Sign in to follow this  
Cardamom77

Dangit!

I ate an orange. That was apparently a bad idea. I NEVER have dumping syndrome, but now I feel like hot garbage. From an ORANGE! 

:(

I’m sorry! I hope it passes soon. Isn’t it crazy the random things that our bodies decide to react to?

30 minutes ago, athenarose said:

I’m sorry! I hope it passes soon. Isn’t it crazy the random things that our bodies decide to react to?

It is so crazy! That's the last time I try something new during a work day. I had to go home and do online trainings. Ha! 

I wonder what it was about an orange that would cause you to dump.  Have you eaten fresh oranges or other fruit before?

1 small (2-3/8" dia) (96 g)

Calories 45

Total Fat 0.1 g

Potassium 174 mg

Total Carbohydrate 11 g

Dietary fiber 2.3 

Sugar 9 g

Protein 0.9 g

I’ve had a little gurgliness with apples, cherries, and peaches. I can eat berries fine as long as I don’t overdo it. But I hadn’t really tried anything else and definitely hadn’t tried any fresh citrus yet. I have no idea what it was. And it could be temporary. I had an issue with coconut milk early on that isn’t a problem anymore. 

I honestly wonder if it was a shock to your system, sugar wise. I’m just thinking that orange juice is what they give to diabetics to quickly get their blood sugar up quickly, right? So maybe there was too much sugar for your system to take in at once and it triggered the dumping. Just my non-professional medical guess....

Yeah, I’ve had sugary stuff before, BUT it’s always been along with some protein (low sugar yogurt with berries, lower cal ice cream, apple slices with peanut butter, etc.). So I’m wondering if it wasn’t the fact that it was pretty much all sugar and fiber and not much else. 

Edited by Cardamom77

You've got me stumped Cardamom.  I've known WLS people who react to fruit juice but not to eating fresh fruit (in small amounts).  

Welllllll..... I'm having some intestinal distress today so maybe it was timing and I have a stomach virus. Haha! 

17 minutes ago, Cardamom77 said:

Welllllll..... I'm having some intestinal distress today so maybe it was timing and I have a stomach virus. Haha! 

That makes more sense.  But, I'd still probably try fruit at home next time just to be sure lol.  Usually the fiber in fresh fruit slows down the rapid affect of the fructose enough to prevent dumping (as opposed to juice), plus you can slug down a whole lotta fructose in a hurry with juice but fruit requires chewing so you get smaller bits of fructose introduced at a time.  It would really suck to dump on lovely fruit!

8 hours ago, cinwa said:

You've got me stumped Cardamom.  I've known WLS people who react to fruit juice but not to eating fresh fruit (in small amounts).  

I was fascinated reading this thread as I had my first visit with an endocrinologist for reactive hypoglycemia on Monday (I'll discuss it later when I finally get back home). The first thing he asked regarding fruit tolerance was whether I could handle oranges. I couldn't answer because I haven't had any since surgery....but it did stick in my mind that he was very specific about oranges, and this was really the only fruit he asked about but I had already told him I eat banana to bring sugars up.

Edited by Aussie Bear

1 minute ago, Aussie Bear said:

I was fascinated reading this thread as I had my first visit with an endocrinologist for reactive hypoglycemia on Monday (I'll discuss it later when I finally get back home). The first thing he asked regarding fruit tolerance was whether I could handle oranges. I couldn't answer because I haven't had any since surgery....but it did stick in my mind that he was very specific about oranges.

Interesting! Well, we'll see. I'm going to give it a week or so and then try to eat one again and see how it goes. 

FOR SCIENCE!

I have given up on understanding my stomach..  I eat apples almost everyday.  I can’t handle unsweetened applesauce.  It gives me the “I want to curl up and die syndrome”.