Cardamom77

Dodgy tummy :(

Recommended Posts

So I've had a bit of a tummy ache today that I don't think can be attributed to food. I've eaten nothing out of the ordinary and my vitamins have all been taken at regular times and with food. That iron can sometimes get me, but that's probably not the case today. Anyway, all of that to say I think it's a virus or somesuch. I haven't thrown up, but I feel kinda ick and I can say - delicate flower that I am - that my intestines are in turmoil. LOL! 

Pre-op, I'd tuck in with some saltines and Sprite, but I don't know what to do when that's not an option! I haven't had near the protein I'm supposed to get for today. Is that ok? I have only had one or two days when I didn't get all my protein in, but we're talking 5-10 grams short. Today I'm about 40 grams short. But I don't want to force myself to eat when I don't feel well. 

I also feel a bit silly. I mean, I probably should have had a plan for this, right? Stomach bugs happen! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm sorry you're a little under the weather Cardamom77 - the odd day or two of little to no protein isn't likely to cause problems - just keep up with your fluids.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So what I'm hearing is that I need to go buy a box of sugar-free popsicles. Haha! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You are at your goal weight - have a few saltines and whatever drink you like.  :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, Res Ipsa said:

You are at your goal weight - have a few saltines and whatever drink you like.  :D

Hey, that's a really good point! Haha!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I second the advice to eat the saltiness and don't worry about the protien. A couple of days here and there off plan isn't going to do any damage.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Agree that saltines today won't hurt you.  But for a dodgy tummy I've always reached for the chicken broth!  Warm and happy-making.  The saltier the better! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's rare that I suffer from an upset tummy but when I do, I hit the green or peppermint tea or fresh ginger tea (I peel fresh ginger, chop it into 1 1/2 - 2" chunks and freeze it.   As and when, I just pull out a chunk and grate it (fine side of the grater).  Add boiling water and let it steep for 3 to 4 minutes).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, Res Ipsa said:

You are at your goal weight - have a few saltines and whatever drink you like.  :D

Tch, tch, you might be misinterpreted as to be saying it's okay to have a glass of Fermented Grapes with those saltines. Why, we might have people espouting the merits of Champagne, cannabinoids, or (I blush, I blush) sexual congress as a distraction for an upset stomach if we are not careful. Forsooth, forsooth... @Cardamom77 would counsel some fine ginger tea of the cinwa bent, or the broth of Kio's suggestion, with a stiff vodka. :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If it’s a stomach upset eat what you think will sit good.  Eat a cracker or two, they won’t kill you..  and protein if you’re short a day or two is fine..

hope you feel better!

Edited by Cheesehead

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, BurgundyBoy said:

Tch, tch, you might be misinterpreted as to be saying it's okay to have a glass of Fermented Grapes with those saltines. Why, we might have people espouting the merits of Champagne, cannabinoids, or (I blush, I blush) sexual congress as a distraction for an upset stomach if we are not careful. Forsooth, forsooth... @Cardamom77 would counsel some fine ginger tea of the cinwa bent, or the broth of Kio's suggestion, with a stiff vodka. :)

@BurgundyBoy et al,

Now that cannabis dispensaries are poised to open in MA, I’ve wondered if the product would hurt someone with RNY. A girlfriend has a medical marijuana card and uses cannabis to relieve her RA and lupus flare ups. I’d be interested in cannabis as a pain reliever/sleep aid. Any thoughts?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/20/2018 at 7:59 PM, Cardamom77 said:

So I've had a bit of a tummy ache today that I don't think can be attributed to food. I've eaten nothing out of the ordinary and my vitamins have all been taken at regular times and with food. That iron can sometimes get me, but that's probably not the case today. Anyway, all of that to say I think it's a virus or somesuch. I haven't thrown up, but I feel kinda ick and I can say - delicate flower that I am - that my intestines are in turmoil. LOL! 

Pre-op, I'd tuck in with some saltines and Sprite, but I don't know what to do when that's not an option! I haven't had near the protein I'm supposed to get for today. Is that ok? I have only had one or two days when I didn't get all my protein in, but we're talking 5-10 grams short. Today I'm about 40 grams short. But I don't want to force myself to eat when I don't feel well. 

I also feel a bit silly. I mean, I probably should have had a plan for this, right? Stomach bugs happen! 

This won’t help immediately but you may want to open a bottle of ginger ale and let the fizz out. Keep it in your fridge and use it when needed. I second the chopped ginger recommendation. It’s got quite a kick and is lovely. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, NerdyToothpick said:

@BurgundyBoy et al,

Now that cannabis dispensaries are poised to open in MA, I’ve wondered if the product would hurt someone with RNY. A girlfriend has a medical marijuana card and uses cannabis to relieve her RA and lupus flare ups. I’d be interested in cannabis as a pain reliever/sleep aid. Any thoughts?

