formyfamily3

Starting to freak out a little

My sleeve surgery is coming up soon.  I have finished all preop testing.  I am starting to freak out about surgery, hospital and most of all recovery and life after. So scared...Trying to keep in perspective I have yet to talk to someone who regrets it. 

Hi, @formyfamily3, I'm not a sleeve person, but as a bypass person, all I can say is that it's really normal to be freaked out. Surgery is scary for anyone and any reason. Uncertainty about how things will work out afterwards is scary for anyone. However, the vast majority of people who do WLS have a very successful experience. Things I worried about "missing out on" like big celebration meals and special occasion meals and social meals are just not things I feel like I miss out on. I am just way less preoccupied with food and feel content to eat a few bites of things I really like and call it good. My life is very different now, but in a 100% better way. Try to imagine how awesome your life will be when your health has improved and you're feeling better about yourself. I feel healthier, younger, and better able to deal with just about everything, from flying economy to going hiking to standing up and talking in front of large groups. Shopping is fun, I don't worry about people's opinions of me, and I enjoy looking at pictures of myself. Life is better in so many ways.

When is your surgery? Mine is coming up in 8 days and I am freaked out and excited at the same time! I am on day 7 of my liquid pre op diet. . . Makes me really want to get to surgery time!!

9 hours ago, formyfamily3 said:

My sleeve surgery is coming up soon.  I have finished all preop testing.  I am starting to freak out about surgery, hospital and most of all recovery and life after. So scared...Trying to keep in perspective I have yet to talk to someone who regrets it. 

Jen is right - what you're feeling isn't unusual - bariatric surgery is a big step.

But things to focus on is you're already dealing with rheumatoid arthritis and high blood pressure - both of which are affected by obesity.

How Fat Affects Rheumatoid Arthritis  

"Fat is chemically active, constantly releasing proteins that cause inflammation, which then turns up the “volume” of RA itself.

Fat cells, or adipocytes, release proteins called cytokines that, in excess, cause constant, low-grade inflammation throughout the body. “Fat, or adipose, tissue is a source of many of the same inflammatory cytokines that are produced by inflamed joint tissue in people with inflammatory arthritis,” says Jon T. Giles, MD, MPH, assistant professor of medicine at Columbia University in New York City.

The more pounds you add, the more of these proteins circulate in the body, which also seems to lead to more severe RA, says Dr. Shoenfeld, author of a 2014 Autoimmunity Reviews analysis that looked at 329 studies of obesity in autoimmune diseases.

“Fat is not a passive bystander in RA and other autoimmune diseases,” explains immunologist Yehuda Shoenfeld, MD, director of the Zabludowicz Center for Autoimmune Diseases in Tel Aviv, Israel. “When you have an excess of fat cells, it produces higher levels of inflammatory proteins that aggravate the inflammation that is already within joints.”...."  

And I think we all know the dangers of obesity and high blood pressure but it might help settle your nerves to do some reading on it.

What is hard for you to understand about recovery right now is how FAST it goes by.  I felt pretty good immediately after surgery, and got better every day - by a week out, I was just a little tired near the end of the day, but absolutely not debilitated.  I never had much pain - just twinges when I turned or bent too suddenly.  After two weeks I was able to do basically anything I wanted (though I absolutely obeyed my doctor's rules on not lifting anything over 10 lbs for 6 weeks.)  I could have easily gone back to work after one week - I work an office job and I work from home.  But I took the three weeks because...

The other thing you will have trouble understanding is that eating and drinking is like your full time job in the first month or so, and the transition from clear liquids to full liquids to purees will fully occupy your mind.  You probably won't be hungry, so you'll schedule "eating" and drinking.  Every time you're done, it will be time to do it again.  And the transitions feel super fast - you'll be eating actual food again almost before you're ready.  In fact, I WAS allowed solid food again before I was ready - I stayed in the puree stage a while longer because while my program said I could, my stomach said ohhhhh, maybe not yet.  ;) 

You're going to feel super self-centered for a while.  Everything will be about you - what your body needs/wants, and what's happening to your body as it adjusts to its new normal.  It's really interesting and fascinating.  I know it's scary right now, but as soon as you're done with surgery it's different - it's just what life is, and you get used to it really fast.  Your new digestive system will help a lot with that, by not triggering you with hunger and cravings for a really long time. 

Good luck, and keep us posted!  Can't wait to welcome you to the Loser's Bench.

12 hours ago, formyfamily3 said:

and @Daisygirl

You'll both be fine. Do not let unreasonable fears hold you back or cause you unreasonable mental discomfort. 

If you had gallstones and had had some pain, and instead of weight loss surgery had scheduled the removal of your gall bladder -> you would be relieved, not worried, by your upcoming surgery, and statistically WLS has the same or LOWER risks as gallbladder removal. B) 

My life is so much better now that I had WLS ...

34 minutes ago, Mama_Gee said:

I am concerned because I am not on a liquid diet and my surgery is on Monday.

Hi, @Mama_Gee - I didn't have a surgeon-required liquid diet until two days before surgery (to flush out all the gunk, I imagine...). Do you have something like that? I mean, I had put myself on a low carb, WLS friendly diet about a month before, and had a low carb/low cal diet from the surgeon for maybe 3 or 4 days before? But that was it. The surgeon only required liquid for the last two days.

I was only required to do a clear liquid diet the day before.  

I didn't have a pre-op diet.  I was just required to lose weight between seeing the surgeon for the first time and the day of surgery.  And I wasn't put on a liquid diet either - just nothing after midnight the night before.

On 11/3/2018 at 12:11 PM, Mama_Gee said:

...  and my surgery is on Monday.

Let us know how you do ... Here's hoping you have a smooth day of surgery and recovery. Walk, sip, walk, sip ...