Rosemarie6

New just finished tier 3

Hello I have just finished my one year on tier 3 weight loss programme hopefully will hear soon about tier 4   , im still unsure which surgery to have bypass or sleeve , I know you can put weight back on with sleeve and because I have recently been diagnosed with diabetics I know the bypass would be good my concern with bypass is long term is it good for you if you dont absorb nutrients from food will I end up looking really skinny and ill , and when your older  can you fight of illnesses also how does your body retain some weight if everything bypasses you dont just loose weight for ever you would be a stick ? Sorry I sound silly but trying to get info ,also would love to hear from those that have had both with experiences of what its like after side effects what u can cant eat etc many thanks x

There are several good threads on here about this very subject.  Likely after reading them you will come to the conclusion that most people do very well on which ever surgery they choose as long as they stick with the program they are given. Weight re-gain happens after both bypass and sleeve; there are plenty of those stories on here also.  It never happens to people to stick with the plan.  You do have to stick with a lifetime of supplements with either sleeve or bypass but it absolutely critical with bypass. 

There are lots of people on here who are several years out post bypass and others who are several years out sleeve.  I am about 4 years out from sleeve and wouldn't change a thing.   Except maybe to have done it sooner :)

Whatever you and your program decides, I wish you much success! 

I had a gastric bypass several years ago and it was the best decision of my life (besides marrying my wonderful spouse).  I lost my excess weight and have kept it off  

I am not sick looking; instead, I am healthy, thin, active and very very happy about having my surgery. My only regret is that I did not have my surgery earlier. 

2 hours ago, Rosemarie6 said:

Hello I have just finished my one year on tier 3 weight loss programme hopefully will hear soon about tier 4   , im still unsure which surgery to have bypass or sleeve , I know you can put weight back on with sleeve and because I have recently been diagnosed with diabetics I know the bypass would be good my concern with bypass is long term is it good for you if you dont absorb nutrients from food will I end up looking really skinny and ill , and when your older  can you fight of illnesses also how does your body retain some weight if everything bypasses you dont just loose weight for ever you would be a stick ? Sorry I sound silly but trying to get info ,also would love to hear from those that have had both with experiences of what its like after side effects what u can cant eat etc many thanks x

Now is when to think about the likelihoods. If you just take your vitamins and such you will not become vitamin deficient. The surgery has a high success rate and while you CAN regain weight, most people have at most modest regain. As others have said, if you follow your dietary plan it is unlikely you will regain a significant amount. 

re: you question about just loosing weight and looking really skinny and ill ... with a bypass you don't absorb about 10% of what you take in. It is NOT that you don't absorb your food, it is just shaded down a bit. Think of it as just removing a few percent of the calories. What actually happens is people lose weight and look healthy and normal. Not skinny and ill. If people were skinny and ill then the surgery would have been abandoned a long time ago. ;)

The biggest problem with regain in either surgery is not sticking to the plan. Stick to the plan with either surgery and you will lose the weight and not regain.

Good luck with which ever surgery you choose.

Welcome! I had bypass about 2.5 years ago and to echo @Res Ipsa, it’s the best decision I’ve ever made. Post-op, I have been sick exactly twice (strep throat and food poisoning) and haven’t had any other issues other than currently having a slight deficiency in B12 because I’ve slacked on taking my vitamins. And while I’m definitely on the thin side, I’m still in the range of normal. People tend to assume I’m an actress or model (that’s Southern California for you) and are usually shocked to find out my age because they assume I’m at least a decade younger, so I definitely don’t look sickly to the general public. 

Like everyone said, getting too skinny because of bypass shouldn’t really a concern. Regain is a bigger issue, but if you stick to plan and are diligent, you likely will be ok. 

