Daisygirl

2 week liquids

Hello! Tomorrow I start my 2 week pre-op diet and I am looking for some advice. I am to drink 5 Premier protein drinks along with clear liquids which includes broth. I was wondering how far apart to drink the shakes to keep you “full”?

I can only speak from experience but protein drinks should give you some sensation of fullness compared to water but the effect don't last too long and the only reason that happens is that the pH of stomach acid is low enough to coagulate the milk proteins so it stays in the stomach a little longer.

Personally, warm drinks are better at satisfying a grumbling tummy - I like Celestial Seasonings tea for that.

As for how far apart to drink the shakes - that's entirely up to you but try not to drink too much shortly before bedtime or you'll be up and down all night.

13 hours ago, Daisygirl said:

Hello! Tomorrow I start my 2 week pre-op diet and I am looking for some advice. I am to drink 5 Premier protein drinks along with clear liquids which includes broth. I was wondering how far apart to drink the shakes to keep you “full”?

Daisygirl try 1/2 a shake every two-three hours, with clear liquids between if needed. That may help keep you level. I prefer hot broth with various spices to make it more interesting to plain broth or water. If you are doing this for 2 weeks you will go into ketosis since your carbohydrate intake will be low. Thus: expect you may not feel great with the "ketosis flu" for the first 4-5 days, then (happily) followed by the clarity of thinking and lack of hunger than ketosis brings on. 

I preferred semi-freezing the one for lunch and dinner and eating them with a spoon.  Helped me feel like I was "eating".  So, I had hot tea first thing in the morning, and a shake for breakfast mid-morning.  Frozen shake for lunch, regular shake late afternoon, frozen shake for dinner and broth and/or an additional shake later in the evening if needed.  I only had to do that a couple of days, the first 10 days I could have lean protein and veggies for dinner.  It isn't much fun but it is doable and a small price to pay for the gloriously healthy life that is in your near future!

Thank you all!! Today was not as bad as I had anticipated. The broth at lunch definitely helped and I imagine it will in a bit for dinner as well! I will try a frozen shake for dessert tonight!

Edited by Daisygirl

I agree with @msmarymac about the frozen shakes. I blend shakes with a bit of ice (and psyllium husks to keep things "moving") and the thicker consistency is satisfying. 

Clear liquids included sugar free popsicles for me, too, and those were a nice crunchy treat in between shakes. I discovered that some evil genius has come up with boxes of all red flavored popsicles (cherry, strawberry, who knows what other lovely artificial flavors) in the years since my popsicle-eating heyday decades ago. I ate a lot of red popsicles during my pre-op diet.