Cindy Lou Who

"You look just the same!!"

I know, weird right? This is what happened....

My son became ill and in the hospital, so I flew immediately to his town to be with him. It turned out to be an acute condition, but dissipated rapidly. I spent a couple days with him after he was home for some "mommying" time, even after he went back to work. With time on my hands, I reached out and met up with an old friend who I hadn't see in 29 years. We had been close and have kept in touch through Christmas cards. 

We met for lunch. I was nervous. After she hugged me, the first words out of her mouth were.... "You look just the same!" 

What!?!? Oh yeah, then it hit me. At the time we were close, I was on a low on the weight yo-yo cycle, and was even a Weight Watcher leader. I jogged alot and was in decent shape and pretty near a healthy weight most the time. 

It was SO weird and SUCH a relief to NOT have to talk about my radical weight loss. It just wasn't an issue. She didn't even know about it! Anyway, now I'm back in the world of people's comments and shocked faces. Sometimes it's nice, and sometimes it's embarrassing. It was a nice break! :)

First of all, glad your son is ok!!!

secondly, what a nice respite from the questions or comments or "looks"!  It is funny Bc the same thing happened to me this past weekend. I saw my cousins whom I haven't seen since my wedding in 1984 ( I was 8# less than what I weigh now) so they probably thought I just maintain d all these years....if only they knew! (And I'm not on Facebook so they haven't even seen pics or anything, in fact, my uncle thought I was my --skinny-- sister!)

Glad your son is okay.

Both of you @Cindy Lou Who and @CheeringCJ are getting near to the dreaded " you've gone too far" or "you're becoming skeletal"  level of WLS surgery comments. Brace for it and have a few handy return comments ready. It's hard to take comments like that as complementary.... and generally they aren't but folks will make them anyway. Maintain a good connection with your doctor as reassurance, because if you're anything like me, you'll start to question yourself on where you need to stop. Oddly enough my family doctor has decided to start regular weighing now, something he has never done before. It's weird that I'm now a normal BMI and all of a sudden my actual weight has become revelation to him.

1 hour ago, Aussie Bear said:

Glad your son is okay.

Both of you @Cindy Lou Who and @CheeringCJ are getting near to the dreaded " you've gone too far" or "you're becoming skeletal"  level of WLS surgery comments. Brace for it and have a few handy return comments ready. It's hard to take comments like that as complementary.... and generally they aren't but folks will make them anyway. Maintain a good connection with your doctor as reassurance, because if you're anything like me, you'll start to question yourself on where you need to stop. Oddly enough my family doctor has decided to start regular weighing now, something he has never done before. It's weird that I'm now a normal BMI and all of a sudden my actual weight has become revelation to him.

Interesting, I have NEVER been accused of losing too much so I think it might strike me funny the first time (if it happens) but I think it would get annoying if you heard it over and over.....I know my body more than anyone else.  I am getting close to the enough part, but I still have a while to go before the too much part!  If it weren’t for the skin, I’d keep going for another 20-30 #!

4 hours ago, CheeringCJ said:

First of all, glad your son is ok!!!

secondly, what a nice respite from the questions or comments or "looks"!  It is funny Bc the same thing happened to me this past weekend. I saw my cousins whom I haven't seen since my wedding in 1984 ( I was 8# less than what I weigh now) so they probably thought I just maintain d all these years....if only they knew! (And I'm not on Facebook so they haven't even seen pics or anything, in fact, my uncle thought I was my --skinny-- sister!)

Thanks for wishing well to my son. :wub:

Haha, that's funny the same thing happened to you! Nice, but weird, right? Okay, and there's another weird coincidence between us, I was married in 1984 also. Our husbands have seen the "ups and downs" literally! Haha! Happy 35th next year!

2 hours ago, Aussie Bear said:

Glad your son is okay.

Thanks for the well wishes for my son. :wub: It was definitely scary, and so grateful it all ended up okay. 

And thanks for the warning about the possible "too skinny" comments. I would definitely be totally shocked to ever hear one. And I could see how it could easily derail my thoughts. And great advice about sticking with the doc's advice. Thanks so much. If I ever hear any now I'll think of you and your wise words.  I'm pretty confident that I couldn't get lower than a healthy BMI even if I tried, so I'll probably use that statistic. 

