Teresa77

foods that aid against constipation?

Are there any foods you find that help against constipation?  I'm on the Soft Diet stage and constipated -- so far Dulcolax has not worked.  Thanks!

Smooth move tea.  Milk of magnesia.

14 hours ago, Teresa77 said:

Are there any foods you find that help against constipation?  I'm on the Soft Diet stage and constipated -- so far Dulcolax has not worked.  Thanks!

Dulcolax didn't work for me either.

We were given big tubs of generic Miralax (polyethylene glycol 3350) straight out of surgery and hands down, it's the only thing that ever worked for me.  I took it daily for months (as per my surgeons instructions) - certainly until I was able to consume a goodly amount of fresh vegetables and some fruit.  It's definitely worth putting a call into your surgeon's office about using it Teresa.

Here's a list of the cheaper generics:  Equate ClearLAX, Walgreens Smooth Lax, Kirkland LaxaClear, Good Sense Clearlax.

Refried beans are helpful to get your fiber in during the soft stage (and they are yummy!).  The miralax suggestion is also a good one because it will be awhile until you can get enough fiber through food to really be helpful.  Miralax (or it's generics) are safe for long-term use unlike some of the stimulant laxatives and they work by pulling water into the bowel to soften and help move along the otherwise solidly stuck stool.  The only thing is, it takes several days to work, so don't wait until things are painful to try it. 

Many people struggle with this early on, and most of us eventually come up with a regimen that works well for us.  For me now it is a combo of water, walking and fiber from food (supplements don't seem to have the same effect).  Early on though I needed some help and used miralax and occasionally Senokot-S when things were really bad.  Beans are the best fiber source for me :)

Good luck!