Nana Trish

Finally had my MRI and testing done

You're in my thoughts @Nana Trish. Hope it's not MS, or anything else serious.

On 9/10/2018 at 1:00 AM, Nana Trish said:

Sooo, although I’m praying that the lesions on my cervical spine seen on the MRI are not MS, I need to find out what they are. And at this point, my doc seems pretty anxious to find the cause as well. Like I said in an earlier post, I’m not stressing over whether or not it could be MS. I’ll worry about that when and if I’m diagnosed. But I’m not going to lay back and let it be. I’ve done that for way too many years. I went through this whole WLS program, lost all of my excess weight (plus some...yay me!) to get healthy. I want to be healthy all the way!!

I’m very passionate about this because I’ve spent so many years letting the medical professionals dictate how and when and where I will be treated and which symptoms I experience that they think are important and which ones aren’t, etc...time for me to take the wheel now. I was fairly certain I had cervical stenosis. I do. As for the lesions? Who knows right now. You can bet your skinny behind I’m gonna find out though  :wub:

Haha, you rock!

10 hours ago, Carina said:

Haha, you rock!

I love YOU, @Carina!!!!

My spine doc says it is indeed MS, but I have to have nerve conduction tests and MRI's with contrast of my cervical spine and brain...because apparently a brain CT does not show MS but an MRI with contrast does. The cervical MRI shows lesions, along with  mild stenosis, but not the level of pain and numbness, trouble swallowing and unsteadiness that I'm experiencing, because of stenosis. So I'm going for the nerve conduction tests on Thursday, and I'm waiting on insurance approval for the MRI's. 

I will keep you updated...but as of right now, it's MS. I don't know anything more at the moment ❤️

4 minutes ago, Nana Trish said:

I love YOU, @Carina!!!!

My spine doc says it is indeed MS, but I have to have nerve conduction tests and MRI's with contrast of my cervical spine and brain...because apparently a brain CT does not show MS but an MRI with contrast does. The cervical MRI shows lesions, along with  mild stenosis, but not the level of pain and numbness, trouble swallowing and unsteadiness that I'm experiencing, because of stenosis. So I'm going for the nerve conduction tests on Thursday, and I'm waiting on insurance approval for the MRI's. 

I will keep you updated...but as of right now, it's MS. I don't know anything more at the moment ❤️

He just told you that on the phone and then you have to wait for anything else at your next visit?  That’s not cool!  So sorry to hear you got a diagnosis of another thing you have to deal with.  It totally stinks but you are so strong that you can handle this.  {{{HUGS}}}

I'm so very sorry for your recent medical problems @Nana Trish.  Please know that you are in our thoughts and prayers.  You will get through this and we are here to support you!

By the way, how is your spouses' cookie business going?  Do you get to sample his products?:D

12 hours ago, CheeringCJ said:

He just told you that on the phone and then you have to wait for anything else at your next visit?  That’s not cool!  So sorry to hear you got a diagnosis of another thing you have to deal with.  It totally stinks but you are so strong that you can handle this.  {{{HUGS}}}

No, CJ...when I spoke to him on the phone last week, he told me there was concern that I had MS, and told me I have some stenosis in my neck, but said he would explain further when he saw me on Tuesday (yesterday). I suspect he was trying to soften the blow before I saw him in the office. I have had an appointment set up to see a neurologist since July (couldn’t get in until mid October). My spine doc is sending me for nerve conduction testing tomorrow, then MRI with contrast of my brain and spine next week. (I already had a brain CT, which was normal, and I asked him about that. He said MS won’t show up on a CT.) I go back to see spine doc on the 28th to go over all of those results. He said he wants me to have all of the testing done prior to seeing the neuro so I won’t have to wait any longer than I already have to to come up with a treatment plan. He showed me the images from the MRI during my visit yesterday. The neck stenosis is very minor, and unfortunately not causing my symptoms. He showed me the lesions in my cervical spine. He’s very thorough, and wants to get me on the right path now. 

