gigiwalter1

Scheduling surgery while in school

Hello all!

Ok so I’m getting so close to finishing up my 6 month physician supervised weight loss and all of my other pre-op requirements. I tentatively think I should be looking at the first/first part of November for surgery. My question to all of you is (and I know it’s different for everyone but still want opinions) how soon after surgery do you think I’ll be able to handle going back to class? Would a week off of school for surgery and recoop time be enough? I’m getting so impatient and want to hurry and get the surgery but I also don’t want to screw up my entire semester. If I don’t schedule for the beginning of November then it would more than likely have to wait till Christmas break. And I’ll also be making a trip to Texas then too for my sisters graduation. Oh decisions decisions. Anyway, any and all advice would be appreciated. 

I think it would depend on what classes you’re taking. Physically, you’ll probably be ok although a week might be cutting it close depending on how your recovery goes, Personally, I know I was super wiped out right after my surgery for a good long while (probably about 8 weeks or so) and it would’ve been hard for me to concentrate in really challenging classes being so tired. For comparison sake, I got pregnant during my last semester of college and was similarly exhausted. I was very thankful that my class load wasn’t too intense. I’d also err on the side of caution and take classes that don’t require attendance (like science labs) in case you do have complications.  So, personally, I’d say, if you’re just doing school and can weight your classes toward less demanding courses, you’d probsbly be ok. But that’s just my thought.

As usual, I totally agree with @athenarose.

Unless you have post-surgery complications, you should be physically able to return to classes that you sit through about seven to ten days after surgery.  However, you will be tired in the afternoons and probably won't feel normal levels of energy for a month or so.  

Also, you will be recovering from surgery and thus getting between classes in a hurry may be rough if you have to take lots of stairs or change buildings.  

Finally, these recovery estimates are based on you having your surgery through a laparoscopic process (which is the normal process in 2018) rather than the old fashioned surgical process of cutting your body open (which takes much longer to recover from).

Thanks guys!! Mainly I have one class that concerns me and it is a science class...Anatomy and Physiology. Luckily though all my classes are in one building and the most I have in one day is 2 classes. One those days I'm done at 1pm so there will be time for naps lol. But I also know that the earlier I do the surgery and not push it back to Christmas break then the further through recovery I'll be before spring semester starts. That semester will be a big one. 

@gigiwalter1

I'd be cautious about scheduling surgery during the semester, or before your exam period for this semester. How much of a break do you have been the graduation and the spring semester starting? Have seen a lot of academic flame-outs due to illness or things that were not expected. 

No surgeon in my experience would be willing to say that 1 week is enough ... too many people need 2 or 3 weeks. They might be willing to say that the range can stretch as low as one week. ... but any level of assurance? Hmmm ...

I would also recommend the end of the semester.  Maybe you could arrange to take finals early and do it right at the end of the semester, giving you an extended winter break to recover.  It's just so hard to figure out the timing in the beginning...the eating and sipping and all.  Whatever you decide, wishing you the best!

Well tentatively planning on Thanksgiving break but we’ll see how everything goes. 

I’d agree with end of semester as a good cautious plan. My brain was pretty stupid while I was recovering...