Edited by athenarose

Hi thanks all sorry if I sounded rude or offensive  saying skinny /ill looking I didn't mean it in that way , I dont really understand the ops properly yet I thought with the bypass you dont absorb any fat from foods thats why I couldn't work out how you dont just keep getting slimmer and slimmer but I now know as above comment its just like absorbing less calories , and with the ill I meant side effects dumping syndrome , being sick when eat etc  ,  how have people been with that type of thing  ,I would rather bypass I think as im.diebetic but the lack of absorbing vitamins frim food , dumping syndrome make me nervous to how I may feel , I don't want be out and suddenly need run to toilet etc ,alcohol wont bother me I will just need to get used to know takeaways and birthday cake at parties although im doing good at moment cutting back , as with food do you have to take 40 mins to eat it ? And what sort of portion size fills you up after bypass xx

33 minutes ago, Rosemarie6 said:

Hi thanks all sorry if I sounded rude or offensive  saying skinny /ill looking I didn't mean it in that way , I dont really understand the ops properly yet I thought with the bypass you dont absorb any fat from foods thats why I couldn't work out how you dont just keep getting slimmer and slimmer but I now know as above comment its just like absorbing less calories , and with the ill I meant side effects dumping syndrome , being sick when eat etc  ,  how have people been with that type of thing  ,I would rather bypass I think as im.diebetic but the lack of absorbing vitamins frim food , dumping syndrome make me nervous to how I may feel , I don't want be out and suddenly need run to toilet etc ,alcohol wont bother me I will just need to get used to know takeaways and birthday cake at parties although im doing good at moment cutting back , as with food do you have to take 40 mins to eat it ? And what sort of portion size fills you up after bypass xx

Yes, with gastric bypass you absorb fewer calories - about 11% according to one scientific study:

https://academic.oup.com/ajcn/article/92/4/704/4597483

Dumping syndrome affects most but not all gastric bypass patients.  Dumping syndrome is not a rush to the toilet problem.  When you "dump" you feel ill, a bit dizzy and want to lie down for 15-30 minutes or so.  Although it is physically harmless, it is not pleasant.  I dump about once a year, now but only after I foolishly eat too much ice cream :blink:.  Other people dump on other foods or drinks.  The important point is that once you find out what makes you dump (if anything), you simply avoid eating that food or drink.  For me it is not a big deal (and good for my health) that I avoid ice cream due to the risk of dumping. In my opinion, a fear of dumping is not a reason to avoid having a gastric bypass.  Note also that some gastric sleeve patients report have dumping syndrome.  

In terms of vitamin absorption, after a gastric bypass you need to take vitamin and mineral pills daily for the rest of your life.  It really is not that big a hassle, although it is very important for your health.

Although your diet is restricted in size and content in the months after your surgery, in order to let your stomach recover and to maximize weight loss, in the long term successful gastric bypass patients eat a very normal healthy diet focused on lean proteins rather than carbs, and without large portions.  I do not miss at all the unhealthy amounts of food that I used to eat before my surgery.

Rosemarie6,

I can only speak from experience but it's been just over 11 years since my gastric bypass.  Truthfully, I have never been sick (I had the foamies once when I swallowed a big piece of unchewed strawberry) but I have followed my food guidelines and not pushed the envelope with sugar and fats (those are most likely to cause issues).  And I have adhered to the vitamin and mineral schedule I was given. 

At your Tier 4 appointment you will meet a Doctor so write down your concerns.  Also, ask about their patient group meetings.  There's nothing like talking with those who've walked-the-walk.

I had my nutrition class today and learned I’ll have to take vitamins 4 times a day. Yes it’s a sacrifice but I assume with a tiny pouch I’ll be eating about 4 x a day anyway. I’ll have to just get used to it. Doing these maintenance tasks all day should eventually become a habit, wouldn’t you guys say? Eating, drinking, vitamins, protein...?

1 hour ago, MeadowBlue said:

I had my nutrition class today and learned I’ll have to take vitamins 4 times a day. Yes it’s a sacrifice but I assume with a tiny pouch I’ll be eating about 4 x a day anyway. I’ll have to just get used to it. Doing these maintenance tasks all day should eventually become a habit, wouldn’t you guys say? Eating, drinking, vitamins, protein...?

Definitely become new habits....as long as you determine to follow your plan. I know many folk who don't care about the vitamin regime so it never becomes a habit. That said I sat in on one of my sisters appointments with her bariatric surgeon and she said many people openly admit to not taking their vitamins and they have no deficiencies while others that say they take them religiously still end up with major deficiencies.  I've certainly taken mine religiously up until now and some of my blood testing is showing certain vitamins and minerals way above normal levels, so I  admit I'm now feeling some temptation to see what happens if I don't take certain ones between now and my next lot of tests.