CarlMarch

Pre-Op Diet day 4

I am in day 4 of my pre-op diet and already struggling.  The shakes are starting to make me nauseous and I really wanted a piece of cheese earlier... I am supposed to be drinking 5 packets a day.  I have only been able to do 4.  I double them up for breakfast and dinner.  The plus side is that I have lost 10 pounds since last weds...  I think I am just going to go to bed.  

Edited by CarlMarch

This is the day it gets easier, Carl!  My first three days were not great....butby day four my body had adjusted and the headaches and cravings and diarrhea (I know, TMI, but I did get that when I started the liquid diet!) were mostly gone. It'll get easier...and the weight dripping off helps ;) (keep your eyes on the prize!)

Carl, I'm sorry to hear you're having a difficult time, but if it helps you feel better, most people have a pretty hard first few days of the liquid diet. Your body is recovering from carb withdrawals, and your whole system is in a bit of a shock. Going to bed is always an option! You can't eat if you're asleep ;) Keep your eyes on the prize (and on the scale if it's showing 10 pounds down in a week!). There's no way out but through.

15 hours ago, CarlMarch said:

I am in day 4 of my pre-op diet and already struggling.  The shakes are starting to make me nauseous and I really wanted a piece of cheese earlier... I am supposed to be drinking 5 packets a day.  I have only been able to do 4.  I double them up for breakfast and dinner.  The plus side is that I have lost 10 pounds since last weds...  I think I am just going to go to bed.  

Yes, agree with the others you are at the hardest place now. I assume your protein shakes have 0 or low carbs? As you go into ketosis it should get better. Without knowing the details of your pre-op diet, if you are using one brand - maybe you could find some other protein shakes that are also 0 or low carbs. You should be able to speak with your Nutritionist ("NUT") over the phone for any suggestions. You DO NOT want to consume any carbs (in the shakes or in any other form) now since you are nearly over the hump! Good luck! Post here and whine, complain, weep, and moan, but don't have any carbs! :(

How did today go, @CarlMarch ?

Better today, the funny thing is my shakes are not low carb. They actually have about 17 grams of Carbs in them.  I've taken to eating my sugar-free jello while drinking my shake and it helped alot.

1 hour ago, CarlMarch said:

Better today, the funny thing is my shakes are not low carb. They actually have about 17 grams of Carbs in them.  I've taken to eating my sugar-free jello while drinking my shake and it helped alot.

Glad you're feeling better today!

Huh. Not low carb shakes. Depending on what your surgeon says, you may want to switch to lower carb shakes after surgery (or before??) because being in ketosis will really kill your appetite. Some brands people like are Premier Protein (pre-made shakes you can find at Walmart or Costco or Target or most grocery stores), Syntrax Nectar (or Nectar Sweets) available in powder on Amazon or in health and nutrition stores,  Isopure (powder and pre-made shakes) also in health stores, and GNC brand Pure Isolate (available at GNC). There are lots of other brands. The thing is to look for very low carbs (0, 1, 2...) and high protein (20+) in the form of whey isolate.

You'll get through this! :) 

Thanks, I will definitely be going low-carb. I appreciate all the responses.  

5 hours ago, CarlMarch said:

Mine were as well. Optifast by any chance? They are the go to shake used by most surgeons in Australia.  Even at three a day I still went into ketosis.  Not sure why they want so many carbs here doing the liquid diet, but I guess it's still way lower than most obese people would normally be consuming. I lost the majority of my excess weight before surgery using shakes that had 17g carbs per shake.

Be aware if it is optifast that these shakes are nutritionally balanced complete meal replacements..... Unlike other protien shakes mentioned. Don't substitute your surgeon's plan without checking with them first.

Edited by Aussie Bear

It is actually the HMR 800 calories shakes.  Each shake has 16 grams protein and 160 calories.. I guess going from 2000+ calories to 800 calories definitely does the trick..lol