getting excited! going to my pre-op today.  any suggestions on what to pack in my overnight bag when I have surgery?

A robe, slippers, reading material, a charger for your cell phone, chap stick, and toothbrush/toothpaste. 

@Res Ipsa's list is pretty much my list, but I'd add earplugs (hospitals are noisy)! And possibly a small pillow to put between you and the seatbelt on the way home. Wear comfortable clothes (like sweatpants).

It depends on how long you'll be in the hospital and what the hospital provides. I could have just gotten away with bringing something comfy to wear home (soft elastic waist!), a pillow for the ride home, a robe, and my phone and charger. I was only in the hospital one day, though. 

Definitely sweats to wear home....nothing tight or that zippers/buttons bc you’ll have incisions on your waist.  A pillow for the car ride helps.  I took pjs but had my IVs in for so long I couldn’t change out of the hospital gown (and frankly i didn’t care...i didn’t have any visitors - by choice - so i didn’t care what i looked like).  I took Biotine (or Biotene?) for dry mouth bc I had been on a liquid diet and was basically in ketosis and my mouth was already driving me crazy being dry and nasty and i know I would be.  NPO for the day of the surgery.  I took stuff but never ended up showering there to doing much makeup/hair etc.  

it’s so exciting....you’re going to be amazed at how much Aug 23 will change your life forever!!! 

Wear loose clothing. Bring Chapstick. A neck pillow for the hospital bed is good and a good pillow to hold against your stomach/chest for the ride home.