Hello All,

After your pre op physical how long after is your surgery?  Do they wait a month or less?

Thanks

@hthe620110, welcome to TT!   It all depends on your surgeon, hospital and insurance.  When I got to my pre-op, I already had my surgery date set.  It felt like it took forever (though in all honesty, it took 4 months from the day I had my first appt w/ the WLS dr and the day I had my pre-op appt and then 2 wks later I had my surgery.  I didn’t have to do any weight loss/dieting beforehand but I did have to have the pre-op appts to go through (psych, cardio, sleep, nutrition, labs etc).  My last thing to pass was my cpap...I had to use it for 14 nights straight and then the sleep study dr had to send the report to my bariatric dr and the it was supposed to be about 2 months after that when I would have my surgery. They called in the report and a few days later the bariatric scheduler called me and asked when I wanted my surgery! I had to have a 2 wk liquid diet prior to it and the dr only does surgery on Mon/Tues, so she said “it has to be at least 2 wks from Monday....I was stunned bc I thought it would end up being around Christmastime or after, and I said “yes” and she said, “yes to what?” And I said ”yes to 2 wks from Monday!!!”  and just like that, i had my pre-op visit/lab work etc on Oct 23 and was sleeved Nov 6th!!!  

Hello,

They only thing that I am waiting on is my physical, I am an impatient man, I am wanting to get this done so I can start the road to recovery.  Plus, I tore my left rotator cuff and they won't allow me to have surgery on it until I get below 400lbs.  Thank you for the response, I appreciate it.

Edited by hthe620110

When is your pre-op PE?

September 26th

Well then, hopefully it will be soon after that.  What did they tell you as a timeline in their office?  (Mine told me 2 months but it was really about 15 days!)

It's completely dependant on the hospital and the surgeon. I got a phone call to organise my pre-op appt and my surgery date in the same call. Then got a call from the dietician to talk about the pre-op diet routine. As that was a 4 week liquid diet the original call was about 5 weeks before. The following week got another call to reschedule the surgery to a different date as the surgeon wanted a particular assistant surgeon as well as a greater OR time allocation because it was a revision. Revisions an take much longer than first WLS. 

Hello,

They didn't give me a timeline, they just said that was the last thing to do before surgery.

Hello,

So, revisions are much longer?  Why is that?  The stomach stays the same, it is just that they need to do the bypass the intestines, right?

2 hours ago, hthe620110 said:

Hello,

So, revisions are much longer?  Why is that?  The stomach stays the same, it is just that they need to do the bypass the intestines, right?

They often have scar tissue and adhesions that need to be dealt with from the original surgery. Mine took two surgeons about 4 hours to complete. That included removing the old scar tissue from my first surgery, dealing with the adhesions I'd developed after a hysterectomy (presumably not something you'll need to deal with haha!!!), repairing a shredded omentum and removing what couldn't be repaired (also the result of previous surgery) and an in operation leak test as leaks are 20x more common in revisional surgeries so my surgeon tests for them during the actual surgery.

Hello,

I have read that after surgery they will keep you up to five days because it is a revision, is this true? 

8 hours ago, hthe620110 said:

Hello,

I have read that after surgery they will keep you up to five days because it is a revision, is this true? 

My surgeon did say I would be kept in longer,  4-5 days because it was a revision.....also because of the potential that it could end up an open surgery due to scar tissue and adhesions. In the end I had surgery on a Thursday morning and was released on Sunday morning. The staff at the hospital would have released me Saturday if they weren't so concerned about the surgeon's reaction if he came in over the weekend and found I'd been discharged. In the end I pulled the plug Sunday morning and told them I wanted out. There didn't appear to be any complications and I promised to stay within one hour of the hospital for the next 48 hours. I lived 4 hours away. A couple of days after I went home my surgeon was actually in my home town on a general surgery roster so I actually had better access to him there than I would have had I stayed in the city......my surgery was timed by my surgeon so that would be the case. He has actually gone above and beyond with regard to trying to time things for when he visits my home town.