Sign in to follow this  
Charles' Princess

I'm new here and could use a Buddy.

I haven't had the surgery and have done a lot of research but I don't know if it is for me.  In the meantime, I am on a structured diet plan, and could use a buddy.  I'm finding myself with some emotional issues now that I am not using food for emotional reasons, plus, I don't have anyone for support, so thought I'd come here.  

Welcome, Princess!!! I think that you have come to the right place for support. Certainly WLS is not for everyone.

I have not been here as much as I normally am lately because I have many irons in the fire keeping me very, very busy. But, I will be more than glad to support you on your journey when I am able to be online. You will find many others here that will support you as well.

Feel free to post any questions, concerns or problems that you are having here. Don't forget to include the good things that you experience as well ;)

Welcome to Thinner Times Princess - you're in the right place for support.

I joined this forum the day my surgeon suggested doing a gastric bypass the day I saw him about an umbilical hernia because if I didn't lose weight and keep it off, slapping a patch on the hernia wasn't likely to a permanent success.  Other than when I've been in hospital, I haven't missed one day of coming here and that was over 11 years ago.

Were it not for the support of our members (those who walked-the-walk before me, went through surgery at the same time and those who followed), I would not be where I am today.  

Cinwa... I have had some hernia surgeries, and the hernias were "fat" that had pushed through, they meshed them in, but I am worried that if I lose fat, that those might somehow be lost, too... causing me to have to have surgery again.  Do you know anything about that?   It's just something that does bother me and concerns me.

Thank you for the welcome, both of you.  I appreciate it.

The mesh that was placed over the umbilical hernia when I had my RNY was removed 7 years after it was put in at the same time as my RNY.  I had lost my excess weight and it was rucked up and causing me discomfort.  But they found a ventral hernia (bulge of tissues through an opening of weakness within your abdominal wall muscles) so put a mesh on that.

I also had bilateral femoral hernias (bulges near the groin) repaired with mesh back in 2010.

Being overweight increases the strain and pressure on your abdominal muscles and makes them weaker and more prone to developing a hernia but as we lose weight and are more active, the the hernia often slips back in place and causes no issue.  If they don't, you'll often feel a soft, squishy bulge - sometimes painful when coughing, bending, or lifting.  That was the case with my femoral hernias.