Sign in to follow this  
Ro_Bro

Home Alone

Hi folks,

My question/concern is this...I live alone. It sounds like my doctor sends people home on day two. I am having Rouen Y bypass because of bad GERD.

Will I be able to fend for myself afterwards? I have comorbidities and a VERY low pain tolerance. Just generally a big baby. Lol

I went home alone on day 3 with no problems at all. That said I was very organised before surgery and had all my purees pre-made, portioned and in the freezer. I did still used narcotic pain meds for a couple of weeks, but only as directed, so no issues there. To be honest I was happier to be home by myself than I would have been if I had others around me. I could stay in my pjs all day if I wanted, and sleep whenever I felt like it, with no-one judging me or asking mundane questions about how I was feeling.

I could easily have handled it by myself.  The only drawback is you can’t drive till you are off pain meds.  I went home on day two.  I went in to world to do paperwork on day 6.  I was back to work full time on day 9.  But everyone is different...

23 hours ago, Ro_Bro said:

Hi folks,

My question/concern is this...I live alone. It sounds like my doctor sends people home on day two. I am having Rouen Y bypass because of bad GERD.

Will I be able to fend for myself afterwards? I have comorbidities and a VERY low pain tolerance. Just generally a big baby. Lol

Do you have someone to pick you up from the hospital?

I might have to take an Uber home from the hospital. Wonder if they’ll allow that.

42 minutes ago, Boston Redhead said:

I might have to take an Uber home from the hospital. Wonder if they’ll allow that.

You may want to check with your Dr/hospital ahead of time. I read a post at some point in time about a person that had a dilemma because their hospital would not discharge them unless they had a person that would sign responsibilty for the person for the first 24 hours. Maybe because of the pain meds. Not sure. Better to be prepared.

I think that person ended up using Uber but, arranged things with the driver ahead of time to sign him out. If you were just a little closer to the Upstate of SC, I would gladly give you a ride home.

I have seen many people talk about not having friends or family near to help with these things. Seems like the hospitals could come up with a solution for them by now.

17 hours ago, Boston Redhead said:

I can have a friend pick me up and take me home.

They have to make sure you're able to get up on your own, walk a bit, pee, can hold down liquids, and are relatively pain controlled before you go home. That's all you're gonna do the first few days at home anyway!