Sign in to follow this  
summerset

Plastic Surgery - any Germans?

So I have finally made up my mind to get plastics. I think the time has come to really (like really) make plans to get it instead of just "considering it for years". The skin won't bounce back any more. Period.

There seem to be quite a few people from Europe on here as well (compared to other boards where there seem to be almost exclusively people from the US and their insurance system is very different from ours) and I don't know a decent German board to ask this. So maybe there are some Germans here?

I realize more and more that the loose skin and loose pads of fat especially on belly and inner thighs are bothering me to no end. Also my boobs don't look like boobs anymore. My inner upper arms jiggle. I admit on this boards it's about appearance a good deal, though the skin is also bothering me when bike riding or running etc. as well (ever stuffed the fat and skin into bike shorts so it's a tight fit?? the jiggling while running??). I used to think: "Well, maybe you need to lose more weight so that fat goes away!" but what happened was that the slabs stayed in place and I got that disproportioned look - slabs of skin and fat on the lower belly, hanging over the pelvis bones while being able to see prominent clavicles and some ribs above my former-boobs and the definition of the muscles in my forearm, the form of biceps and deltoids and on my neck and lower legs when flexing them where the skin still looks normal.

And last but definitely (like definitely!) not least: the chances of maintenance are way higher after plastics. (I'm thinking about upper and lower body lifts.)

I guess I might be one of those who have to pay out of pocket. I could do it if there isn't any other possibility but it's still a lot of money and I'm afraid of complications that need to be covered financially as well. So are there any Germans on here who had surgery covered by insurance, paid out of pocket or that had the procedures abroad? Any tips? Recommendations? Or maybe you know a decent German board? 

I have no idea if @Carina can help but she lives in Europe and might have an idea? Perhaps she provide some insight given that she uses the European health system. Good luck! 

Heyhey @NerdyToothpick and @summerset! No, not in Germany but maybe a general remark would be helpful: you'll probably get closer to insurance coverage if you can document any (physical) problems you have that are caused by the extra skin. For example: back pain and/or skin infections because of a pannus. Or problems with blood circulation, like if the skin doesn't look healthy somehow. Check with your family doctor; he/she will know the best way to proceed.

Good luck!

2 minutes ago, Carina said:

Heyhey @NerdyToothpick and @summerset! No, not in Germany but maybe a general remark would be helpful: you'll probably get closer to insurance coverage if you can document any (physical) problems you have that are caused by the extra skin. For example: back pain and/or skin infections because of a pannus. Or problems with blood circulation, like if the skin doesn't look healthy somehow. Check with your family doctor; he/she will know the best way to proceed.

Good luck!

My thought too - any yeast infections under the excess skin, some irritations when exercising that lead to the need to see your doctor, etc. should lead to it being covered by insurance. Best of luck!

Not German (though of German heritage does that count lol) but I just wanted to share how much better I felt after plastics.  Yes, it looks better but man did it change my confidence, my self esteem, and the feeling that I was actually "normal" instead of a "Formerly Fat" person.  So... wishing you the best as you figure out how to make it happen!

Thank you for all your answers. :)

I don't really have any permanent problems. I might have some minor sores after bike riding in the typical places for this (though from what I've seen and heard no more than the average biker can have).

The only problems I have are sometimes sore rubs on the inner thighs (if the pants are not really up high in the crotch so the skin can rub together) and sometimes I have problems with the navel - that's it.

Carina & BurgundyBoy: dunno, if I can convince the doctors that work for the insurance companies of anything of this. I have to go to the annual check up at the WLS center anyway. I guess I'll ask about the whole procedure and all the tips and tricks if there are any. In Germany getting WLS and plastics covered is like playing and winning the lottery. Sometimes it seems completely random. :mellow: 

Insurances companies and the doctors working for them are a real pest (sorry to say so, my dear colleagues - but that's what I came to think about you when it comes to WLS and anything related like plastics following WLS).

1 hour ago, msmarymac said:

Yes, it looks better but man did it change my confidence, my self esteem, and the feeling that I was actually "normal" instead of a "Formerly Fat" person. 

Yeah, I know that I won't have the looks of a 20 year old fitness model but I hope I can feel "normal" then. That squishy feeling when the skin gets compressed... :ph34r: and the jiggling downright hurts when jumping around. :blink:

So... wishing you the best as you figure out how to make it happen!

Thank you. Luckily self-paying and suing later to get the money back would be an option for me (assuming that our financial situation stays the same). Suing might be futile but at least the plastics were done then. I can't imagine how it must feel when you sue your insurance company, have to fight for 3 years or so and then don't get covered!