Not if you're going to smoke it Toothpick!!!! No smoking for life remember.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Aussie Bear said:

Not if you're going to smoke it Toothpick!!!! No smoking for life remember.

Nooooo. I would never smoke it. My FIL died a horrible death due to lung cancer. @Aussie Bear

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, NerdyToothpick said:

@BurgundyBoy et al,

Now that cannabis dispensaries are poised to open in MA, I’ve wondered if the product would hurt someone with RNY. A girlfriend has a medical marijuana card and uses cannabis to relieve her RA and lupus flare ups. I’d be interested in cannabis as a pain reliever/sleep aid. Any thoughts?

My read is that scientific / medical knowledge of cannabinoids and pain relief is limited because of its prior illegality ... but there sure are a lot of people who state that it helps with chronic pains, and works more effectively than prescribed drugs for sleep. Also US states that have legalized or at least de-criminalized cannabis have seen a decrease in deaths from opioids. I think it works based on personal experience. Recently had dinner with 2 physician friends, with lives ridden by anxieties and cursed by the light sleep of people of my age ... and they swear it works better for them than anything else for sleep.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, NerdyToothpick said:

Nooooo. I would never smoke it. My FIL died a horrible death due to lung cancer. @Aussie Bear

Amen. So many in my family died early from either lung cancer or emphysema. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Anecdotally, I've been gifted with a bottle of cannabis extract oil and it does help with the bit of arthritis I have in my foot.  I just rub it on when the pain is particularly unpleasant and it helps after just a few minutes.  It's not a miracle cure or anything, but it does take off the edge!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I honestly can’t wait for medical cannabis here. I would qualify based on my PTSD, but I would mainly use it as a sleeping aid. I would not smoke it. When my husband allegedly used alleged cannabis for cancer, allegedly, it was as alleged edibles. One of the chemo meds could cause scarring in the lungs if he was given oxygen, so we didn’t want to take any chances. :-/ 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Cardamom77 said:

I honestly can’t wait for medical cannabis here. I would qualify based on my PTSD, but I would mainly use it as a sleeping aid. I would not smoke it. When my husband allegedly used alleged cannabis for cancer, allegedly, it was as alleged edibles. One of the chemo meds could cause scarring in the lungs if he was given oxygen, so we didn’t want to take any chances. :-/ 

There are some legal options for states that don’t currently have medical exemptions for cannabis. This company (https://thegeorgiahempcompany.com/) is based in Atlanta and they sell CBD and other stuff that has levels of THC below the illegal threshold. Not sure if it would work for you, but I wanted to mention it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/21/2018 at 11:37 PM, NerdyToothpick said:

@BurgundyBoy et al,

Now that cannabis dispensaries are poised to open in MA, I’ve wondered if the product would hurt someone with RNY. A girlfriend has a medical marijuana card and uses cannabis to relieve her RA and lupus flare ups. I’d be interested in cannabis as a pain reliever/sleep aid. Any thoughts?

I am a longtime cannabis user - I vape, not smoke - and I refuse to hide it because it's RIDICULOUS that we live in a country where cigarettes and alcohol are legal while cannabis is not (but I digress). I took a break for the 2 months leading up to surgery and the 2 months after, but I have been a regular user since then and have had zero problems. One of the best things about dispensaries is that you have more control over the strain that you are getting. There are several strains that do not cause things like "the munchies" There are also specific strains that would absolutely help you with pain relief and sleep. The more cannabis is regulated and studied, the more we will be able to reap the benefits which, depending on strains, can be highly personalized to your needs.

Anyhoo...I'm not at all passionate about the subject. ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks @Boho Rosy! I appreciate the honesty and feedback. xo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/23/2018 at 12:46 PM, Boho Rosy said:

I am a longtime cannabis user - I vape, not smoke - and I refuse to hide it because it's RIDICULOUS that we live in a country where cigarettes and alcohol are legal while cannabis is not (but I digress). I took a break for the 2 months leading up to surgery and the 2 months after, but I have been a regular user since then and have had zero problems. One of the best things about dispensaries is that you have more control over the strain that you are getting. There are several strains that do not cause things like "the munchies" There are also specific strains that would absolutely help you with pain relief and sleep. The more cannabis is regulated and studied, the more we will be able to reap the benefits which, depending on strains, can be highly personalized to your needs.

Anyhoo...I'm not at all passionate about the subject. ;)

@Boho Rosy I agree with all of what you've said! I don't partake often but it affects me the same post op as it did pre-op. @NerdyToothpick I think vaping is the way to go as I'm not a fan of edibles. If you want to go with edibles, start with a little, like 1/4 of what the package says is a dose. Wait 45 minutes and then decide if you want more. I learned this the hard way.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now