Hi. Been overweight for most of my life, finally, I think the right thing to do is get surgical help, my health is going down hill, and my life is rubbish, looking for some people who have had similar feelings and what they did to get themselves though the bad times

Welcome to Thinner Times Wayner!

Been there myself ...  I wasted 35+ years yoyo-ing myself up to 260+lb and were it not for bariatric surgery, if I were still on this earth - I'd have been dealing with multiple obesity related diseases.

Seems like I wasted most of my life being fat, I got a date, so I can't wait, but on the other hand it's a massive change of life and I'm worried if I'll be able to cope

24 minutes ago, Wayner said:

Seems like I wasted most of my life being fat, I got a date, so I can't wait, but on the other hand it's a massive change of life and I'm worried if I'll be able to cope

;) It's not hard coping with the physical ease of getting around, the ability to get "normal" clothing, and getting rid of a bunch of medications. And fitting into chairs and seats and loos and being able to walk a distance without pain. You'll like most of the changes. Like @cinwa I was heavy for ~ 35 years. 

@Wayner - congrats on getting your surgery date, and on starting down right track.  I was concerned about how I would cope, too.  But honestly - you're going to be so involved in the program for the first 6 months, it will fly by.  I still can't believe I'm at almost a year out from my surgery - and my life has changed radically for the better!  It's easy before surgery to focus on the scary changes - like, can I really eat so little, can I handle just fluids for however long I have to, can I handle not eating solids for a while, will I be able to follow my program.... but here's the thing.  Unlike every other time you have probably tried to diet, the positive reinforcement of weight loss in the first six months or so will be constant and encouraging.  Your instincts - which up until now have probably been a bit untrustworthy, if you're like most of us - will be to keep doing whatever keeps the weight loss going. And along with the weight loss, your life will begin getting easier and easier long before you ever get to your goal weight.  The pounds come off (kilos?!) but the other thing that comes off is the stress on your body and mind of carrying those extra kilos around all day, every day.  

Does that sound like something you can cope with?  :) 

4 hours ago, Wayner said:

I think that most of go into this with some concerns but ultimately, I reckoned that WLS was a better gamble than continuing to dig my own grave with a knife and fork.

4 hours ago, Kio said:

@Wayner - congrats on getting your surgery date, and on starting down right track.  I was concerned about how I would cope, too.  But honestly - you're going to be so involved in the program for the first 6 months, it will fly by.  I still can't believe I'm at almost a year out from my surgery - and my life has changed radically for the better!  It's easy before surgery to focus on the scary changes - like, can I really eat so little, can I handle just fluids for however long I have to, can I handle not eating solids for a while, will I be able to follow my program.... but here's the thing.  Unlike every other time you have probably tried to diet, the positive reinforcement of weight loss in the first six months or so will be constant and encouraging.  Your instincts - which up until now have probably been a bit untrustworthy, if you're like most of us - will be to keep doing whatever keeps the weight loss going. And along with the weight loss, your life will begin getting easier and easier long before you ever get to your goal weight.  The pounds come off (kilos?!) but the other thing that comes off is the stress on your body and mind of carrying those extra kilos around all day, every day.  

Does that sound like something you can cope with?  :) 

This is something I'm looking for to, healthier life, being able to do things without worry, buy decent clothes, all this I have never had chance to do, you know what's it like with food, it is your best friend and your worst enemy, this break up is going to be hard.... Do you really lose kilos in a short space of time? 

I lost 55.33kg in my first year (according to google's conversion from 122 lbs!).  That's me as a female, doing no exercise but walking for the first 10 months.  Weight lost per month is greatest in the early months, and if you are male, you will likely lose faster than females.  It comes off fast. The break-up with food is hard before surgery - but surgery itself makes that part easier.  I would just say - take the time between now and surgery to work on your relationship with food.  Try treating it just as fuel, not fun - because after surgery for a while that's what it will be.  The fun part does come back... but by then you'll have tools to help you manage it.  :)

(PS - I was just checking your stats in the sidebar, and I think you may have a typo in your current weight - and possibly the date of your surgery?)

Hi. Thanks, I'll look at that now. 

So what is it like buying normal clothes...lol.. No more Internet shopping? 

1 minute ago, Wayner said:

Ha!  Yeah - for one thing, I can walk long enough to shop now, which I couldn't before!  Honestly, I keep wandering into the wrong sections of stores!