Thank you for the hugs!! ❤️❤️❤️ I’m still not stressing too much (although it was still a shock to hear him say it yesterday, even though I was kind of expecting it), I just want to find some relief from my symptoms.

4 hours ago, Res Ipsa said:

I'm so very sorry for your recent medical problems @Nana Trish.  Please know that you are in our thoughts and prayers.  You will get through this and we are here to support you!

By the way, how is your spouses' cookie business going?  Do you get to sample his products?:D

Cookie business is in full development and testing phase, lol! He made a lovely batch of oatmeal, chocolate chip and peanut cookies, and yes I did sample one...ahem, one...lol. 

Thank you so much for the support, @Res Ipsa ❤️ You guys are always here for me!! I’m blessed!

More hugs for you, Trish. Mama kitty hugs this time.

I know this isn't the news you wanted, but it sounds like you have a great team that's working with you. You also have a loving family for support. Of course, you have all of us here, too. I hope you and your team can find a treatment that will help you feel better. 

giphy.gif

Just now, Jen581791 said:

More hugs for you, Trish. Mama kitty hugs this time.

I know this isn't the news you wanted, but it sounds like you have a great team that's working with you. You also have a loving family for support. Of course, you have all of us here, too. I hope you and your team can find a treatment that will help you feel better. 

giphy.gif

That is the most adorable thing, @Jen581791!!! Thank you, I love it!!! 

No, definitely not the news I wanted to hear. But I have a great team taking care of me now that I've gone out of my area to seek treatment. The docs in Saratoga are amazing, and for once it's nice to have doctors being proactive to get me faster and better treatment. 

Thanks for all the feels!! :wub:

One good thing happened this morning!! Woot!!

IMG_1079.jpg

30 minutes ago, Nana Trish said:

That is definitely worth celebrating Trish!  t9305.gif

Maybe time to review your goal weight - you're still showing 175 lb and you blew through that!

5 hours ago, Nana Trish said:

IMG_1079.jpg

Holy cr@p Nana Trish...... I want my scale to look like that one day!!!!!!

I truly wonder how much having a normal weight (as opposed to what we did have) aids in getting better medical treatment...... I suspect it's rather a lot! Sorry to hear about the diagnosis, but so glad you have a good and caring medical team to look after you.

5 hours ago, cinwa said:

That is definitely worth celebrating Trish!  t9305.gif

Maybe time to review your goal weight - you're still showing 175 lb and you blew through that!

Thank you, @cinwa!! Love the fireworks!

I know I should review my goal weight, lol. I think I’m going to leave it as is, at least for now....because it’s a reminder that I can do so much more than I think I can, and I like that! I may change it at some point in the future though ;)

2 hours ago, Aussie Bear said:

Holy cr@p Nana Trish...... I want my scale to look like that one day!!!!!!

I truly wonder how much having a normal weight (as opposed to what we did have) aids in getting better medical treatment...... I suspect it's rather a lot! Sorry to hear about the diagnosis, but so glad you have a good and caring medical team to look after you.

You make a very good point, @Aussie Bear

I feel like having a normal weight has definitely helped me get better medical treatment. But it also coincided with me moving my healthcare to a different county, with much better doctors and hospitals. So for me, I think it was a little of both. But I know for sure that I get taken more seriously now than I ever did when I was 330 pounds. Which is pretty sad. A lot of doctors blame everything on weight, and overlook some serious health issues because of it. 

As for my scale, lol, I haven’t checked your stats lately, but you aren’t too far off from that are you? I’m truly not trying to lose anymore weight, and I’m not really comfortable in the 130’s...but it was still kind of cool to see that number on the scale this morning :) I like it better when I’m 142-144 range. Idk why, I just do, lol. 

@Aussie Bear...just checked your stats. You’re only like 8(?) pounds away from where I am, if my conversion is correct. You want your scale to look like mine SOMEDAY? You’re basically there now!!

