Tina1965

Experiences, please, immediately post-op

I am scheduled for surgery on Monday, August 13th.  I have read a lot of great info on this site and am so grateful for everyone’s insights.  I’m just wondering about the first day in the hospital.  I have to be there at 6:30 am for surgery, which I’m guessing will actually happen around 8:30 or 10.  I was wondering what the rest of the day will be like.  I know everyone is different, but I’d appreciate hearing about your experiences.  I’ve read that you are not allowed to drink the first day after surgery.  This is going to kill me as I drink a TON of water!  What did you feel like when you first woke up?  How long after you woke up until you were walking?  How long did you spend in the hospital?  They are telling me one night, possibly two.  My body doesn’t react to opioids, so I’m kind of worried about how they will manage my pain.  About how long will it be before I’m able to drive?  I’m only taking a week off work, so I’m hoping it’s soon after surgery.  I appreciate all your help!!

I was super out of it for most of the first day post-op (my surgery was about the timeline you listed above). The no water thing was horrible. It was honestly the worst part for me, but I slept so much, it went somewhat quickly. The pain was bad, but not unbearable (I’d liken it to the transition stage of childbirth if you’ve given birth without pain meds) and my doctor had a very specific schedule for pain meds so some times were harder than others. Honestly though, it passed quickly. I even slept on my stomach that night. By the next morning after surgery, I was pretty much fine and the pain I had was easily manageable with little pain meds. At that point, for me, the “pain” felt like the aftermath of an intense ab workout. In hindsight, recent workouts have left more in discomfort longer than WLS did. I was walking laps early and was discharged by noon. I didn't even need the Tylenol with codeine they prescribed by a couple days post-op. In regards to your aversion to opioids, definitely talk to your doctor about that and express your concerns. I’d imagine that there’s alternative. Just my experience, hope it helps. 

Edited by athenarose

Not drinking was rough for me, but it sounds like it depends on the program whether you can or can’t. I couldn’t consume anything for two days! :( I had chapstick and mouth moisture swabs to get me through but that was not super fun. I slept a lot. I thought I’d read and watch movies and stuff but I was pretty out of it. No serious pain, though, just discomfort. 

Walked a bit, slept, complained about not being allowed to drink, slept, walked, repeat. Fantasized about being skinny. 

I had to do a leak test before I was released, which was interesting to watch on X-ray, then when I was cleared, had a big cup of broth and some apple juice and herbal tea and was released. 

Spent the next week hanging around in a hotel room, reading everything on the internet about WLS that I could find, watching YouTube WLS videos, and walking and sipping. I was really weak and tired, but not in pain. I didn’t have anything stronger than Tylenol after I was released from the hospital. 

Seems like a million years ago!!! And also like yesterday.

Edited by Jen581791

We were actually required to drink (sip) after surgery. YMMV

Pain: acetaminophen/paracetamol

One night in the hospital

Drove after a few days, if I remember correctly

Not to scare you but I awoke from surgery screaming in pain! My own voice is what woke me I think. The hospital gave me delawden? Misspelled?? When at home I used liquid Vicodin. After a week I ran out and was switched to liquid Tylenol. 

Honestly that week went fast and then it got much easier. Lots of broth, hot tea and Popsicles for me. I had no problem with puréed meats. After three weeks I returned to work with no restrictions and began long distance waking. I've only been post op four months. Good luck to you Monday this surgery will be your life saver!!!

I had a 7 am arrival and surgery started about 8.30 and lasted about 4 hours...... Mine was a complicated revision hence the longer duration. I came to hooked up to a morphine pump so could control my own pain, and had a catheter so no needing to get up to pee.  I was very out of it most of the first day. I had a jug of water and was able to drink whenever I wanted, I had no difficulty doing that. Catheter was removed the next morning after monitoring fluids in and out. First food (yoghurt or custard from memory) came the next morning but I was too nauseous to even contemplate eating it. I was very out of it for about 24 has. I could have gone home after two nights but my surgeon's policy on revisions was 3-4 nights so I stayed 3. Stayed in the city 2 more nights then drove myself home (a 4 hr trip) on day 5. I was released from hospital with enough narcotic pain meds for three days, after that just used paracetamol. I live alone and managed fine but I had pre-cooked many pureed meals which was what my program allowed. All food restrictions were lifted at two weeks.

