DocEJG

plateau of weight loss 6 weeks post op

Hi, I had a vertical sleeve gastrectomy on June 25th. Initially I lost about 30# in the first few weeks but I am now not losing anymore weight even though I am taking in less than 1,200 calories a day. The surgeons nurse pratitioner and the nutritionest told me I was not drinking enough water and not eating enough protein. I am going to start a food log. Does anyone have any experience with this issue ?  

Thank You, Ed

Ed,

A weight loss stall in the first two months after surgery is very normal.  Just stick to the diet plan, drink lots of liquids (to keep you hydrated and to flush away the byproducts of your weight loss), take your vitamins and minerals, eat lots of lean protein, and lead an active lifestyle.  The weight loss will come, and in a few months you will forget all about this weight loss stall.

We are here to support you.   

Geoff

Hi Geoff, Thank you very much....I like your name of Res Ipsa.....been there done that !

Ed

I agree with Res - just make sure you’re hitting your fluid and protein goals, and your body will do the rest. If you’re not using a system to log that stuff, My Fitness Pal is a good free app with a robust database so you don’t have to input data yourself. 

Stalls seem scary and foreboding in the beginning, sine they closely resemble weight loss failures we’ve all experienced in the past, but you’ll gain confidence as you make progress. The stalls come and go, but the general downward trend is what you should focus on. You can track that with MFP, too ;) 

Thanks Jen, I need to get an app to track my intake....yesterday I had a major hypoglycemic episode, fortunately I was with my girlfriend, who is an RN, and she gave me fruit juice and chocolate milk. I got kind of sweaty a few minutes ago too. My weight loss did restart and as of today I am down about 37# since June 25. 

6 hours ago, DocEJG said:

Thanks Jen, I need to get an app to track my intake....yesterday I had a major hypoglycemic episode, fortunately I was with my girlfriend, who is an RN, and she gave me fruit juice and chocolate milk. I got kind of sweaty a few minutes ago too. My weight loss did restart and as of today I am down about 37# since June 25. 

Scary! Glad you were with someone who could help. 

Tracking might help you pinpoint things that lead to episodes, as well as just helping you learn how to improve your eating. 

Great to hear the stall has ended :) 

Thank you......I think I need to start tracking my protein intake, I will call the dietician at the surgeons office. I am probably not getting enough protein to keep my blood sugar stable. I have lost 10% of my initial weight. This is the most weight I have ever lost so I guess it comes with some manageable side effects.