Aussie Bear

Checkup today.....dilation tomorrow morning!!!!

Seems my new stoma is taking after my old one and scarring over. Saw my bariatric surgeon at my local hospital this morning for my routine checkup and he booked me in for an endoscopy with dilation for tomorrow. At least this time around we both know not to trust my stoma to stay open. Was really surprised how fast he acted, and that he wasn't going to wait for a barium swallow test (he's only here until Thursday) but I guess with a past history like mine he wasn't going to take any chances.....for that I'm grateful!!!!

I'm not worried about the dilation as I've had one in the past, plus I was half expecting it would be on the cards. Just thought it was worth the mention as they can be needed further out from surgery than the first couple of months. Hoping this doesn't become a regular thing, but I guess only time will tell on that front.

Newbie here for post op complications? What is dialation? 

1 hour ago, Anita62 said:

Newbie here for post op complications? What is dialation? 

A dilation is done during an endoscopy where they use the scope to stretch the opening where the pouch has been joined to the intestine. It can be used to dilate the oesophagus or other parts of the intestine that have narrowed. In my original surgery (32+ years ago) my opening scarred over completely and the resultant pressure caused the staple line to blow out (known as staple line dehiscence)....hence my revision surgery. At least these days surgeon's follow you forever....if you let them anyway.

I'm sorry you have to deal with that Aussie but good that they are acting speedily. 

I admit, I have never known of that happening so far out from surgery.

8 hours ago, cinwa said:

I'm sorry you have to deal with that Aussie but good that they are acting speedily. 

I admit, I have never known of that happening so far out from surgery.

Well Im heading off to the hospital in a few minutes, so will be able to let you know in a few hours what he finds.

Sending good thoughts your way.  

Good luck with surgery. This sounds awful. I hope all goes well for you. 

Back home now but OMG....I've never had an endoscopy that caused so much pain. I have no idea what he saw or did other than being told by a nurse that he didn't have to do a dilation afterall. I'll wait to hear from him if that was the case. I suspect though that I was gassed up to bursting point because the gas pain is horrendous. Is that really what life with a tiny pouch is like? Also suspect that the gas made its way into the remnant stomach because the pain coming from the right side is over the top, and I never get pain on the right side. Loads on the left but never on the right. Was told by the theatre nurse that he took many biopsies, but I won't see him again for 4 weeks to get the results. Not concerned by that because I know that biopsies are a normal part of endoscopies and I've never had a bad result from them before.  I'll check in with my family doctor when I'm in Adelaide next week and get him to read me the surgery report. His other surgery patients today all have their followups a week earlier with a different surgeon, but as I was coming out of the anesthesia I heard the nurse saying that he had insisted my followup was to be done by himself. Happy about that because I'd rather hear from the Dr that does a procedure than one who just reads the reports. Plus he's the only upper GI surgeon that comes to town, let alone the only bariatric surgeon.

7 hours ago, Aussie Bear said:

Back home now but OMG....I've never had an endoscopy that caused so much pain. I have no idea what he saw or did other than being told by a nurse that he didn't have to do a dilation afterall. I'll wait to hear from him if that was the case. I suspect though that I was gassed up to bursting point because the gas pain is horrendous. Is that really what life with a tiny pouch is like? Also suspect that the gas made its way into the remnant stomach because the pain coming from the right side is over the top, and I never get pain on the right side. Loads on the left but never on the right. Was told by the theatre nurse that he took many biopsies, but I won't see him again for 4 weeks to get the results. Not concerned by that because I know that biopsies are a normal part of endoscopies and I've never had a bad result from them before.  I'll check in with my family doctor when I'm in Adelaide next week and get him to read me the surgery report. His other surgery patients today all have their followups a week earlier with a different surgeon, but as I was coming out of the anesthesia I heard the nurse saying that he had insisted my followup was to be done by himself. Happy about that because I'd rather hear from the Dr that does a procedure than one who just reads the reports. Plus he's the only upper GI surgeon that comes to town, let alone the only bariatric surgeon.

Why weren’t you “asleep” for that??? Ouch!  Hope things improve.  (Your experiences always make me. Glad. With our health system and how easily we can see a dr anytime)

2 hours ago, CheeringCJ said:

Why weren’t you “asleep” for that??? .............

My thoughts exactly!

And how hard would it be for your GI surgeon to pick the phone up and call you sooner.

Yikes! Sounds like you went through the wringer! I hope your pain fades quickly and all test results come back normal. Wonder what he did, though...

Wow, @Aussie Bear, what a story.... Thinking of you!

11 hours ago, CheeringCJ said:

Why weren’t you “asleep” for that??? Ouch!  Hope things improve.  (Your experiences always make me. Glad. With our health system and how easily we can see a dr anytime)

I was definitely asleep for the procedure....it was after being woken up that it was so painful. Came home, took a couple of painkillers and pretty much slept it off. My previous two endoscopies were nothing in comparison to this one.

9 hours ago, cinwa said:

And how hard would it be for your GI surgeon to pick the phone up and call you sooner.

That could happen.... Something like that has happened with him before where he organised for me to be seen by someone else sooner. The fact is though that Im heading away on Friday and won't even be back until just prior to his next visit. If he hadn't pulled the strings my endoscopy wouldn't have even happened until his next visit in 4 weeks because he is the only upper GI surgeon that comes here. I genuinely wasn't in an emergency type situation. I actually have been extremely lucky with my surgeon and the aftercare I get from him....in comparison to others in the same health system. I'm certain that if he had seen anything that concerned him,  he would have made time to see me after the scope. That's certainly what he's done previously. The other patients he operated on yesterday (he did a general surgery list so everything from biopsies, vasectomies to gall bladder removal) will be followed up the week before mine. I feel much better knowing that he'll be doing my followup himself after past experiences where surgeons who know nothing about bariatrics have been completely useless. It seems to be pretty rare in Australia that patients see their bariatric surgeon for followups after the initial post surgery check. Surgeons tend to have other employees handle the aftercare whether they be medical practices or dieticians and exercise physiologists.