never2late

Energy? and transition

Hi,

So when will I get this energy everyone talks about? I'm 21 days post op, lost 20 pds so far. And I have days all I want to do is sleep! no energy.

Also, I have one more week of soft foods and then I'm on my own the doc says. So what's the transition like? ( coming off puree / soft stage) Any pointers? 

You're still recovering from surgery, even if you feel like you're all healed up. I was really low on energy for the first 6 weeks or so, and it came back slowly rather than gradually. The energy will come, believe me :) In the meantime, take naps, be kind to yourself, and don't push the food stages. 

Coming off the puree/soft stage is weird. The denser the food, the tinier the amount that will make you feel stuffed! Hilariously small portions. To get you through that phase, you might want to take a look at The World According to Eggface's blog  - she has a ton of great recipes. Ricotta bake is amazing in the soft phase but you can keep on eating it after that, for sure.

Go slow. Don't push yourself. Try new things in a cautious way. Put your fork/spoon down between bites. Eat measured amounts. Don't count on your stomach to tell you when to stop: measure your food. If you have a bad food experience, just retreat back to soft foods for a meal or two if you need to. Try using special tiny plates, forks, and spoons (I still use small ones when at home) to make it look like you have a full plate/spoon of food. Use the same size bowls/plates all the time so your brain learns what size is a new portion for your stomach. If you're the kind of person it's useful for, use a food tracker like My Fitness Pal to monitor your intake and keep yourself honest.

Best of luck!

Ditto everything @Jen581791 said. I was exhausted for a solid two months after surgery and, even now, nearly 2.5 years out, there are still days that I come home from the gym and take a nap. I never got some crazy energy boost. Things became easier after surgery as the weight came off, so I can do things that I couldn’t do before, but I definitely didn’t magically become high energy. And like Jen said,  go easy as you add foods to your diet. Kind of like when you’re introducing a baby to new foods (not sure if you have kids, but that’s the best analogy I can think of).

2 hours ago, athenarose said:

Ditto everything @Jen581791 said. I was exhausted for a solid two months after surgery and, even now, nearly 2.5 years out, there are still days that I come home from the gym and take a nap. I never got some crazy energy boost. Things became easier after surgery as the weight came off, so I can do things that I couldn’t do before, but I definitely didn’t magically become high energy. 

This has been exactly my experience. I'm about a year and a half out, and I can definitely do a lot more than before surgery, which is great. But it's not like I magically started dancing through the meadows on my way to work or anything like that!

Both WLS and Skin reduction surgery drained all energy out of me I want to say or was 2-3 months after WLS that I felt better and started doing things again. I went through Skin reduction on July13, and now staring to get everything back to normal and doing some extra stuff.

Be patient. Your energy will come back and improve. It’s just different for each individual.

Edited by Bob J

It was a good 2 months before I felt close to normal and kept up with my protein intake.  And to this day, the key for me is to maintain my protein intake which I still do with a protein shake or two because I don't eat meat (I do eat fish/shellfish, dairy and a limited amount of beans).

11 hours ago, never2late said:

Hi,  ... So when will I get this energy everyone talks about? I'm 21 days post op, ... all I want to do is sleep! no energy.  ...  Also, I have one more week of soft foods and then I'm on my own the doc says. So what's the transition like? ( coming off puree / soft stage) Any pointers? 

Only comment to add is that you may find you have more energy if you are in ketosis. A lot of people describe a kind of even alertness and level energy during ketosis. You just may find a bit more energy if you can minimize carbs and continue to focus on protein. I think you are still too close to surgery to not expect to feel some additional fatigue. I took naps for more than a month after surgery, but don't remember the exact week I could stop. 

re: the transition, remember that being cleared to try solids doesn't mean your intestines are ready to eat shoe-leather steak, solid-as-nails overcooked shrimp, and hard-as-rocks hard boiled eggs. If you do try them, chew them into LITTLE pieces so they do not end up being stuck! A lot of people after surgery have a pretty small juncture (if they had a bypass). My surgeon fixed a hiatal hernia that she found when doing my surgery, and when I got out of surgery she told me the juncture between my esophagus and stomach was now about the size of my little (5th) finger.  :eek: I did find that if I ate big pieces -> they would get stuck.