Everyone is so different so don’t expect the exact same thing.  I didn’t read any negative things before hand about post op bc i wanted to experience it w/o fear :) . Like you,, i  drink all day long, before and after surgery so i was not thrilled about being NPO for so long.  However, i complained about it and they brought me ice chips after surgery (I wasn’t at all hungry but I was dying of thirst) and that helped a LOT so ask if you can have them. It isn’t pain free, but no surgery is, i was hooked to a morphine drip and i could hit it every 6 mins (I am sure i hit it whenever, but it only worked every 6 mins).  The best part is you sleep a lot!  So you won’t remember a lot!  I couldn’t drive until after my 2 wk check up but everyone and every dr is different so you can ask yours.  I took 5 wks off.  I could’ve gone back a little sooner but i was approved for 5 wks so i took them all!

good luck with it Monday, and really ANY discomfort is worth it.....you will see.  When months from now you’re on the other side and soooo much smaller you won’t regret it you will only regret you didn’t do it sooner

Edited by CheeringCJ

On ‎8‎/‎9‎/‎2018 at 10:10 AM, Tina1965 said:

I am scheduled for surgery on Monday, August 13th.  I have read a lot of great info on this site and am so grateful for everyone’s insights.  I’m just wondering about the first day in the hospital.  I have to be there at 6:30 am for surgery, which I’m guessing will actually happen around 8:30 or 10.  I was wondering what the rest of the day will be like.  I know everyone is different, but I’d appreciate hearing about your experiences.  I’ve read that you are not allowed to drink the first day after surgery.  This is going to kill me as I drink a TON of water!  What did you feel like when you first woke up?  How long after you woke up until you were walking?  How long did you spend in the hospital?  They are telling me one night, possibly two.  My body doesn’t react to opioids, so I’m kind of worried about how they will manage my pain.  About how long will it be before I’m able to drive?  I’m only taking a week off work, so I’m hoping it’s soon after surgery.  I appreciate all your help!!

Welcome Tina!  Surgery day wasn't that bad, honestly.  If you have a CPAP for sleep apnea though....be sure to bring it with you!  My arrival time was the same as yours.  My surgery was done by 11:00am.  I was stuck in recovery until 5:00pm because I had sleep apnea and my oxygen levels were really jacked up due to the anesthesia (I did not have a CPAP machine).  Basically that meant I kept falling asleep off and on all day, then hearing the beep when my oxygen got too low.  Finally they "borrowed" a CPAP from someone (LOL), and my oxygen got high enough to release me to my room.  I was allowed to drink right away (gastric sleeve).  I felt fine when I first woke up - that pleasant surprise that it was over with already.  Gotta love that :)  I walked the first night up and down the hallway with a nurse.  I walked on my own, nurse was just observing I guess.  I spent one night in the hospital and was released before Noon the next day.  I was off work for 2 weeks, but to be honest I felt like I could have returned to work after one week.  I was able to drive after I was off the narcotics/opioids.  I only used the narcotics for 2 days because I can't stand how they make me feel.  I was tired for sure.  Get plenty of rest and follow your plan is my best advice.  We will be happy to welcome you to the Loser's Bench on Monday! :)

Edited by TammyP
add

Oh and *high fives to the Morphine drip recipients*  Use that as often as you need to.  AKA - before you try to move out of your hospital bed to go to the potty.