1 hour ago, Wayner said:

(Wayner, my family was recently in Bath, and on the road we took from Bath to get to Heathrow along a ridge, I saw Bristol! So hi! Hope you have continued to get a little bit of rain, the vegetation was suffering.) Now back to the thread topic: I still find myself not really believing that I am my current size when clothes shopping...

In store clothes: I spent 90 minutes recently buying some short sleeve shirts that were on sale at a local store ... I couldn't believe that I was wearing a medium size and I had to try on mediums and larges of everything I chose. The store has three cuts, one trim, one traditional, one roomy, and I kept thinking the large trim cut would be better than the medium... but medium traditional cut fit best every time. I used to buy extra extra large (XXL) at the same store. I never ever ever spend time shopping for clothes. Amazing. The selection, by the way, was much better than I had buying XXL in the past. Another reason to be thankful is that when my nearly 21 year old son (he does not yet understand the concept of sartorial splendor) pops into the house, he'll be able to wear one of my shirts if we are going out to dinner with my inlaws. 

Recent internet experience: I bought some bathing trunks, used to always buy XXL, I  bought large (2 men's sizes down) - but I should have bought a medium. Had I been able to physically try them on, I would have shocked myself by finding this out. Now my family is making comments about my lack of dash. Sigh...

I live very close to that road, so hi.., after the op did you ever feel like you done the right thing? 

1 hour ago, Kio said:

Ha!  Yeah - for one thing, I can walk long enough to shop now, which I couldn't before!  Honestly, I keep wandering into the wrong sections of stores!

I'm looking forward to wearing something fashionable... Not something that is in my size... Did you ever feel like you I have done the wrong thing 

16 minutes ago, Wayner said:

I live very close to that road, so hi.., after the op did you ever feel like you done the right thing? 

I have never regretted it for an instant. I am SOOO much healthier and better off. I found the recovery after the surgery to be uneventful and am only sorry I didn't do it earlier. 

There are some comments here in TTF on buyer's remorse - I do my best to eat and drink as well as I can, and belong to food and wine societies; once in a while I have wished I could eat more of something delicious just for the mouth feel or taste ... but that, of course, is what helped lead to my being obese. I have not felt that way out of real hunger. So, no regret, and once every couple of months I fleetingly think about how nice it would be to order the huge steak special or something similar at a restaurant. That's as much as it gets for me. I still drink excellent wine and have the odd beer every once in a while. I have no problems with carbonation unless it is quite extreme. 

That is nice to hear, I'm feeling a better about things, thanks for your time and telling me your feelings 

6 hours ago, Kio said:

(PS - I was just checking your stats in the sidebar, and I think you may have a typo in your current weight - and possibly the date of your surgery?)

Kio, I think his surgery date is written in dd/mm/yy format ...vs. mm/dd/yy format more common here in the U.S.

4 minutes ago, Boston Redhead said:

Kio, I think his surgery date is written in dd/mm/yy format ...vs. mm/dd/yy format more common here in the U.S.

Ah, that makes sense!  The date thing always throws me.  =D

Just now, Kio said:

Ah, that makes sense!  The date thing always throws me.  =D

Right? Lol

11 minutes ago, Boston Redhead said:

Right? Lol

My start date is the 1st of November 2018. So not long now, got to go on the 2week diet of virtually nothing... Lol

3 minutes ago, Wayner said:

My start date is the 1st of November 2018. So not long now, got to go on the 2week diet of virtually nothing... Lol

Congratulations on the date Wayner. As a non-US person I knew the date format. That day is my 60th birthday.....the first birthday ever that I'll be a "normal" BMIer. I reckon I was born obese looking at the photos!!!! Hopefully all goes well for you on the day as it has for most of us here.

6 minutes ago, Aussie Bear said:

Congratulations on the date Wayner. As a non-US person I knew the date format. That day is my 60th birthday.....the first birthday ever that I'll be a "normal" BMIer. I reckon I was born obese looking at the photos!!!! Hopefully all goes well for you on the day as it has for most of us here.

26 minutes ago, Boston Redhead said:

Thank you, after what I've been reading it's definitely going to be a game changer

2 hours ago, Wayner said:

It was 4 weeks for me. My surgeon was nice though as I'd been on a mostly liquid diet for almost 6 months due to the issues that led to my revision. While his dietician insisted on 4 weeks liquids only, the surgeon said to forget that and just replace two meals a day with liquid meal replacement. I was also given soft foods from the day after my surgery....but my BMI had already dropped to 29.9 by surgery day.