Sign in to follow this  
Ro_Bro

Blood thinner injections?

Hi guys,

I just found out at a weight loss surgery support group that I will have to give myself injections of some sort of blood thinner twice a day for a month! Yikes!

Did anyone else have to do that? I'm not sure that I can "stick" myself...

Lol

Yup - I had to do that.  It's not that bad - they'll teach you to do it while you're still in the hospital.  It's subcutaneous, and you generally do it by pinching up a fold of skin on your abdomen or thigh and injecting - trying not to inject in the same spot as the last time.  As I recall, it really didn't hurt much.  However, a lot of people bruise at the injection sites - because it's a blood thinner!  I walked around with black and blue thighs for two months.  :D 

That's not uncommon Ro_Bro.  I didn't have to go on blood thinner shots but my husband has on a couple of occasions and I did them for him in his belly.  I just grabbed a fold of belly fat - he has skinny legs!  LOL!

Kio is right - a nurse or doc will show you how to do it and the needle is thin.  Check out YouTube

I only had them in hospital. I was a quite low BMI <30  on day of surgery,  so was deemed low risk for clots and spared the self injecting. 

Interestingly I had foot surgery 3-4 months after my bypass. The orthopedic surgeon prescribes aspirin for blood thinning for 8 weeks after that surgery.....pretty much until the cast comes off. I couldn't have aspirin due to the bypass. He said that the risks of clots was actually lower than the risks from shots at my them "normal BMI", so I was just told to use fish oil capsules for blood thinning.

I really don't mind shots, I just can't do it to myself! So wierd! Why can't they prescribe coumadin or something for petes sake?!??!

I live alone so no one could give them to me....maybe if my cats had oposable thumbs!

(sorry for my poor spelling...that's what spellcheck is for...)

I think the concern is about absorption - they can be sure it's getting into you if it's injected!

13 hours ago, Ro_Bro said:

I really don't mind shots, I just can't do it to myself! So wierd! Why can't they prescribe coumadin or something for petes sake?!??!

I live alone so no one could give them to me....maybe if my cats had oposable thumbs!

(sorry for my poor spelling...that's what spellcheck is for...)

Apparently, "Heparin and warfarin are both anticoagulants, medications that decrease new development of blood clots, however they work differently. ... Heparin is used to provide an immediate response while warfarin is generally used for long term treatment."

It is quite a process to get a therapeutic level of Coumadin and it requires constant monitoring of blood tests while getting it regulated.  It really is only indicated for long term use like for A-fib or a blood clot in the leg perhaps (although now they often use one of the newer meds such as Zarelto).  The injectables (Heparin or often Lovenox) works quickly and more predictably.  It's given with tiny tiny needles and is really quite simple to self- administer.  I used to teach new diabetics to give their own insulin and every single patient said they couldn't do it.  Getting past the first one is the hard part, just from the fear and anxiety of the unknown.  Once you realize it's really not a big deal it's easy-peasy.  Truly, it's one of the tiniest needles they make and it's given in the subcutaneous (fat) layer (which we all have plenty of pre-op!) and the belly is not a particularly sensitive area. You totally can do this, I guarantee it!

Thank you msmarymac!!!

You guys are wonderful!