❤️❤️❤️

10 hours ago, Nana Trish said:

No, CJ...when I spoke to him on the phone last week, he told me there was concern that I had MS, and told me I have some stenosis in my neck, but said he would explain further when he saw me on Tuesday (yesterday). I suspect he was trying to soften the blow before I saw him in the office. I have had an appointment set up to see a neurologist since July (couldn’t get in until mid October). My spine doc is sending me for nerve conduction testing tomorrow, then MRI with contrast of my brain and spine next week. (I already had a brain CT, which was normal, and I asked him about that. He said MS won’t show up on a CT.) I go back to see spine doc on the 28th to go over all of those results. He said he wants me to have all of the testing done prior to seeing the neuro so I won’t have to wait any longer than I already have to to come up with a treatment plan. He showed me the images from the MRI during my visit yesterday. The neck stenosis is very minor, and unfortunately not causing my symptoms. He showed me the lesions in my cervical spine. He’s very thorough, and wants to get me on the right path now. 

Thank you for the hugs!! ❤️❤️❤️ I’m still not stressing too much (although it was still a shock to hear him say it yesterday, even though I was kind of expecting it), I just want to find some relief from my symptoms.

Oh, I see.  I thought you weren’t going to see him, just your neuro next. Sorry to have a diagnosis, but knowing what is wrong, at least can let you know you aren’t imaging symptoms (and aren’t crazy), and you can get a plan of treatment going. I know a few people who have MS and are doing great with their treatment plans!

4 hours ago, Nana Trish said:

@Aussie Bear...just checked your stats. You’re only like 8(?) pounds away from where I am, if my conversion is correct. You want your scale to look like mine SOMEDAY? You’re basically there now!!

❤️❤️❤️

Sounds about right to me. I get weighed these days at doctors (never did before....wasn't even weighed at hospital on Tuesday before my anesthesia)  as he doesn't want to see it go down anymore....that doesn’t mean I agree though. I think for myself I need to go below where I'm comfortable to realise where that comfort point is. That plus I'm still very aware of the "bounce rebound" stage my surgeon has told me to expect.

I'm about to try an elimination diet to try to find out what food group it is that I'm clearly not tolerating at the moment. That might help get me a few pounds lower. Gosh I hope it isn't dairy.

@Aussie Bear...I’m doubting whether there is a true bounce rebound, or if some of us ease up on our self restriction of our diets after a certain amount of time and cause ourselves some regain. 

I agree with going a bit below the comfort zone to find out where our comfort zone really is. Going below 140, for me, is too low. Even though it was only .2 pounds, I was already reaching the “too low for comfort” weight before I got here.  So my ‘zone’ is 140-144. I like it there, lol.

@Nana Trish, I'm so sorry it has taken so long to comment on this thread! Somehow I missed it and just saw it! Oh, my, I am so sorry for all the stress you are going through! I feel so dumb and obtuse for whining about little things on different threads while you are dealing with real issues! Please know, now that I found this, that all my thoughts and prayers are with you. 

I have to say that when I read through all your posts here, I am struck by your proactive push to get good care and good answers! YOU SO ROCK! I hope you can take some pride in how you are taking care of yourself! I think we have excellent medical care in this country, but it isn't often easy to get. We need a very strong advocate to push the doctors to get the right information. And you are being your own advocate, Lady! Way to go! 

In addition to prayers for healing, I'm praying that this time will pass quickly for you and the doctors will have all the answers soon on your best treatment. So many hugs and prayers coming your way! You are one of my favorite people on this forum! And I'm sure I speak for everyone! 

