CheeringCJ

Kio....remember what you were doing a year ago today???

NOT sleeping!!! Haha! I remember reading your post the night before and feeling all the emotions right along with you!  Little did I know that slightly under 2 months later I would be having my night before my night before and then my night before where I wasn’t sure what was going to happen....I knew I wanted it done but I still had to go through it! 

Anyway, looking back on it a year later, I bet those feelings of questioning and worrying and deciding etc have completely given way to being excited and having joy etc!  

I have one question for you though...did you ever go back and get your MRI?  Because you would TOTALLY FIT now!!! :)

(((HUGS))) for a simply awesome surgiversary tomorrow @Kio  !!! (I don’t think I will be around much and I didn’t want it to go by w/o celebrating for and with you!!!  You sharing your story day by day got me to mine and I wanted to tell you how much I appreciated your being willing to be so transparent to strangers! (And yes, some are stranger than others, myself included!!! Haha!)

Edited by CheeringCJ

HA!  Yes, I was TOTALLY not sleeping at that time a year ago.  :D  I was last night though!  Like a ROCK.

As time has gone by this month I've been thinking a lot about my surgiversary.  Now that it's here, I plan to post - but it's hard to decide what to say!  So many things have changed in my life - and not just due to surgery.  I've moved to a new house in a new town, I have a new room mate to go with my old room mate, I have two new cats in our house (bringing the total number of cats to five, plus one dog, omg).  As one of our old neighbors said last weekend, it's an entirely new life for all of us!

I'm so glad I got to go on this journey with you, @CheeringCJ - and with all the other amazing supportive people I've met here.  Some strangers are good strangers, no matter how strange they turn out to be.  ;) 

Happy Surgiversary, @Kio!!!

Happy surgiversary...an amazing year!  Here’s to year number two!

Thanks, @Nana Trish and @Cheesehead!  I'm planning to start year 2 right, tightening up a few little places where my plan had gone slack.  :)  Nothing off the rails, just little things I've let slide a bit.  I've got 33 lbs to go to goal, and I really want to get there! 

@CheeringCJ, I forgot to answer your question - no, I never did go back for that MRI!  By the time I could have, the little bumps I felt had gone away, so it was apparently nothing to worry about.  But if it ever happens again, my new skinny bod and I are ready!  :D (Editing to add for anyone not familiar with this, everything was clear on the mammogram and ultrasound, but I was still nervous so my doc suggested an MRI basically to ease my mind.  When I couldn't complete the MRI, she was fine with "wait and see" and everything has, in fact, been all clear.)

Edited by Kio

Glad you didn’t need the MRI, but I almost just want you to go have one now, even if they don’t turn it on, just to put you in the machine so you can FEEL the difference and cry triumphant tears, not pained tears!!!! ;)

Happy 1st surgiversary Kio - you have lost a staggering 182lb!  As for that last 33lb - pfft - you've got this!

@Kio can I ask...why did you decide on the bypass? I’m still in the early stages leading up to the surgery. While I originally went into the process planning on the bypass, my surgeon is recommending the DS. I don’t see many people on here who’ve had that. How do I know what’s right for me?

1 hour ago, Boston Redhead said:

@Kio can I ask...why did you decide on the bypass? I’m still in the early stages leading up to the surgery. While I originally went into the process planning on the bypass, my surgeon is recommending the DS. I don’t see many people on here who’ve had that. How do I know what’s right for me?

I think it's a really personal decision, because your overall health and how much you have to lose are a big part of it.  For me - I didn't have diabetes or high blood pressure, but I did have sleep apnea. My BMI was just over 60, and I was pretty disabled by my weight - I'm only 5'3", and I was barely able to get around.  I wasn't in a wheel chair or anything, but I couldn't walk the length of a room without holding onto something, and standing and walking really hurt. I was really heavy when I met my doc, around 355, but he never said anything about the DS to me, and I'm not even sure if it was a thing he ever performed.

So I was choosing between the sleeve and gastric bypass.  I knew that the bypass was considered more invasive, but I had also read that people lost a bit more weight on it - and I had SO very much to lose.  (Now I know you can lose just as much with a sleeve - but I didn't at the time.)  But the biggest issue for me was that I had very bad GERD, and I'd just been diagnosed with Barrett's Esophagus - changes to the bottom of my esophagus that made me a higher risk for esophageal cancer, that were caused by the GERD. 

The sleeve has a reputation for making GERD much worse, while the gastric bypass basically cures GERD.  So it was a pretty easy decision for me - the sleeve would have made my GERD and Barrett's worse, while the bypass made them better.

I'm surprised your doc is recommending DS for you, since according to your sidebar, you don't seem overweight enough to fall into that category.  But maybe I don't really understand all the factors as they relate to your personal situation.  Did the doctor say why he thought you needed the DS instead of the bypass? 

For what it's worth, in terms of weight loss, I lost 57 lbs before surgery and I've now lost a total of 182 lbs.  So all other things being equal, you could lose what you need to lose with the bypass.  I'm guessing there must be some other health factor that's leading your doc to suggest DS?

Thanks @Kio. I had already decided on the bypass before I went in for the first mtg with the surgeon, so when he recommended the DS, I was kind of thrown off, since I hadn’t done much research on that. He threw some stats at me and said I’d lose the most weight and keep it off with the DS, which he couldn’t guarantee with the bypass. He said “frankly, I don’t do many bypasses anymore. Most of my patients request the sleeve or the DS.”

I too have GERD as well as an esophageal stricture, high blood pressure, and sleep apnea. I had my gall bladder out last year. The blood work they did in my first appt showed some issues with my liver.

Since that appt, I’ve tried to do research on the DS. While there is a lot of info out there on the surgery itself, I haven’t been able to find any supportive forums for the aftermath. They seem to be very negative (or maybe you all just spoiled me!). I believe online support will be an important aspect of my recovery.

i really liked the surgeon, and he was very personable, but I know that’s not the most important criteria. maybe he’s just not the surgeon for me.

i have another week before my next monthly appt, so I have a bit of time to think (worry) about it.

21 hours ago, Kio said:

HA!  Yes, I was TOTALLY not sleeping at that time a year ago.  :D  I was last night though!  Like a ROCK.

As time has gone by this month I've been thinking a lot about my surgiversary.  Now that it's here, I plan to post - but it's hard to decide what to say!  So many things have changed in my life - and not just due to surgery.  I've moved to a new house in a new town, I have a new room mate to go with my old room mate, I have two new cats in our house (bringing the total number of cats to five, plus one dog, omg).  As one of our old neighbors said last weekend, it's an entirely new life for all of us!

I'm so glad I got to go on this journey with you, @CheeringCJ - and with all the other amazing supportive people I've met here.  Some strangers are good strangers, no matter how strange they turn out to be.  ;) 

Happy surgiversary, Kio. You are a superstar of WLS! I love watching your amazing success :wub:

1985493016_ScreenShot2018-09-09at6_34_28PM.thumb.png.2689d5ceb14a466f6c946722eaea23f6.png

OED.jpg

@Jen581791 - I love love love it!  That is the perfect thing.  :D:D:D  Happy to know I have far less gravitas than the good old OED! 

@cinwa - I am totally going to own the last 33lbs.  I know it's possible, even in year 2!