SarahBMelbs

The final countdown!

Hi All!

So I'm 2 weeks (today) out til my procedure. I don't think it's sunk in that this is actually happening!

Sometimes when I stop and actually think about it, I have a mini panic attack. Is this normal? :huh:

On a side note - been on the pre-op diet for 5 weeks now and lost close to 8 kgs. My MIL told me I'm shrinking before her eyes. :D Best. Feeling. Ever.!!

S xx

What you're going through is perfectly normal Sarah - this is truly a major life changing step.

Congratulations on losing that first 8kg (17.6 lb) - putting that into perspective, a gallon of water is 3.78kg.  You've lost the weight of just over 2 gallons of water!

On 10/3/2018 at 6:35 AM, SarahBMelbs said:

Hi All!

So I'm 2 weeks (today) out til my procedure. I don't think it's sunk in that this is actually happening!

Sometimes when I stop and actually think about it, I have a mini panic attack. Is this normal? :huh:

On a side note - been on the pre-op diet for 5 weeks now and lost close to 8 kgs. My MIL told me I'm shrinking before her eyes. :D Best. Feeling. Ever.!!

First of all, congratulations on a VERY successful pre-op loss! So happy for you! And you're showing your commitment which will continue into post surgery. 

I can relate to the mini panic attack. I remember the last couple weeks having flashes of panic even though I was looking forward to the surgery. I had never had surgery of any kind. I even remember thinking, "Well, I can back out up until they put me under! " I figured the little panic flashes were probably normal and tried not to listen to them. You are doing this FOR YOUR HEALTH and FOR YOUR HEALTHY FUTURE. You've got this. 

I am SO glad I did it. And I am SO much healthier now than just 7 months ago. I feel so grateful I live in a time with this tool is available to help me live a long and healthy life. Even 10 years ago I probably wouldn't have had this available to me. 

Deep Breaths! :wub:  It's all good! 

On 10/3/2018 at 7:35 AM, SarahBMelbs said:

Hi All!

S xx

Congrats, congrats!

(People who lose weight before surgery are statistically more likely to have good weight loss after surgery too. Way to go!)

Congrats on getting the process underway and also on your pre-op losses! You have some exciting times ahead.

Nervousnes (panic, even) is pretty normal I think. I’d be more worried if you weren’t worried at all! You’re making a big (positive) life change, and fear of the unknown is natural. The good news is that surgery is very safe these days and the losses will come, no doubt about that. Just follow your doctor’s plan and keep your eyes on the prize.

Thank you all so much! It's so exciting that this is all so real now! Deep breaths! :P

Quick question though, today we had a BBQ with friends and family and I had a small amount of chicken breast (about 150g) with my cup of grilled veggies, instead of my protein shake. Is that going to cause problems with my liver pre surgery?

21 minutes ago, SarahBMelbs said:

Thank you all so much! It's so exciting that this is all so real now! Deep breaths! :P

Quick question though, today we had a BBQ with friends and family and I had a small amount of chicken breast (about 150g) with my cup of grilled veggies, instead of my protein shake. Is that going to cause problems with my liver pre surgery?

I doubt it. You still stuck to lean proteins & veggies. That’s basically the diet my surgeon recommends to shrink the liver pre-op (the only liquid diet she required is clear liquids for 24 hours before surgery). 

13 hours ago, SarahBMelbs said:

You'll be fine with lean chicken breast....hope you savoured every bite because post surgery many off us don't tolerate chicken breast anymore.

1 hour ago, SarahBMelbs said:

Why is that @Aussie Bear?

Most of us appear to put it down to texture and dryness. I can easily manage chicken thigh.....but breast meat not so well. That's fine with me as I prefer thigh meat for taste anyway. I guess it depends somewhat on the skill of the person cooking it. Chicken breast and to a lesser extent,  eggs which for me can be hit or miss sometimes, are really the only foods that I ate prior to my bypass that have caused some issues after surgery. I still eat eggs most days but can't tell prior to eating them if it will be a one egg or two kind of day.

Ahhh... I get you. Because we can't drink when we eat. What happens if we have a sip or 2 of water when we eat? Does it cause dumping syndrome?

6 hours ago, SarahBMelbs said:

Ahhh... I get you. Because we can't drink when we eat. What happens if we have a sip or 2 of water when we eat? Does it cause dumping syndrome?

