Mermayzing

How long after eating or drinking can I lay down

Hi all. I am on day 2 after having my bypass. I am finding that after I "eat" my 30ml I need to walk as it feels stuck. Can any one give me some advice on how long after eating or drinking can I lay down. I think I read somewhere half an hour???

I was never given any guidelines about waiting before I laid down after eating or drinking. 

Drinking has never been a problem - I've always taken a drink to bed with me and most of it is gone before I get up and I have never felt any any discomfort.  But I have never eaten within 1 1.5 to 2 hours of laying down so I can't help with that.  Hopefully, others will share their experiences.

12 hours ago, Mermayzing said:

Hi all. I am on day 2 after having my bypass. I am finding that after I "eat" my 30ml I need to walk as it feels stuck. Can any one give me some advice on how long after eating or drinking can I lay down. I think I read somewhere half an hour???

The half hour may be related to sleeve patients because of reflux. I am not a bypasser though, it could be both.

16 hours ago, Mermayzing said:

It's possible you're just consuming your 30ml a little faster than your pouch wants you to. If it's all fluids, it should go right through your pouch - there's no valve on the bottom, so nothing to keep the liquids in. I was fortunate enough to be allowed to watch my leak test on the X-ray machine, and it just all swirled quickly through, not even stopping for a second. You're very early out, so the swelling in your pouch is probably just making you feel uncomfortable. That sounds pretty normal. 

When you move to thicker liquids and purees and then to regular old food, it will definitely stay in your pouch longer. Depending on the food, it might stay a long time! After eating things that tend to stay around a while, I tend to wait an hour to drink, and then just take very small sips for a few minutes until whatever is in there has had a chance to get mixed up with the water and move through. If I take big gulps, it tends to just sit on top of the food and feel stuck for a while. 

After drinking, I tend to wait a few minutes before lying down so it feels like the liquid has passed through my pouch completely. I don't need to do that after eating (not that I eat right before bed, but if I did...)

Best of luck - your new anatomy is probably feeling pretty strange, but it'll start to feel more normal soon.