JS71

Hi 6 yrs out regained weight feeling defeated

Hi guys,

I'm new here.  Had sleeve 6 years ago only lost 40 lbs  was still 100lbs over goal weight

Here I am 6 years later with lots of ups and downs and 15 lbs away from where I started!  Feeling defeated.

Had barium swallow yesterday, new doc said "your a product of tough circumstances", WHAT does that mean?  recommended the bypass,

can't do it due to other health problems.  I asked to see the pic of my sleeve, he said there were too many people in that room now and I never got any

real answers.  I asked if my sleeve was still in tact or too stretched out and he said it was in tact and to follow up with my original surgeon.  I didn't even know he was still in

business.  Called them and they said "are you having complications? I said not really, " they acted like there was no point to come in.

I Feel lost.  Anyone else regain weight? 

I want to know WHAT do I eat?  HOW much?  I guess I won't know till I get another barium swallow????

I had gastric bypass (rouen Y) about 5 or 6 years ago and I'm about 40 lbs away from where I started.  Getting a revision is like an act of congress.  I wasn't compliant and didn't eat exactly the way I should have, I definitely don't drink with meals, but don't always wait 30 minutes before or after food to drink.  I was a smoker, but JUST quit.  I do take my vitamins that they suggested and try to eat slow and chew, chew, chew, but i have gained about 60+ pounds back.  SIGH - right now I'm trying to do the Keto diet so I don't gain any more weight from quitting smoking.  It's def my own fault, but it is what it is.  My pouch still tells me I am full, which is a good thing - now I just need to eat the right choices of food and get my @*# in gear and exercise!!

yea exercise is where I fall short too.  I just did the 5 day pouch reset thing, which I know doesn't really work, but I wanted to change my diet and I didn't even lose ONE pound

from being on liquids for 2 days!  what the heck is that

16 minutes ago, JS71 said:

Hi guys,

I'm new here.  Had sleeve 6 years ago only lost 40 lbs  was still 100lbs over goal weight

Here I am 6 years later with lots of ups and downs and 15 lbs away from where I started!  Feeling defeated.

Had barium swallow yesterday, new doc said "your a product of tough circumstances", WHAT does that mean?  recommended the bypass,

can't do it due to other health problems.  I asked to see the pic of my sleeve, he said there were too many people in that room now and I never got any

real answers.  I asked if my sleeve was still in tact or too stretched out and he said it was in tact and to follow up with my original surgeon.  I didn't even know he was still in

business.  Called them and they said "are you having complications? I said not really, " they acted like there was no point to come in.

I Feel lost.  Anyone else regain weight? 

I want to know WHAT do I eat?  HOW much?  I guess I won't know till I get another barium swallow????

I would call them back and answer "Yes" to having complications.  Because I think not ever losing more than 40 pounds is a complication of sorts. See if they have any programs available to help you re-learn how to manage your tool. If you aren't a candidate for a revision, here's what I think they would probably tell you:

1.  Get back to dietary basics.  Measure your lean protein (3 to 4 oz) eat it first then eat veggies until satisfied (not full as in stuffed just satisfied) Don't drink 30 minutes before or after meals.  Aim for 60 to 80 gm of protein per day and at least 64 oz of water per day.  Easy on the fruit and nuts until you reach maintenance.  Don't drink calories.  Limit carbs. 

2.  Move your body .  What you eat is far more important to weight loss than exercise, but I think we sometimes underestimate the power movement has in improving overall health which in turn makes it easier to stick with a lifestyle change and be happy.  Most of us undergo surgery because we want to be healthier so why overlook the one thing we KNOW benefits our health in so many ways.

3.  Manage the head stuff.  Many of us have or have had problems associating food with emotions.  We eat to feel better about bad relationships or stressful days or cranky kids or even celebrations.  Learning the difference between head hunger and physiological hunger and developing other healthier coping mechanisms cannot be emphasized enough.  This is probably responsible for regain much of the time.  This and grazing/snacking all day long :)

You can do this!  It's not easy but man is it worth it!

OH MY GOODNESS thank you!  That was so helpful.  I couldn't remember what to do and I was thinking I could only eat

a TOTAL of 3-4oz including meat and veggies.  What a relief!

I called and made an appointment with another dr. since my original didn't seem so interested I didn't think i'd get much help.

I will do another barium swallow and he will go over with me the size of my pouch and what I need to do.  Just waiting on insurance approval

for the appointment or find out if I have to pay to schedule it.

You have been SO SO helpful, thank you!

@JS71

I found this on the web last year - it's called "Pouch Rules for Dummies" and was written by a surgeon with 33 years of WLS experience. You may find it useful to look at - written for people with a full bypass but still lots of good information. 

http://www.amylhwilliams.com/pouchrulesfordummies.html

That’s great info @BurgundyBoy....thanks!

