ili882

Protein intake for Gastric Bypass Patients

Ok so I have been told by the nutritionist that must have 60-80 grams of Protein a day so that my body burns off the fat instead of attacking the muscle. I am having a hard time doing this. I might have maybe half of that a day. I work out like crazy. My last weigh in was last week and I lost 28lb from the 3 months before. I was told that 4% of that was muscle. So I am not having enough protein and I need to start lifting more. Does anyone have any advice for this on what to do?

Premiere protein shakes are 30 grams each. Very easy to get down!! Have one everyday and possibly a second. (They do become a bit pricey if you are using two a day). That should put you at your minimum. I consume 100 grams per day rather easily with one shake, two meat servings (lunch and dinner) and one yougart for breakfast. 

Welcome ili882!

I'm pretty close to 11 years post-RNY and as a non-meat eater (I like fish but not for every meal), and despite eating cheese and other dairy products, I can't meet my protein needs from food alone so I still use protein shakes.  

My preference is for Syntrax Nectar - the shake type flavours not the fruity ones made with Fairlife 2% :  Cappuccino, being my favourite with 23g protein + 13g from the Fairlife for a total of 36g protein. 

Protein2o is a clear 98% purified whey protein isolate protein water (10-15g protein depending on the flavour).  I find them a little too strong in flavour so dilute them with water.  Great for sipping on all day long.  I can get them from Walmart.

4 hours ago, ili882 said:

Ok so I have been told by the nutritionist that must have 60-80 grams of Protein a day so that my body burns off the fat instead of attacking the muscle. I am having a hard time doing this. I might have maybe half of that a day. I work out like crazy. My last weigh in was last week and I lost 28lb from the 3 months before. I was told that 4% of that was muscle. So I am not having enough protein and I need to start lifting more. Does anyone have any advice for this on what to do?

Hi ili882, your stats are impressive = congratulations on the losses and on exercise. I too was told to shift to strength training from just cardiovascular training at about your stage. My preferred exercises are rowing, swimming and cycling right now. Rowing is really building my chest, arm, leg and core abdominal muscles.

What are you eating for protein now? That might be useful to know in terms of giving advice.

Like some of the others here, I also (in part for convenience, but also to get enough protein) often have a protein shake (30 grams protein) in the morning. I buy boxes of Premier Protein at Costco - I think a carton of 18 is $24. I also buy boxes of 20 protein bars at a time at Costco that are 21 grams of protein and 15 grams of fiber. Both are very low in carbohydrates. If I have a shake in the morning and use a protein bar as a snack in the late afternoon, or eat one at lunch, there is 51 grams of protein right there. If you did just these two, and got another 30 grams of protein with everything else you eat, you would be there!

For dinner I often have chicken or beef, and I favor vegetables with significant protein and fiber like beans or some of the ancient grains. I also eat seafoods (fish, shrimp, scallops) since they are so high in protein and low in calories. Some people stay away from cheese, but I have it every day. Sometimes my lunch is a couple of ounces of cheese with an apple. I often have some cheese as a snack after dinner before I go to bed. 

Three final ideas - drink nonfat milk since it has protein; cook with egg whites; and if you like to cook, make fish stock from fish bones and heads and boiling them to release their protein. It's delicious and you can use it as a base for many, many dishes. I often crack an egg into some boiling broth and make an egg-drop soup by swirling it around with a fork. 

Do let us know what your current intake of protein is. Hope this is helpful, good luck and again congratulations on your successes to date. 

Yes, I agree with @BurgundyBoy that it would be most helpful if you posted a typical day's food intake so we could see where you can make some changes. 

I'm with @Anita62, @cinwa, and @BurgundyBoy - a shake a day is a great way to get about half my minimum protein in. It's a super convenient breakfast. That, plus Greek yogurt for a snack, some cheese at lunch or for an afternoon snack, and a protein-based dinner gets me to way more than the minimum every day. 

If you're needing recipe help, The World According to Eggface has a ton of great WLS recipes - lots of protein, yummy stuff.

It's so important for many reasons to focus on getting good protein intake, both right after surgery and for long-term success. My vanity meant that the great fear of hair loss was a huge motivator for me. Eek! I have thin fine hair as it is!!