I did have an elder lady friend tell me this week that "many people who lose weight get too thin in the face, but yours still looks healthy and good." I don't really know what that means. But I said, "Thank you." I really meant, "thank you????" Thank goodness for small blessings that I have a healthy face! :lol:

Edited by Cindy Lou Who

1 hour ago, CheeringCJ said:

If it weren’t for the skin, I’d keep going for another 20-30 #!

Yes, the extra skin seems to be multiplying while I sleep all of a sudden! 

Yesterday I caught my youngest son staring at my upper arm when I had my hand on my hip. I know he was noticing (in horror probably) the vertical wrinkles! Eeeek! And my thighs! Don't even get me started on those! :lol: 

I'll happily take the bad with all the good that is happening. I'll take wrinkles over a CPAP machine ANY DAY! 

1 hour ago, Cindy Lou Who said:

I'll happily take the bad with all the good that is happening. I'll take wrinkles over a CPAP machine ANY DAY

RIGHT?!?  Me too!

I put on a cap-sleeved t-shirt dress today because it's so freaking hot outside... and then spent 5 minutes flexing my biceps in the mirror and cracking up.  OMG.  If I tried that in a stiff wind, I'd end up hang-gliding! 

(Some people get muscles and the skin starts to look less baggy.  I ... am not one of those individuals.  Held at the right angle, my arms look like those plastic grocery bags, with about a cup of water sloshing in the bottom...)

1 hour ago, Kio said:

RIGHT?!?  Me too!

I put on a cap-sleeved t-shirt dress today because it's so freaking hot outside... and then spent 5 minutes flexing my biceps in the mirror and cracking up.  OMG.  If I tried that in a stiff wind, I'd end up hang-gliding! 

(Some people get muscles and the skin starts to look less baggy.  I ... am not one of those individuals.  Held at the right angle, my arms look like those plastic grocery bags, with about a cup of water sloshing in the bottom...)

Ok, I look like an upside-down flying squirrel. I have lots of extra skin around my stomach and thighs but my arms have been spared. Now, if I could only spread my ... thighs... and jump upside from a tree ... maybe I could glide ... hmmm this might not work out .... :eek:

More seriously, @Cindy Lou Who glad your son is okay, and glad you had the chance to hang with a friend who knows you from the thinner past. Everyone who knows me from my 20s has been telling me that I have got myself back. ^_^

I'm glad your son is OK. 

What a refreshing compliment to get! It's like you got a reset button :) That is indeed a nice change from the ooohing and ahhhing that seem to jump out of nowhere uninvited (I know, what a thing to complain about, but I don't enjoy surprise compliments from random people). 

9 hours ago, Cindy Lou Who said:

Yes, the extra skin seems to be multiplying while I sleep all of a sudden! 

Yesterday I caught my youngest son staring at my upper arm when I had my hand on my hip. I know he was noticing (in horror probably) the vertical wrinkles! Eeeek! And my thighs! Don't even get me started on those! :lol: 

Caught my son doing the same exact thing.  He tried not to look horrified but the look was priceless.  He tried to keep talking like he hadn’t seen the ghosts of upper arms passed, but there was little my thin son could do to hide the shock!!!!!!   I found it funny...he is such sweetheart and would never say anything unkind, but his face betrayed him for sure!  But I find myself doing the same thing.  I tried to take a pic of myself in the mirror and I gasped out loud when I saw my own bat wings! Eeeeks!  Then I was swimming today and looked down and saw the thighs flapping in the water and didn’t know if I should cry or just shrug it off...I decided the latter because I’d rather be be flabby than “full”!!!

17 minutes ago, CheeringCJ said:

the thighs flapping in the water

Me the first time I went swimming after hitting GW. 

My skin is tightening up as time goes by - it's not where I want it to be, but it's improving. So there may be some hope!  :)

6 hours ago, Jen581791 said:

Me the first time I went swimming after hitting GW. 

