Sassie1954

3 weeks post op

Hi new here 64 years old started purée diet last Wednesday.  Did excellent with surgery no complications.  Just hit the 3 week lull and gained 2.6 pounds.  I have read post on this, but I do understand that part of it. Found out last week that I have to take to Thyrogen injections (1a day for 2 days ) and then 3rd day have full body scan and another round of Radioactive Iodine.  December 6, 2016 had my Thyroid removed and was found to have cancer.  Then February 28, 2017 took double dose Radioactive Iodine.  Endocrinologist ultrasounded my neck and found thyroid cell attached to parathyroid is reason for this. The double dose of radioactive iodine that I had taken should have killed all the thyroid cells.  Worse part of all of this is my endocrinologist informed me that this will cause weight gain again and first time I gained from 269 to 289.9. From Dec 2016 to February 2017.  That is the worse part upsetting me about having this surgery and putting weight back on. I feel like my journey has been spoiled and all I want is to get my weight off and get off my meds and cpap.  Should I ask my Gastric surgeon if I need to go back on preop diet again. And start the process from puréed again

Congratulations, it sounds like surgery went well and you are on your way to the new healthier you!

Sorry to hear of the thyroid complicating factor.  As you know there are many reasons for weight gain, with thyroid hormones being one of them.  Your diet right now is geared toward healing your new baby sleeve so there is no reason to go back to a pre-op diet.  You should stick to your post-op plan and get your thyroid taken care of, knowing that your weight loss may be slowed due to that issue.  However, it will happen.  Just stay on plan and it will happen.  Slow weight loss is still weight loss.  At your next surgery follow up, for sure let them know about what's going on with your thyroid but I don't think it will change anything about your post-op situation. 

@Sassie1954,

Congratulations on your surgery!! Please don’t let a small gain stress you out. It’s more than likely water retention, and you’re so early post op and eating so little, it’s not a true weight gain anyway. 

I need to ask you about what your endo told you. What is he saying will cause weight gain for you? Thyrogen, RAI, both? I only ask because I had thyroid cancer as well, and I had a TT in April of 2016. I had a moderate dose (100 mci) of RAI in August of 2016, along with Thyrogen injections the two days prior as well. I can see him warning you about possible weight gain from going the med withdrawal route, but thyrogen shouldn’t cause any lasting weight gain. It raises your TSH rapidly (as I’m sure you know), but it’s out of your system fairly quickly also. I had weight gain between my TT and RAI as well, but it was because I completely abandoned my healthy eating plan after I was diagnosed. I was stressed and depressed. Especially because my thyroid cancer was diagnosed about a week before I was supposed to have my gastric bypass, and I ended up having to postpone the bypass for a year. You are in a unique situation in that you are newly post op. Another round of thyrogen and RAI should not cause weight gain for you this time around. The low iodine diet you’ll need to do before RAI can, and does (in my opinion) cause some of the weight gain...mainly because of the junk food options available on it. You won’t be able to eat any of the “junky” LID foods this time around. 

Take a DEEP breath, try to relax the best you can about this, and try to take your endo’s warnings of weight gain with a grain of salt. Stick to your post op eating plan as best you can, and try to concentrate on getting yourself through your treatment. I will be sending my best prayers to you that everything turns out well. You are going to get through this, I promise!! I’m here if you have any questions or concerns...from someone that’s been through it ❤️

He said it would be lot of water weight but has told me nothing about stopping salt this time I didn’t get Thyrogen shots last time but a double dose of radioactive iodine this time he says the radioactive iodine dose will be real low and I don’t have to stay away from anyone. He says it will throw off my weight loss since I am so early post op.  Just wanted me to be sure to tell my surgeon so that the surgeon won’t be upset thinking something wrong with my sleeve during the period I would be gaining. I was eating healthy first round and I gained over 20# in 2 weeks