PhotoBellaNJ

One week Post-Op

Hello all! My name is Maria and I’m one week post-op. Sleeved on 8/23/18. Finally moved to full liquids today and it’s been tough going. Looking forward to getting to know people here and having some support. 

Maria,

Welcome to TT.  Congrats on taking a big step in your life.  

1 hour ago, PhotoBellaNJ said:

Hello all! My name is Maria and I’m one week post-op. Sleeved on 8/23/18. Finally moved to full liquids today and it’s been tough going. Looking forward to getting to know people here and having some support. 

Breathe deaply, do two turns to each side (this is an obligatory salutation, I understand), and post frequently here. You'll be okay. Glad you are full liquids, let the Forum know what you like and perhaps we can suggest some full liquid things that will ease your path. 

FWIW I made a lot = really a lot = of fish stock which is super high in protein and deliciousness at your stage. I drank it as broth and used it as the base for a gazillion different things including a kind of WLS stew (New England chowda may, at times, rise to the same level as the NJ brew). Perhaps you know people who are crazy weird people fishing during the summer => would snag their fish and more importantly the heads and skeletons of their fish to use for fish broth. 

What has been tough for you? Empathy and congratulations on having the surgery. It was the best thing I ever did for myself. 

23 minutes ago, BurgundyBoy said:

Breathe deaply, do two turns to each side (this is an obligatory salutation, I understand), and post frequently here. You'll be okay. Glad you are full liquids, let the Forum know what you like and perhaps we can suggest some full liquid things that will ease your path. 

FWIW I made a lot = really a lot = of fish stock which is super high in protein and deliciousness at your stage. I drank it as broth and used it as the base for a gazillion different things including a kind of WLS stew (New England chowda may, at times, rise to the same level as the NJ brew). Perhaps you know people who are crazy weird people fishing during the summer => would snag their fish and more importantly the heads and skeletons of their fish to use for fish broth. 

What has been tough for you? Empathy and congratulations on having the surgery. It was the best thing I ever did for myself. 

The toughest part has just been getting enough fluids in. My surgeon told me if I don’t get 48 oz in today and tomorrow I should go to the ER for an IV. I managed it today but I feel so uncomfortably full. 

Welcome! :) 

Just keep at it with the liquids. It’s your job now. 

Once you get to puréed food stage, you might want to check out The World According to Egg Face’s blog, particularly her ricotta bake. She has tons of great recipes to keep you getting in your protein.

Welcome, Maria!  Aside from BB's excellent fish stock suggestion, chicken broth was wonderful at that stage - it counts as a "clear liquid" toward your 48oz and is not (like everything else I drank at that stage) sickeningly sweet. 

It's hard to hit the fluid goal so early out, but if you keep a water bottle or a drink handy at all times, and keep reminding yourself to sip, you will get through it.  Let us know if you have any questions, we're here to help!

11 hours ago, PhotoBellaNJ said:

The toughest part has just been getting enough fluids in. My surgeon told me if I don’t get 48 oz in today and tomorrow I should go to the ER for an IV. I managed it today but I feel so uncomfortably full. 

Wouldn't discount the possibility that so soon after surgery you might tend to feel "full" even without any fluids having gotten in. ;) It's pretty common in the first week or two after surgery. I think @Jen581791's remark is right - it's our job to drink fluids after surgery - stiff upper lip and all that ... here's hoping today is easier for you. 

Recently a friend told me about another way to make this stage easier: she cooked some hamburger meat, and then pureed it with some water in a blender -> strained it and had a beef stock. She made it with some herbs (thyme, sage) that added some aromatics so it was more savory. 

@PhotoBellaNJ, welcome and congratulations! You're on your way to a new life! 

Sip, sip, sip.... sounds so simple, but really a part time job in the beginnning. Do it! Just keep a cup at your side and count how much your getting each hour. Pretty soon it will feel easier. 

A liquid I liked alot in the beginning was bone broth. It's great to make your own from fish or chicken, but if not, it's also available in the grocery store. It's essentially broth, but with lots of protein and more taste. I either drank it straight, warmed up in the microwave, or cut in half with one of my favorite soups. This added more liquid and lots more protein to my regular favorite soups. (I personally like butternut squash soup because it's easy on the tum and no chunks. ) 

Switching around throughout the day from cold drinks to warm soups also adds variety to your tastebuds. 

To get motivated on the liquids, I also think that to lose weight, the fat essentially has to get "peed" out! (Sorry if that's too graphic for you, but it motivates me to drink lots of liquids so I can lose weight faster! :))

Good luck, you've got this!!

Thanks for all the great suggestions! I’m adding bone broth to my list of things to try. Today I filled a 32 oz water bottle with ice, water, and a packet of crystal light. Here’s hoping I’ll be able to get through it 1.5x! 

welcome- Im starting week 2 and boy what a challenge especially when you have 2 weeks of full liquid diet. but these people here are amazing, helpful and so friendly. i sit daily and sip, sip, sip and read all the great advise. ( i don't start back to work till tuesday) i have no problem with water just proteins.  good luck, take it day by day and everyday gets easier

55 minutes ago, never2late said:

welcome- Im starting week 2 and boy what a challenge especially when you have 2 weeks of full liquid diet. but these people here are amazing, helpful and so friendly. i sit daily and sip, sip, sip and read all the great advise. ( i don't start back to work till tuesday) i have no problem with water just proteins.  good luck, take it day by day and everyday gets easier

Thank you! I go back to work Tuesday as well and am nervous about getting a routine going while I’m there. Hoping I’ll be able to make it happen. 

On 8/31/2018 at 8:05 PM, PhotoBellaNJ said:

Thank you! I go back to work Tuesday as well and am nervous about getting a routine going while I’m there. Hoping I’ll be able to make it happen. 

Be of good cheer. You'll develop a routine, don't be nervous. Just be thoughtful about what you pack to eat and drink.

I'm a year and a half out, and I pack a late morning small snack, lunch (high protein) and on some days a late afternoon snack. To amuse myself - one needs beauty and humor in daily life - I bought a bright red, small, bento box that I use for packing. A typical lunch now would be some cheese, perhaps some salami, perhaps some leftover chicken or duck, olives and home made sour dough bread. I keep Kirkland brand protein bars with high protein and fiber in my office as well as Premier Protein drinks so if my schedule changes I am not caught out. At your stage perhaps high-protein yogurt is what you will be eating soon, but don't sweat or be anxious about this. Just decide what you will consume, bring it, and that's it. Sometimes at my workplace there are sandwiches or similar foods provided at lunch; I rarely eat them. If there is a high-protein sandwich or wrap lunch, I strip off the bread on the sandwich and eat the protein. No one else cares, no one else is looking at me, and if they did look ... I don't care. 

Some people have workplaces where others bring in bad foods, like doughnuts. Ignore it. You don't need to "participate" by eating bagels, doughnuts, pizza or other carbohydrate-rich junk food. Some people posting here have written about their anxiety that they won't be seen as "participatory" if they don't eat (fill in the blank with the bad food). Don't sweat it, don't eat it. You don't need to comment, to agree, to participate, just go about your business and ignore the crap. If everyone gathers on Friday afternoon at 4 pm to have pizza -> either don't go or show up and drink your tea. YOU are in control. YOU are the boss.