My skin is tightening up as time goes by - it's not where I want it to be, but it's improving. So there may be some hope!  :)

You’ve been my “I wanna be” so i will keep at it, striving to be you! ;)

On 8/30/2018 at 3:18 PM, Cindy Lou Who said:

Thanks for wishing well to my son. :wub:

Haha, that's funny the same thing happened to you! Nice, but weird, right? Okay, and there's another weird coincidence between us, I was married in 1984 also. Our husbands have seen the "ups and downs" literally! Haha! Happy 35th next year!

That is pretty awesome!  We are so connected in our separate lives!  It is awesome having a connection with a previous stranger, now a commrade with such remarkable similarities!  :)

what are you guys doing next year for your 35th?  We will either end up going to Secrets in Jamaica (we have gone to secrets resorts every 5 yrs (and once in between) at all different resorts of theirs (they are an adult only all inclusive luxury resort and we love them) but we both also want to go to Sedona so I am not sure what we will do.  I assume I should ask my “twin” and see what you guys will do! :D

Just curious, how much did you weigh when you got married? I was 148.  I thought I was humongous! My husband has never known me to weigh less than that....secretely that is my personal goal to see if i can get to 147 so he can see me smaller than i have ever been in all the years we’ve known each other!

Edited by CheeringCJ

@CheeringCJ, sorry it took awhile to reply. Been travelling! 

On 8/31/2018 at 8:31 PM, CheeringCJ said:

That is pretty awesome!  We are so connected in our separate lives!  It is awesome having a connection with a previous stranger, now a commrade with such remarkable similarities!  :)

what are you guys doing next year for your 35th?  We will either end up going to Secrets in Jamaica (we have gone to secrets resorts every 5 yrs (and once in between) at all different resorts of theirs (they are an adult only all inclusive luxury resort and we love them) but we both also want to go to Sedona so I am not sure what we will do.  I assume I should ask my “twin” and see what you guys will do! :D

Don't know yet how we will celebrate! :) We love to travel, though, so that is probably in the cards. Probably will have golf in it as we both love to golf together. Let's keep each other updated! :) 

On 8/31/2018 at 8:31 PM, CheeringCJ said:

Just curious, how much did you weigh when you got married? I was 148.  I thought I was humongous! My husband has never known me to weigh less than that....secretely that is my personal goal to see if i can get to 147 so he can see me smaller than i have ever been in all the years we’ve known each othe

Love that secret goal! I weighed either 127 or 137 on my wedding day. Isn't that dumb that I don't remember?! I don't think I could ever get to 127 or would want to, but I like the idea of a secret goal. Maybe I should make it 137? Right now my goal is "Century Club" which will be at 144.5. I REALLY WANT THAT ONE! And I'm trying to think what I should do to celebrate when I get there! Any ideas? :)

6 hours ago, Cindy Lou Who said:

@CheeringCJ, sorry it took awhile to reply. Been travelling! 

Don't know yet how we will celebrate! :) We love to travel, though, so that is probably in the cards. Probably will have golf in it as we both love to golf together. Let's keep each other updated! :) 

Love that secret goal! I weighed either 127 or 137 on my wedding day. Isn't that dumb that I don't remember?! I don't think I could ever get to 127 or would want to, but I like the idea of a secret goal. Maybe I should make it 137? Right now my goal is "Century Club" which will be at 144.5. I REALLY WANT THAT ONE! And I'm trying to think what I should do to celebrate when I get there! Any ideas? :)

Oh you’li get there, girlfriend!  You are doing so awesome.    I just responded to your other post  to me about the measurements....you’re so close!

16 hours ago, Cindy Lou Who said:

...... I like the idea of a secret goal. Maybe I should make it 137? Right now my goal is "Century Club" which will be at 144.5. I REALLY WANT THAT ONE! And I'm trying to think what I should do to celebrate when I get there! Any ideas? :)

A piece of jewelry - something you would wear every day is a thought.  

I bought some pearl earrings - a friend bought a bracelet with an inspirational quote off Etsy.

38 minutes ago, cinwa said:

A piece of jewelry - something you would wear every day is a thought.  

I bought some pearl earrings - a friend bought a bracelet with an inspirational quote off Etsy.

Good idea! That way you're constantly reminded. I'll consider that.