I went in in the morning, my surgery apparently took about 45 minutes (including a hiatal hernia repair), I was in the recovery "room," asleep, for a bit, then they took me up to a room where I had a button to push for morphine (high five, @TammyP!). So that was fun. I was in some pain, but mostly I slept and got up to pee and walk around the floor a little to walk out the gas pain. I went home the next day, took pain meds for one more day at home (percocet) and then was off pain meds. I went and did some work at my mom's house about four days post-op. My sister had died two weeks before my surgery and there was a lot to do. I didn't lift anything, though. It was mostly making decisions. I was back at work part-time a week after surgery, full-time two weeks after. 

Oh, I had to sip water and protein/vitamin shakes in the hospital. They gave them to me in cute little medicine cups and sent me home with a bunch of the cups for the first week post-op. :) 

Edited because I partially lied. I think there were a few hours post-op where I wasn't allowed to drink. I'd have to check the little book to know how long that was, but I remember because I got these little swab things with lemon flavored stuff on them to help my mouth from feeling dry. 

Edited by Cardamom77

Thank you all so much for sharing your experiences!  My surgery was actually postponed due to dangerously high potassium levels.  I am scheduled for it tomorrow morning.  Now my brother is on the warpath, very angry with me because I am still going to have the surgery.  He is saying that all I need is willpower to control what goes in my mouth and that I'm taking a chance on my life to avoid doing what I know I should be doing in the first place.  I have a hearing problem and bad vision - totally unrelated to diabetes, which I also have.  So I have him yelling at me about how I can't see and can't hear and my diabetes is bad (it is NOT out of control).  And he says it's all just because I am not strong willed enough.  It's really hard to keep my resolve in the face of this, but I am doing my best.  He and his girlfriend have me rattled, I cannot lie.  They are telling me the surgery has been postponed due to God's will and He's trying to protect me.  I've tried to explain that I have 150 pounds to lose and can't do that by myself, but they don't listen.  I'm afraid this is going to cause a permanent fracture in my family.  I moved to Memphis to be near my brother and his son and neither of them wants me to have the surgery.  I'm all alone on this down here.  Worst thing is, I have to depend on my brother for a ride home from the hospital because I don't know anyone else in Memphis.  Ugh.  I'm still going ahead with the WLS.  It's like that old saying from AA...if nothing changes, then nothing changes. 

Again, any comments would be most welcome!

I'm so sorry your brother is being an @*#.  Hopefully it comes from a place of love and concern.  Just get through this and focus on your triumph when he sees the new healthy you a year from now.  Close your eyes right now, take a deep breath and blow it out, now another.  Picture you doing something that brings you joy, maybe something you haven't been able to do in awhile.  Picture you healthy.  Imagine your diabetes in complete remission. Imagine your brother saying to you, "YOU WERE RIGHT".  Oh, the sweet triumph :) .  Hey, he may never say that but it's your imagination so picture what makes you happy lol.

Best to you as you start the journey to a new gloriously healthy life!

You will do fine.  I was allowed chips the first day.  My daughter just had RNY in June and was given water the first day. Keep in mind you won’t be drinking more than an ounce or two at a time.  My diabetes was not under control.  By day 5, I was off all diabetes meds.  This surgery helps to get you to where you need to be, it’s up to you to stay there.  

I was driving on day 6.  You can drive as soon as you aren’t taking pain meds.  

They want you up and moving as soon as possible. More than likely you will have these things on your legs that massage them to keep you from getting blood clots.  Next year at this time you will be glad you had surgery.  

Hi, @Tina1965 - just wanted to do a drive-by and say that I blogged my whole RNY experience day by day for the first month.  You can start here, if you think it will be helpful: 

Your brother is wrong.  Willpower isn't what you lack.  What you lack is the ability to fight something that doesn't care about your willpower - your body's survival instinct.  We all lack that, and surgery gives us the ability to dial back the choices our bodies make for us - the ones that keep us fat because fat = stored fuel = safety.  You can't will your metabolism to speed up, and you can't will your hunger away.  Don't listen to your brother; he's not a doctor, and he's not helping.  Listen to yourself - you know this is the right choice for your health.  We're here pulling for you!  Best of luck!