Kio

Request - Egg drop soup instructions

Hi folks - I know some of you like @BurgundyBoy and @CheeringCJ make an egg drop soup with broth and an egg, and on a chilly early fall day like today, that sounds outstanding.  Could someone walk me through the process, step by step?  (Like, explain it to me like I'm five... I can't picture how one "whisks in" an egg, and do you use the yolk too?  Mixed with the white like for scrambled eggs?  Or no?  What kind of broth?  I have some Better than Bouillon chicken broth concentrate here, and also some boxed bone broth.  What would work best?)

Edited by Kio

Not BB or CheeringCJ but I frequently make egg drop soup for my DH.  I can't stand the stuff but he adores it.  

I use this basic recipe and add cooked chicken to it and I also save all my bones and roast them with some vegetables for a more flavourful broth. 

There's a video to go with the recipe which I found helpful although it wasn't as complicated as I imagined it would be:  https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/45515/restaurant-style-egg-drop-soup/

This has some great ideas for adding veggies and meat (DH likes spicy sausage or shrimp and kale):  https://www.theorganickitchen.org/more-egg-citing-egg-drop-soup/

Hi @Kio the mixing of the egg into the soup base is pretty easy, you can't mess it up. Let me add some tips:

- Crack an egg into a small bowl. Using a small fork break the yolk, and mix the egg a bit. Place it aside. 

- Start with 1 cup of chicken broth or an equivalent, like fish concentrate or beef bouillon. Add ~ 15 mls (one tablespoon) of vinegar or lemon juice. Heat the broth in a small pan to a rolling boil. The vinegar or lemon juice will help the egg to form wispy delicious filaments and not big clumps when you add the egg. 

- Once the boil is rolling, turn the heat off. Without delay, slowly pour the egg into the hot broth, while using your other hand to mix the broth with the same fork you used earlier to break the yolk and mix the egg. The more you mix, the smaller the egg bits will be. The hot water/vinegar will instantly cook the egg. 

- Consider dressing this up by adding thinly sliced scallion rounds and 1 teaspoon of sesame oil. I often add Tabasco (both spiciness and vinegar) or fish sauce (umami flavor, salt). If you add the scallion to the broth before the egg, the egg may clump on the scallion rounds, so I add it after adding the egg. 

At its best this takes less than a minute to make, is both delicious and fragrant, and has no carbs to speak of. 

Thank you, @BurgundyBoy! that does sound very simple, totally having that for dinner.  :D  I don't have any fish sauce but I'll add a bit of soy, I think, and see how it goes.  We do have sesame oil, though...

4 hours ago, Kio said:

Thank you, @BurgundyBoy! that does sound very simple, totally having that for dinner.  :D  I don't have any fish sauce but I'll add a bit of soy, I think, and see how it goes.  We do have sesame oil, though...

My son is vegan, so when I make this for him, I also use soy. I think you'll be happy. Now that I think about it, there is no reason not to use this as the base liquid for a more substantive meal, with perhaps diced tofu, or cooked ground pork, as is common in Asia; or perhaps more adventurous ingredients... still with these very easy to have a WLS-supportive meal.

Fish sauce tends to be one of those ingredients people love or hate. When a few drops are added to food, it adds a lot of flavor yet the fish flavors/origin are not so dominant.  I am informed that the ancient Romans also adored (and were hopelessly addicted to) fish sauce. Both are made by packing barrels of fish with heaps of salt and letting it rot for a year. Delicious stuff. I mean, what's not to like? It's always a shock for people when they have cooed over a cup and how delicious it is, to hear of the reason it is so different... :cool: