trulyhappylife

Coping mechanisms with binge-eating

Does anyone have any good coping mechanisms for when they feel like they want to overeat

This is probably going to sound very weird, or stupid, or both...but this is what I do.

I watch ASMR eating videos on you tube, lol. I started watching them for relaxation to help me sleep a while before I had my WLS. Which is truly weird, because in everyday life, I can’t stand the sound of someone chewing, but it’s not the same with the videos. But I ALSO watch them if I’m in the mood to binge eat. Nothing takes away my urge to stuff my face full of junk food like watching someone else do it. Plus, the whole time I’m watching, I let my mind remember how I USED to do that, how HORRIBLE it is for my body, and how sick I would get if I ever tried doing that now. By the time the video is done, I don’t want to binge eat anymore. 

My feeling is that giving yourself time, when the urge to binge eat hits your brain, before you actually do it, stops the urge in its tracks. But no matter how you do it, distracting yourself from the thought of binge eating is most important. Taking a walk, a hot shower, listening to really loud music and singing at the top of your lungs like a crazy person (another favorite of mine, lol) are all great distractions. It takes time to rewire your brain that these urges are usually head hunger caused by stress, looking for an old comfort cure. 

57 minutes ago, trulyhappylife said:

Does anyone have any good coping mechanisms for when they feel like they want to overeat

Truly, this may sound odd, but I never feel like overeating now. I LOVE great food but I don't want to feel stuffed, it actually makes me nauseous now. Even thinking about it is unpleasant. I'm the nutcase who talks about eating foie gras and cooking duck confit on a weight loss support site (here), but it is quality over quantity. Somehow or other the process of having the surgery and the volume restriction have reset me and I NEVER want to overeat. The closest I get to that is when I eat excellent bread and find that (predictably) I feel hungry again in a couple of hours. I figure that is my insulin reaction to the carbohydrate load talking, not a physiological need. If by overeating you mean eating a lot in one go, and getting that Happy Buddha feeling of being stuffed to the gills... I never want that now. 

Does that mean I never overeat? No, I do, but that happens only when I graze or snack, so it is sometimes an old bad habit that has surfaced, or boredom. You can defeat the volume restriction from surgery by eating small quantities all day long. (There are stories here of people having surgery, then buying pizzas and cutting them up into little pieces and eating one every 15 minutes, and at the end of the day, eating two entire pizzas a day. Talk about self-defeating!). When I am around potato chips or anything salty and crisp I am at risk of this. I keep lemon drops (low calorie ones) to pop into my mouth when I start to go down that path. It is pleasurable and keeps my mouth engaged. 

36 minutes ago, BurgundyBoy said:

Truly, this may sound odd, but I never feel like overeating now. I LOVE great food but I don't want to feel stuffed, it actually makes me nauseous now. Even thinking about it is unpleasant.

That doesn’t sound odd at all, @BurgundyBoy. I should have actually worded my post differently. I think it has been months since I’ve actually wanted to stuff myself full. The thought makes me nauseous now as well. But I do still get the urge to eat the junk, and eat it fast like before. The thought of overeating really doesn’t enter my mind anymore. I still associate binge eating with consuming everything in a 5 minute time span, and watching those videos cures that craving as well, lol. 

I keep sugar free mints on hand when I want something sweet, or to get over the hurdle of still wanting something in my mouth when I KNOW I’m not hungry. I remember you talking about those lemon drops a while back, and it’s a great idea to keep something like that on hand. 

A glass water (I like mine with smashed peppermint or spearmint leaves or lemon and or cucumber.  I'm also a gum chewer (I never swallow it) and that can come in handy when I'm preparing food too ... I'd be nibbling on it otherwise..  

Tried that and it really doesn't work for me

5 hours ago, trulyhappylife said:

Tried that and it really doesn't work for me

Which did you try?

My issue isn't so much overeating - which I can't really do anymore thanks to the pouch - but occasionally wanting to graze.  I find it far easier to prevent circumstances that lead to grazing than to just... tell myself I shouldn't graze. 

Basically this means keeping busy, for me.  If I'm sitting around watching TV, I get the munchies.  So I limit my TV watching.  During the day, when I normally would be watching TV, I get out of the house.  This weekend, for instance, I spent both Saturday and Sunday doing yard work, interspersed with prepping some crock pot meals for later this week.  With my mind and hands already busy, there was less opportunity to graze and I think about it less. 

I work from home, which makes work days tricky, because there's always food available just downstairs.  But if I'm up in my office actually working on a task, with some water or coffee next to me, I know I won't be grazing because it would be an interruption, and I don't like work interruptions.  Once I'm on a task, I like to motor on until I'm done (sometimes I even put off peeing, even though the bathroom is like five feet down the hall!) 

My suggestion would be to analyze your daily life, and figure out what activities tend to preclude overeating, and which activities encourage overeating.  Then do a lot more of the former, and a lot less of the latter!

I see youre still a 1/2 year out from surgery @trulyhappylife, and honestly at the place you’re at, I NEVER found ANYTHING that would stop binge-eating...I tried the recommended distractions, journaling, drinking water, chewing gum, not buying junk, going for a walk, etc, BUT none of them worked. However, having the surgery works as a fantastic tool bc you can’t possibly overeat because only so much will fit, so for me, it was the ONLY answer, BUT that doesn’t give you license to binge for the next 6 months either.  Start working on it however you can during this time in waiting.   Make lists of what you want to be able to do when you lose the weight (which will be an inspiring reason to stick to it), read success stories from here and imagine yourself as one of them.  

You could try stuffing yourself on vegetables. Make an enormous salad, eat a gigantic plate of veggie sticks, whip up a massive stir-fry. In all those cases, make sure to limit the oil and don't include any sweet stuff or other carbs, just veggies. If you haven't had surgery yet, but you're a volume eater (someone who really only feels satisfied by a large quantity), veggies might do the trick. Enter all the ingredients for a massive salad into My Fitness Pal, and you'll be surprised at how few calories veggies have. 

Pre-op, the urge to overeat was pretty constantly present, at least in the back of my mind. Post-op, the urge to overeat has gone away.

For me the thought of over eating brings memories of what it feels like when I’ve had one bite too many.  I don’t like that feeling.  I’ve learned to listen to my stomach, if it tells me I’m going to be sorry and to stop!  I listen.  I know immediately when I shouldn’t eat any more.  Even if there is only 1 bite left on my plate and no matter how good it tastes.  

On 9/9/2018 at 9:02 PM, BurgundyBoy said:

Which did you try?

Drinking but water

51 minutes ago, trulyhappylife said:

Drinking but water

Try a warm drink - that's often more satisfying than a cold one.

As a Brit. I like regular black tea but Celestial Seasonings offer a great selection of fruity and spicy teas.