Lulu Belle

Lulu Belle

I am 5 months post-op and I had the gastric sleeve done. I have lost 73 pounds but now I'm at a standstill I try very hard to stay away from carbs or anyting white rice potatoes bread. I just wanted to know what everybody else thought about portions for your meals like suppertime how many ounces of protein and at one time per meal and how many ounces are do you do it by the cup for your vegetables. And thank you

Early out I was told to aim for 2-3 oz of protien each serve....about the size of a normal deck of playing cards is the ultimate goal in the long term (seems that's about 125g). Veggies were actively discouraged until that level of protien was consumed. My surgeon specifically told me that protien must always come first and he didn't care if that meant I never ate another vegetable in my life....supplements would take care of those needs. That said, I do eat veggies. When I serve my meals the entire sized plate is half meat, half veggies. I do try to consume the protien first, but it doesn't always happen that way.

Thanks I was wondering about how many vegetables is it like 2 ounces or so? I have just come to a stand still after losing 73 pds. Just scared I guess dont ever want to go back 

2 hours ago, Lulu Belle said:

Thanks I was wondering about how many vegetables is it like 2 ounces or so? I have just come to a stand still after losing 73 pds. Just scared I guess dont ever want to go back 

Your best bet is to get a digital scale and use it to measure out everything. And listen carefully to your body. You could probably start with 2 oz of vegetables and see how that works. Depending on your restriction, that might be too much when combined with 2-3 oz of protein.

Edited by athenarose

@Lulu Belle

Just a stall. Stay on the Path, you'll be okay. My loss path has been stalls and plateaus over and over ... but still effective.  just stick with it, you'll be fine. Continue with the basics, measure as @athenarose suggests, be patient. You'll be rewarded. 

10 hours ago, Lulu Belle said:

Like Rachael I'd recommend using a digital scale.  I weigh everything (and measure liquids) with calories.

In the meantime, here are a couple of charts giving nutritional information on 1 and 1/2 cup measurements:  Fruit & Vegetable Nutrition Facts Chart    What’s in a1/2 Cup* of VEGETABLES?

19 hours ago, Lulu Belle said:

Lulu Belle, allow me to make a recommendation. I bought an Oxo digital scale - it weights in both grams and ounces/lbs, has a display that you can have light up, and (unusually) you can remove the display which is linked to the actual scale with a cord. That is very useful if (for reasons other than measuring our measly 2 ounces of whatever) you are measuring something  big, that is so big it would hide the display.  I do most of the cooking in my house and not infrequently need to measure things into a big bowl as well as the usual small measures, and that has turned out to be rather useful.

This was not expected ... but now everyone in my family is using it to measure the beans for morning coffee, and everything else now. I make (now that I am in semi-demi-maintenance) sourdough bread and - like professional bakers - weigh out the sourdough starter, water, flour, salt, etc and my bread is very very consistent and reproducible. So it has turned out to be quite useful to everyone in the house.