Sign in to follow this  
Ro_Bro

Obesity hypoventilation/hypoxia syndrome?

I went to see my Pcp and she was quite concerned about my oxygenation because my pulse ox reading was in the low 80s just walking around her office.

She wants me on oxygen 24/7.

I am also new to using my cpap

I do feel short of breath a lot and have trouble getting a full breath.

She wants me to get pulmonary function testing. 

I was dumb and googled Obesity+hypoxia and this syndrome came up in many pages. Basically low oxygenation and high CO2 levels because of obesity caused shallow breathing.

I was wondering if anyone else has been diagnosed with this?

I think there are several people here who have been on a CPAP, including me. It's pretty common with obesity. Sounds like you are getting the right treatment for now and your PCP is alert to other tests that might help you. Good thing you went to see her! 80% is very low and you do want to figure out what's going on.

Are you doing OK with the CPAP? I didn't have much trouble adjusting. It's a weird feeling, but once you trust that you really can breathe with that thing on your face, then it's OK. Good luck and keep us posted.

On 9/5/2018 at 12:55 AM, Ro_Bro said:

I went to see my Pcp and she was quite concerned about my oxygenation because my pulse ox reading was in the low 80s just walking around her office.

I was dumb and googled Obesity+hypoxia and this syndrome came up in many pages. Basically low oxygenation and high CO2 levels because of obesity caused shallow breathing. I was wondering if anyone else has been diagnosed with this?

Ro_Bro I knew someone with this. It was greatly helped by weight loss. We feared for him. It scared the h37* out of him and motivated him to lose. A lot of the dangers of sleep apnea are essentially the same thing, e.g. low oxygen levels. The year before I had my surgery my weight had increased just a little but it pushed me over a tipping point, and I would wake up at night with a racing irregular hear beat. In retrospect I was waking up because I was hypoxic and my hear rate was racing because my body needed to work overtime to deliver blood with oxygen in it to my brain and heart. this is pretty serious. good luck!