:wub::wub::wub:

thinking-of-you-and-sending-lots-and-he-its-and-lots-14811769.png.1e806b3f46c5cc80a89ed0ed3e88a3f0.png

3 hours ago, Cindy Lou Who said:

@Nana Trish, I'm so sorry it has taken so long to comment on this thread! Somehow I missed it and just saw it! Oh, my, I am so sorry for all the stress you are going through! I feel so dumb and obtuse for whining about little things on different threads while you are dealing with real issues! Please know, now that I found this, that all my thoughts and prayers are with you. 

I have to say that when I read through all your posts here, I am struck by your proactive push to get good care and good answers! YOU SO ROCK! I hope you can take some pride in how you are taking care of yourself! I think we have excellent medical care in this country, but it isn't often easy to get. We need a very strong advocate to push the doctors to get the right information. And you are being your own advocate, Lady! Way to go! 

In addition to prayers for healing, I'm praying that this time will pass quickly for you and the doctors will have all the answers soon on your best treatment. So many hugs and prayers coming your way! You are one of my favorite people on this forum! And I'm sure I speak for everyone! 

:wub::wub::wub:

thinking-of-you-and-sending-lots-and-he-its-and-lots-14811769.png.1e806b3f46c5cc80a89ed0ed3e88a3f0.png

@Cindy Lou Who,

Please, don’t EVER apologize for anything, especially taking any amount of time for responding to posts...mine or anyone else’s! I’ve been very bad at coming here lately, and even worse at responding. I appreciate you so much, and everything you have to say!! 

I have to go back and re~read some of the posts, but I think I know the “whining” post you are talking about...but only because you said you thought it sounded whiny, not because it is!! I’m kicking myself right now for not responding yesterday when I read it. I was going to tell you that I had done the exact same thing, several times actually, as I approached different goals. I can’t explain it either, because I’ve wanted this forever, yet I feel so vulnerable, and almost exposed, with my cloak of invisibility gone...my protective layer of fat.   Self sabotage is one of my go~to behaviors, and I’m trying so hard to change that! My therapist told me to expect that, but expecting something and experiencing it are two different things. Those things ARE real issues, my friend, and don’t ever apologize for needing to talk about it, and DEFINITELY don’t downplay the importance of any of your issues. We all have our trials, but my trials aren’t any more *real* than yours. Just different ❤️ 

I’ve learned the hard way that the ONLY way I’m going to get good health care is if I make it happen. Ive moved to a different county (about 35~40 minutes from home, so not too bad) for access to much better health care. I was so exhausted from basically trying to diagnose myself with different health problems, because seriously, how many times should I have to tell my doctor that my hair is falling out, my teeth are breaking and my muscles ache so bad I can barely get out of bed in the morning...only to have him look at me and tell me there isn’t any one disease that my symptoms point to? It’s funny that my bariatric surgeon found the problem with my pre op blood work, the first time! He referred me to the surgeon, then to my endocrinologist, surgeon referred me to my urologist, and I found cardio and primary care doc and spine doc (yes, I’m THAT much of a train wreck, lol) on my own. But they are all in the same network, and they are all incredible. There is no doubt that there is excellent health care in the US, but it honestly shouldn’t have taken me 51 years to find it. I’m very blessed that I did, though, and my issues are being treated...finally!!

Thank you, THANK YOU so much for all of your prayers, and such a heartfelt post ❤️ You’ve just reminded me how lucky I am to have found this place and you wonderful people!! Please know, that none of your posts are whiny, and we want to hear about, and help you through, anything you’re going through!! That’s what we are here for!! ❤️❤️❤️

Edited by Nana Trish

On 9/12/2018 at 12:10 PM, Nana Trish said:

IMG_1079.jpg

Scrawny toes. :P

On 9/18/2018 at 12:56 PM, BurgundyBoy said:

Scrawny toes. :P

@BurgundyBoy....I'm at 142 now and completely happy!!! Scrawny toes and all...although I don't believe they are truly scrawny!! 

:lol::P:D

Edited by Nana Trish

I'm at 142 now...my comfort zone ❤️ Just comfortable and happy!! I love my WLS life right now!!