Onederlandgirl

10 months and feeling lost

Hi all,

I’m 10m post op today, and down 100lbs. In the last month, I’ve gone through a lot of stress-I moved(had to start from scratch since living totally on my own), stitches in my hand which prevented me from feeling well enough to work out, and general work/life stress. I was so motivated and so on track, but this last month has absolutely killed me. I know I want to change my habits and I know how well the gym makes me feel, but getting there has been a problem(and it’s worse because it’s now only 5min away, plus I have a gym in my apt complex-so literally have zero excuses). Has anyone been through this funk? How do they get up and get better before the weight gain begins? I also feel like I’ve been eating more than I should be and grazing through the day. I want to meal prep and be ready, but I just feel like a sloth every time I go and make an attempt..it’s killing me. Any advice?

First I want to say Congrats on 100 lb loss that is outstanding !  You are only 17 lbs from your goal !!  Keep your eyes on the prize. 

I am sorry you are having so many stresses at this time.  Do you track your food?  I plan all my meals and log them for the day so I know what I am eating. I totally get feeling sluggish so on days like that I make it simple.  Like for breakfast on a day like that I may have a shake for breakfast and lunch tuna creations and cottage cheese and something simple like sautéed shrimp and wild rice for dinner plus a few snacks like fruit or protein bar. I hope you get to feeling better. Good luck

3 hours ago, Onederlandgirl said:

Hi all,

I’m 10m post op today, and down 100lbs. In the last month, I’ve gone through a lot of stress-I moved(had to start from scratch since living totally on my own), stitches in my hand which prevented me from feeling well enough to work out, and general work/life stress. I was so motivated and so on track, but this last month has absolutely killed me. I know I want to change my habits and I know how well the gym makes me feel, but getting there has been a problem(and it’s worse because it’s now only 5min away, plus I have a gym in my apt complex-so literally have zero excuses). Has anyone been through this funk? How do they get up and get better before the weight gain begins? I also feel like I’ve been eating more than I should be and grazing through the day. I want to meal prep and be ready, but I just feel like a sloth every time I go and make an attempt..it’s killing me. Any advice?

You sound depressed. Of course people go through funks, episodes of depression, anxiety, and whatever else they were prone to before the surgery. Part of your journey may be to develop new habits when you are down that do not include eating. 

- Talk to the psychologist or psychiatrist at your surgical site, or at a minimum your GP/primary care. Talking helps. Are you going to the post-surgery support group? Misery does love company, and talking about things is helpful. When I have felt overwhelmed I talk to friends, family or professionals, and they help me to see that things are usually not as bad as I have thought, or that there is a route forward. 

- Walk. It's a form of exercise you can do without using your hands, and it will improve your mood. Even a mile a day will help out. 

- Post some before and now pictures here and let everyone tell you how much better you look. It will cheer you up and help motivate you. 

- Be sure you are getting enough sleep. 

Hi Onederlandgirl, and congrats on your important milestone! The century mark is a big goalpost to hit! :)

I agree that it sounds like you're depressed, and seeing the psych seems like a good idea. Let the professionals do the thing they're trained for. 

One thing that sometimes helps me get to the gym is just promising myself that I'll just put on my gym clothes and go there. That's all. No pressure to work out. Then once I'm in the door I'll persuade myself to walk on the treadmill, even if it's only slowly - once your gym clothes are on and you're in the door, it's almost easier to do something than turn around and go home. I bribe myself with good TV shows loaded onto my phone - that way I'll go on the treadmill for at least 30 minutes. By that time, I'm usually feeling better about being at the gym and do a regular workout, but at the minimum, I at least walked on the treadmill for 30 minutes. I try to look at my gym time as a good time to watch TV ;) I'm only allowed to watch Bojack Horseman at the gym, so if I want to watch it, to the gym I go.

Yesterday I was really tired and didn't feel like going to the gym at all, but went through this process and ended up getting a decent workout in. Sometimes it ends up that way, but at the minimum it always ends up with at least a minimal workout.

Exercise helps a lot with depression, but when you're depressed you don't want to exercise, so it's a cycle that can make itself worse. If you can reverse that for a few days, you can use the cycle to help you keep going, as the exercise will make you feel better, which will make you feel more like exercising, so you'll exercise more and feel better, and...

As for meal prep, I think @tracyringo said it well: make it easy. If the healthy choice is also the easiest one, you'll be more inclined to do that. Convenience food can be healthy - Greek yogurt, cheese sticks, deli chicken, tuna pouches, eggs, etc, but just don't keep the easy unhealthy stuff in the house (if you're by yourself, you hopefully are already limiting what comes in the front door). Eat the same dang thing every day for a week - that's very easy and only requires making choices on the first day and then copying that all week.

And by all means, take some photos and drop them here to show us how amazing you're looking - you'll be sure to get a million admiring compliments :) That might provide a little motivation.