Sign in to follow this  
trulyhappylife

Need a mentor/ buddy

Hi I am looking for a mentor/buddy, I am trying to lose 75 lbs before surgery and I need someone to help keep me on track and if needed I will do the same for them. Honestly I'm struggling with trying to avoid carbs. But having a person who is or has gone through this your knowledge and support would be greatly appreciated :D

Welcome to Thinner Times!

Best advice I can give to keep you motivated is to jump on this forum, read all you can and join in the conversations.

As for the carbs for me, they were the ruination of every single dieting attempt for me pre-WLS.  But not all carbs are the devil.  Drop the pasta, rice and potatoes etc. and up the veggies, include a piece fruit and some dairy (yogurt, cheese and milk) to keep up the calcium intake and I'd advise you start taking some multivitamins (and calcium citrate).  And don't forget to try and get some daily exercise in - even if it's just a walk. 

The better condition you're in for surgery, the easier your recovery will be.

1 hour ago, cinwa said:

Welcome to Thinner Times!

Best advice I can give to keep you motivated is to jump on this forum, read all you can and join in the conversations.

As for the carbs for me, they were the ruination of every single dieting attempt for me pre-WLS.  But not all carbs are the devil.  Drop the pasta, rice and potatoes etc. and up the veggies, include a piece fruit and some dairy (yogurt, cheese and milk) to keep up the calcium intake and I'd advise you start taking some multivitamins (and calcium citrate).  And don't forget to try and get some daily exercise in - even if it's just a walk. 

The better condition you're in for surgery, the easier your recovery will be.

@trulyhappylife I think this is good advice. I've found that I do best if I limit my carbs to vegetables, fruit (blueberries in my case) and dairy as well. I never eat pasta or rice anymore, but do once in a while roast ONE sliced potato in a gallette with sliced onion and tomato and some grated cheese... but only on a day when I've burned some calories at the gym. I seem to be pretty sensitive to carb intake, in that if I eat a couple slice of my sourdough bread I can predict that any weight loss I have been having stalls right there. In contrast if I stay away from them -> I lose.