ktallon

Need some ideas

Okay so the good news i am getting off tpn my levels are where they need to be. My doctor has advanced my diet again and i am back on regular food and tolerating it well. So now for my question i am having a serious aversion to meats they dont smell good they dont taste good and they just will not go down now. So other than the obvious yogurt cheese eggs protein shakes what are some other non meat protein options or recipes? Also i cant do any type of shellfish due to an allergy and i don't care for fish honestly. Any ideas are greatly appreciated.

Beans?  I really like Morningstar farms Spicy Black Bean patties. Cottage cheese and tomatoes is ones of my favorites right now since my garden is gifting me with such succulent tomatoes.  Nuts and nut butters, although I have to be cautious of calories with those.  I like tofu in a stir fry.

And, am so happy for the positive update!  Hopefully things will continue on that track!

Edited by msmarymac

1 hour ago, ktallon said:

Okay so the good news i am getting off tpn my levels are where they need to be. My doctor has advanced my diet again and i am back on regular food and tolerating it well. So now for my question i am having a serious aversion to meats they dont smell good they dont taste good and they just will not go down now. So other than the obvious yogurt cheese eggs protein shakes what are some other non meat protein options or recipes? Also i cant do any type of shellfish due to an allergy and i don't care for fish honestly. Any ideas are greatly appreciated.

K take a look at lentils too. They cook quickly (orange-red ones) and the green-black ones (puy lentils) are delicious by themselves or with some olive oil as part of a vegetable salad. I have relatives who are vegan - lentils and beans are the foundations of their protein intake. I frequently make puy lentils and after they are cooked dice in some red or sweet onions, parsley and olive oil, and have it at room temperature. Lots of fiber in beans and lentils too. Last night for dinner I had a small piece of sous-vide steak and some mixed veggies in black beans. 

Delighted you are off TPN. 

So glad to hear you're eating normal food again! :) 

I eat a lot of veggie stuff (I'm mostly vegetarian, with occasional exceptions). I totally agree about all the dairy options and the beans - those are all easy to eat, and high in protein and other good things. There are a million kinds of beans, and delicious recipes from all of the world's great cuisines.

I also sometimes do egg salad - it goes down easy and is cheap and easy to make. 

@msmarymac mentioned tofu, so here's my go-to recipe for tofu Thai curry (it's what's for dinner tonight). It takes just a few minutes, it's easy, pretty cheap, and can be sized up to make large batches to put in the fridge or freezer:

1. Cut some extra firm tofu into small cubes, dice sized or smaller, depending on your bite size
  2. Saute some onions in a little bit of oil until they're soft
  3. Throw in the tofu
  4. Stir in some Thai curry paste (pretty easy to find in most big grocery stores, some brands are better than others - the ones that come in little plastic tubs are usually better than the ones in a jar) - red, green, yellow, it's up to you, use a couple of tablespoons or more if you like spicy. 
  5. After a few minutes, dump in a can of coconut milk (you can thin it out with a bit of broth if you're worried about calories)
  6. Toss in any veggies you like if you are tolerating them. I like sweet potato, broccoli, chopped spinach, carrots, peas. You can boil them to death if you need the veggies to be soft. 
  7. Add a little soy sauce to taste (Thais use fish sauce, but that's not necessary). Maybe a little lemon or lime juice. A spoonful or two of peanut butter is nice with red or yellow curry.

This can be made a lot fancier if you have access to Thai ingredients like fresh green peppercorns, lime leaves, fresh Thai basil, baby eggplant, fancy mushrooms, etc, but none of that is necessary.

It'll be pretty saucy, and you can serve it like a thick soup. The tofu will be really soft and taste a lot like curry and not at all like tofu. This saves in the fridge for like a week (I've tested that) and in the freezer for ages. Others eating with you can eat it over rice if you're cooking for a group.

Some people prefer the texture of tofu to be a little chewier, and if you do, you can freeze it and then thaw it and it'll give you that different texture.

Glad to hear that you've turned the corner.  You've been through a rough time.

I haven't been able to eat meat since my WLS regardless of what or how it's prepared.  Fish and shellfish are OK but I don't want that all the time.

I'm another Morningstar Farms fan and there isn't much that you can't do with them.   I had a Spicy Black Bean Burger chopped up in a stir fry last night - even DH ate all his and finished off what I left.  I confess, I out-and-out lied and told him I made it with spiced up ground beef and chopped black beans.  evilgrin0010.gif

9 hours ago, Jen581791 said:

Some people prefer the texture of tofu to be a little chewier, and if you do, you can freeze it and then thaw it and it'll give you that different texture.

I've always wondered about the texture of tofu after freezing and was afraid it would get mushy.  Now I know...thanks!

I sometimes have hummus as a dip with veggies for a snack when I need more protein. (It does has fat too.)

18 hours ago, Cindy Lou Who said:

I sometimes have hummus as a dip with veggies for a snack when I need more protein. (It does has fat too.)

Hummus is one of my favourite foods.  I use this recipe that replaces added oil with the liquid from cooked chickpeas (aquafaba).  But I often use different beans - black and cannellini.

The title is misleading - it should be no-added oil hummus:  THE BEST FLUFFY OIL-FREE HUMMUS

Thanks! I will try this! I love hummus too! So satisfying!