but even 15-20 minutes of walking a mile makes a difference. Other advice - lots of protein, limit carbos, do NOT finish toddler foods - ring true to me. When my son was young he at times lived, it seems to me although it can't be true, on Annie's Organic white cheese elbow noodles, which well would not be my Weight Loss Surgery food now. I often think that it is the tiny, small, "unimportant" bites / snacks I eat that undermine me. When I exercise at a high level then my bad habits and behaviors don't have as big an impact. My exercise allows me to, well, do okay despite having the Burgundy Boy bad habits. 

You are a cold-blooded, steely-eyed, successful person who had WLS and regained some weight. Pfft. Am sure you can do this. Don't be bummed. Even if with all the chaos of having a youngster, just adhering to the 1200 calories a day you'll be successful. If you can squeeze a few miles in here and there, all the better. 

On 10/10/2018 at 1:28 PM, tracyringo said:

@SkinnyMinnie123 You don't have any restriction?  

Not really. I've always felt like my surgeon screwed up on me a bit. My husband had surgery a month later and still has way more restriction than I have. I can out eat him by quite a bit.