2 days post...  barely got enough fluids yesterday.  am I supposed to have fluids in my hand the entire day sipping? how long should it take me to drink a premier shake? how long between sips should i sip? this is the part i'm struggling with not knowing whats right.

Yep!  Wherever you go and whatever you do, you have to have a drink right in front of you.  

I have never done the sip-sip-sip thing - it just generated a lot of unwelcome air in my pouch because every time we put a drink to our mouth, it's instinctive to take in a breath of air.  I drink a decent mouthful at a time (I have never been a gulper).

My sympathies... it was super hard for me to hit my fluid goals for a long time after surgery.  I was pretty consistently dehydrated even before surgery - just not a water drinker.  Have faith, though - eventually you'll find a good pattern and getting the fluids in will become second nature.

@cinwa is right - just have something to drink with you at all times!

After surgery, a premier protein shake took me about an hour to get through.  Water went a little faster.  If you're drinking a couple of premier protein shakes a day, that's 22 oz of fluids, so you're already halfway to your immediately-post-surgery goal (at least, according to MY program, which had me at 42-64 oz of fluid a day for the first month, then 64oz+ thereafter).  Two protein shakes a day in 2 hours=22oz, then if you can manage another 5 oz of water each hour you should be doing pretty good by the end of the day.  :)

It helped me to have a specific container that held 5 oz of water, and use that constantly, keeping track of refills.  If your program is like mine, you should be aiming to refill it at least 4 times in a day at this stage if you also drink 2 premier protein shakes a day.

My program also recommended that my "meals" end after an hour.  So for me, it was no more shake if I hadn't finished it, until time for the next "meal." In this very early stage, fluid goals are more important than protein goals.

On 8/25/2018 at 7:15 PM, never2late said:

am I supposed to have fluids in my hand the entire day sipping?

Short answer: yes. Fluids like it’s your job. It basically IS your job right now. Set a timer on your phone and drink every X minutes (you can do the math on ounces per hour or whatever will get you to your goal). 

Early out, I think I was taking ½ hour to an hour to drink a shake. That got faster pretty quick, though. 

@Jen581791 @Kio ugh... so stressful. a full shake? I'm so behind.... i was excited about getting in 4 oz.  I will say i constantly feel like i'm starving. is this normal?  i really am missing real food

9 hours ago, never2late said:

@Jen581791 @Kio ugh... so stressful. a full shake? I'm so behind.... i was excited about getting in 4 oz.  I will say i constantly feel like i'm starving. is this normal?  i really am missing real food

Totally normal to be missing food, for many reasons, both physical and emotional. 

At this early out, you are not likely experiencing a real physical need for food, but a feeling like hunger that’s driven by your thoughts of food. Your stomach nerves are not healed enough to get the actual signals right, but thinking about food will definitely set in motion the body’s response to an upcoming meal - you know how your stomach growls when you think about food? That’s not actually signaling that you need food - it’s your intestines getting ready to digest what they think is coming, since you’re thinking about food :) I didn’t learn what real, actual hunger felt like for several months after surgery: low energy, brain fog, irritability. It took some time to learn what that felt like. In the meantime I spent a lot of time shouting at my guts that they were not really hungry. They learned eventually. I think I spent a lot of my life making myself “hungry” by thinking about food, and then throwing food down my throat to stop that gnawing feeling, thereby setting off the cycle again. It took some time and patience to relearn what real actual hunger felt like in my new system. 

Drink lots of water, keep after the protein goals with the shakes. When you start through the food stages, your stomach will definitely feel full - with just tiny amounts. Hang in there!

@Jen581791 thank you! that makes sense. so I have to ask you..... looking at your progress and how GREAT you did... whats your new norm food wise? exercise? 

6 hours ago, never2late said:

@Jen581791 thank you! that makes sense. so I have to ask you..... looking at your progress and how GREAT you did... whats your new norm food wise? exercise? 

In my first year, until I hit GW, I was pretty strict with myself - about 800 calories per day, under 30g or so of carbs. No “treats,” no “cheating.” Plenty of physical activity - an hour or so most days.

Since I hit GW, I upped my calories to the point where my weight stabilized, which for me happens to be about 1800-2000 calories per day. Which is a lot. I’m still very careful about what I eat, but obviously I’ve got a bit more wiggle room with that many calories. I eat about 100g of carbs per day now, but not junk - fruits, dairy, veggies, some whole grains. In general I’m just careful about what I put in my mouth - I know that if I mentally ease up on myself I will find ways to expand that into cake every day :(  So I just don’t. I go to the gym about 5x a week, one hour of fast treadmill walking, and ½ hour of weights. I also frequently hike on my off days. In general, I just live a very different (much more satisfying) life now.

It requires a lot of changes - I’ve worked hard on talking myself into being a different person. I do a lot of self-talk about who I am and what I like and don’t like now. I think that the remaking of my self-image has been the biggest key. I am an active person who likes to exercise. I’m not really that into food. I like to go to the gym. I love hiking. I don’t really eat sweets or carbs. I don’t eat dessert. I don’t like to cook. I don’t really get excited about going out to eat. Those are all true statements now, but they have required a lot of mental reinforcement. 

@Jen581791 that's awesome! you sound happy

I took a 2 ounce shot glass, set an alarm and drank every 15 minutes.  8 hours and done..

Edited by Cheesehead