never2late

started puree today.....

please clarify.... stop drinking 30 before and 30 mins after???

My NUT said stop 20 minutes before, during eating, and 20 minutes after eating.  I guess it depends on your plan.  The idea is to slow down the food from getting through your system quickly, which helps ward off hunger.

I did 30 minutes before, ate my food and then waited 30 minutes after.  Just think of your stomach as a sieve. Put puréed foods in it, then if you add your water, it flushes out quickly. Let your stomach/system absorb what vitamins and nutritions are in that food.  

Early out, we were told not to drink for 30 minutes before and 30 minutes after eating. 

The reason told to me for not drinking prior to eating (and I do not know if this is true) was that a relatively new pouch/sleeve was likely to still be a litte swollen and that fluids might not pass through (as in a funnel) too quickly.  That could result in us not eating as much as we should because the fluids were taking up space in the pouch/sleeve and because of that, we were at risk of not getting much nutrition in the early stage post-op. 

I followed that rule until I was cleared for all foods when a nurse (who'd had a RNY) told me that it was OK to drink right up eating (because the pouch/sleeve was nothing more than a funnel) but to stick with no fluids for at least 30 minutes afterwards.  And I still stick with that.  But if I get really, really thirsty and can't wait it out, I'll grab 2 - 3 chunks of melon or some grapes, a couple of segments of orange or like.

Watch this....someone here posted it and helped me totally get it!!!  It’s one thing to be told rules, but it is another thing to understand WHY you need those rules!!!

Edited by CheeringCJ

Thanks for posting that, @CheeringCJ - it's usually me who posts it, but you saved me some time :) This video REALLY explained it to me in a way that helped me control my behavior. It's not magical - it's mechanical. 

I have to drink right at the start of a meal to take a medication to prevent reactive hypoglycemia,  so definitely don't follow the no drinking before a meal. I do try not to drink for 30 minutes after though. My surgeon told me very early on that drinking before isn't an issue, but the 30 minutes after is. On the rare occasion I will have a glass of wine with a meal though.

My sister's surgeon actually says the no drinking 30 minutes before or after eating is "old hat" and irrelevant these days.....go figure!!! My best advice is if it's in your surgeon's plan then follow their advice.

thanks guys... that was a great video!