On 8/23/2018 at 2:43 PM, BurgundyBoy said:

@JS71

I found this on the web last year - it's called "Pouch Rules for Dummies" and was written by a surgeon with 33 years of WLS experience. You may find it useful to look at - written for people with a full bypass but still lots of good information. 

http://www.amylhwilliams.com/pouchrulesfordummies.html

I could not make that link work, so in case other people are having the same problem here is another link to the "Pouch Rules for Dummies" article:

http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/amos/6023757/kathy-S-WLS-Journey-Pouch-Rules-for-Dummies/

As noted below and based on my gastric bypass experience, I do not agree with strictly following all of the advice in these "Rules."  Quite frankly, it is obvious to me that these "rules" were not written by a person who had a gastric bypass and used it to reach and maintain a healthy weight.  For example, this is the "ideal meal process" or "rules of the pouch" in this article:

IDEAL MEAL PROCESS (rules of the pouch):

1. The patient must time meals five hours apart or the patient will get too hungry in between. 
2. The patient needs to eat finely cut meat and raw or slightly cooked veggies with each meal. 
3. The patient must eat the entire meal in 5-15 minutes. A 30-45 minute meal will cause failure. 
4. No liquids for 1 ½ hours to 2 hours after each meal. 
5. After 1 ½ to 2 hours, begin sipping water and over the next three hours slowly increase water intake. 
6. 3 hours after last meal, begin drinking LOTS of water/fluids. 
7. 15 minutes before the next meal, drink as much as possible as fast as possible. This is called "water loading." IF YOU HAVEN'T BEEN DRINKING OVER THE LAST FEW HOURS, THIS "WATER LOADING" WILL NOT WORK. 
8. You can water load at any time 2-3 hours before your next meal if you get hungry, which will cause a strong feeling of fullness.

My thoughts on these 8 rules:

1.  Not my experience.  Most days I get up early and eat breakfast at around 6 am.  I then have lunch at around 12:30 pm to 1 pm, and dinner at around 7 pm.  Thus, my meals are 6-7 hours apart.  I usually have a healthy snack mid-morning and mid-afternoon.  I find that I have little or no hunger.  Indeed, most of us find that having 5-6 smaller meals works better than three larger meals, as long as these 5-6 smaller meals are based on lean protein and not carbs.

2.  Not my experience.  I do not have "raw or slightly cooked veggie with each meal."  While I have a protein source (usually meat) in every meal, many of my meals have either cooked veggies or no veggies at all.  It is true that meat, as well as other foods, needs to be well chewed or diced prior to swallowing.

3.  Not my experience.  If I eat too quickly, it can cause stomach upset and even sometimes a need to vomit.  I have found that a slow meal is fine as long as I do not eat to excess.

4.  Not my experience.  I do not drink liquids for about 45 minutes after a meal.  I like drinking lots of liquids, as they keep me both feeling full and hydrated, and having a 1.5 to 2 hour no drinking period after each meal would be quite unpleasant.  

5-7.  Not my experience.  It is important to drink a lot of liquids during the day, and not to drink significant qualities of liquids just prior to, during and directly after a meal.  The deliberate use of "water loading" 15 minutes prior to a meal is not something that I do, and yet I have been quite successful at using my gastric bypass to reach and then maintain at my goal weight.

8.  Yes.  Drinking liquids will make you feel full and get rid of hunger.

Do other gastric bypass folks here follow these "pouch rules"? 

Thanks @Res Ipsa! I continue to learn from all of you, and I appreciate it!

On 8/26/2018 at 4:28 AM, Res Ipsa said:

Do other gastric bypass folks here follow these "pouch rules"? 

Absolutely not! I've read these rules a few times over the past year or so and everytime thought #%$!!!!

For me it's three small meals a day and two to three approx 100-150 calorie snacks. Focus is on getting protien first. I do serve myself a small amount of vegetables..... we are just coming to the end of winter here so they tend to be cooked. I don't really care if I can't eat them though because my surgeon is only really interested in protien and healthy fat consumption.... He says that all the supplements can handle the rest of my nutritional needs. I'm aiming for fresh fruits to be my snacks these days. Most meals I drink right up to mealtime, I leave a minimum 30 minutes after eating though unless it's a special occasion and I'm indulging in the fermented grape juice. I now have a medication that needs to be taken right at the start of a meal, so no option now to delay fluids before meals anyway. As for cut up meat etc, I serve my steak etc whole (well the size I'm likely to eat) and cut it as I'm eating it. Just the process of cutting smaller pieces between bites I find to be a useful slow down without attracting the attention of others. It's a bit like playing with your food.

Edited by Aussie Bear
Autocorrect Again GRRRRR!!!!!!!

I certainly don't follow these rules.  I feel like I eat basically all day long.  Tiny "meals" though.  I probably eat most like @Aussie Bear .  I have a giant latte in the morning that has about 150 cal of Fairlife milk in it, then space out five or six "meals" of around 150 calories through the rest of the day.  My evening meal may have more - like around 200-250 cal - because I'm usually eating a small amount of whatever my housemates have made for themselves.  When I track (to see where things are, not constantly these days) I generally am getting around 1000-1200 calories in a day, mostly protein and fat - and mostly dairy.  I still have trouble with solid proteins, so I tend to eat a lot of yogurt and cheese and milk, with an occasional protein shake thrown in.  Ground beef is generally safe for me, and chicken if it's dark meat, and scallops... but cooking is a lot of work and I'm pretty lazy.  ;)  I imagine I'll eat more solid protein in winter, when cooking is more attractive.

I do drink a lot though - it took me a long time to ramp up, but I generally do get around 80 oz of fluid a day now.  And I still don't drink during or immediately after a meal (for 30 min after).