Sign in to follow this  
Boston Redhead

Meal delivery service

Is there a meal delivery service out there that most closely mirrors the high protein etc. way we’re supposed to eat? I’m still pre surgery and having a hard time getting started. I thought if I started with a delivery service or nutri system or something like that, it might help.

Gosh, I doubt it. Post-op, I eat so little, a meal delivery service would be kind of a waste. But pre-op, maybe you could check out different meal delivery services in your area that offer low carb options. Maybe call around to small, boutique type gyms/CrossFit type places and ask if they know of anyone? Also, if you look in the frozen meal section at the grocery store, there are Atkins meals as well as lean cuisine type meals...just check the carb content. It’s really such a simple diet at it’s core. Lean proteins and vegetables (avoiding more carb heavy stuff like potatoes & corn). So, veg heavy omelets for breakfast, salad with chicken for lunch, fish and steamed broccoli for dinner. And in between meals, snack on deli meat, boiled eggs, etc. Be sure to include some fats to help satiate you. Probably not the answer you’re looking for, but hopefully it helps a bit.

Certainly, in the early few months post-op, you're not likely to be able to eat enough to make any food delivery service worth the expense.

Along with the frozen meals that Rachael mentions, in the early stages post-op, the chilled and deli sections of your local store could be your best friend.  Lean cooked meats, shrimp, pouches of tuna and salmon,   Campbell's Healthy Request Soups etc. (pour off some of the gravy - save it for a warm drink later) - use small freezer containers for the rest.

Some of the services like "Hello Fresh" have Paleo and Keto options or so I've read.  Those are probably closest to what you'll stick to post op; protein first then veggies.  That might be helpful pre-op or later post-op.  In the early post-op it will be a waste as you'll need liquids then soft for awhile, then such tiny amounts that probably one meal would last all week.  Has your program not provided you with pre-op guidance?  I'd ask them for help, that's what they are there for.