There are lots of reasons the various surgeon's proffer for nor drinking when eating, but I haven't heard of dumping syndrome being one of them. If you want to eat chicken breast you might need to have it in some kind of Sauce....at least initially until you know your own new pouch's nuances. They all seem to have nuances....and everybody seems quite different.  I do get quite severe "late dumping syndrome" also known as reactive hypoglycemia or hyperinsulinemia. I have medication for it now but it took over a year to get properly diagnosed and referred to an endocrinologist. In my opinion there is a distinct lack of concern by doctors regarding late dumping syndrome. Give it time and you will eventually learn what's the new normal for you and how best to manage it.

9 hours ago, SarahBMelbs said:

No dumping but this video explains why we should drink while eating (regardless of what form of WLS we have):  Bariatric Patients: Why You Shouldn’t Drink While Eating

Thanka @cinwa! That actually makes a lot of sense.

I'm 8 days til surgery now and did my weekly weigh in. Another kg down. Back on the exercise band wagon this week so hoping for a 2-3kg loss before my surgery.

I'm hoping for a loss of 15kgs before we go on holidays for Christmas. The thought of being under 100kg always seemed like a dream... but now it's a realistic one. (Not like a lottery win! :P).

For those who do weights, how long before you went back to weight lifting post surgery? I'm quite strong (can do 3 x 5 115kg Romanian deadlifts), so I'd like to stay strong even after the weight loss. 

Thanks guys!

20 hours ago, SarahBMelbs said:

@cinwa 's video link is the best reason to not drink while eating. But I've also accidentally done it a few times, and I find it painful on my pouch.  I have to be careful with stews too, and just eat the solids out of it or just the liquid, but not both in the same meal. 

10 hours ago, SarahBMelbs said:

Thanka @cinwa! That actually makes a lot of sense.

I'm 8 days til surgery now and did my weekly weigh in. Another kg down. Back on the exercise band wagon this week so hoping for a 2-3kg loss before my surgery.

I'm hoping for a loss of 15kgs before we go on holidays for Christmas. The thought of being under 100kg always seemed like a dream... but now it's a realistic one. (Not like a lottery win! :P).

For those who do weights, how long before you went back to weight lifting post surgery? I'm quite strong (can do 3 x 5 115kg Romanian deadlifts), so I'd like to stay strong even after the weight loss. 

Thanks guys!

I walked 3-4 miles a day after surgery, and swam. Probably could have picked up a light lifting regimen by 3 weeks. If your abdominals are in good or excellent shape, then you should recover faster after surgery. 

On 10/8/2018 at 5:12 PM, SarahBMelbs said:

I'm quite strong (can do 3 x 5 115kg Romanian deadlifts), so I'd like to stay strong even after the weight loss. 

Wow! Those strong core muscles will certainly help in your stomach wall's recovery!

You won't be able to do that again for a while, and you may feel pretty weak for some time after surgery, but you'll be back at lifting in not toooooo long. Those muscles will also definitely help with keeping your metabolism up. 

@Jen581791 Haha. Yeah... shame I love food too much. If I could stay motivated, I'm sure I'd be a lot stronger/fitter. I have little highlander legs (part Scottish - great for climbing hills), which definitely help with the squats and lifts. 

Just hoping that I don't lose my muscle with the fat. 

Struggling to keep my blood sugar up. I eat every 3 hours, keep carbs under 20 with non starcy veggies. Within an hour I'm a mess. Sweats, dizzy, nearly passing out...

On 12/22/2018 at 10:58 AM, ShrinkingWaterlily said:

Struggling to keep my blood sugar up. I eat every 3 hours, keep carbs under 20 with non starcy veggies. Within an hour I'm a mess. Sweats, dizzy, nearly passing out...

@ShrinkingWaterlily, if you are struggling to keep your blood sugar up, you need to add healthy carbs! Keeping your carbs that low, unless you have reactive hypoglycemia, is going to make it worse. Are you a diabetic? Or is this sugar issue newer since your surgery? I’d definitely talk to your doctor about it, but if you’re a type 2 diabetic like me, and your sugar drops below 70, you have to treat it with carbs. Good luck and I hope you can get this under control soon! Feel better