MayaGallifreya

Exactly how much should I be eating?!

Hi, I'm due to start puree in a couple of days after being on liquids for 2 weeks.

I've really struggled to get all my protein in as I'm having a real aversion to shakes.
I feel like I'm failing already!

As far as puree is concerned, can anybody tell me what size portions I should be eating? also how often I should be eating it?
I'm really concerned about stretching my pouch! :(

Thanks xo

The recommendation I got from my dr was never more than 4 oz, but don’t be surprised if you can’t actually eat 4 oz yet. Sometimes two bites was all I could handle at first. Just make sure nothing is too thick. I watered down everything at first. Like don’t open a can of refried beans, and try to eat it. Put it in the blender (or ninja which i used constantly at that stage) and put a little water or plain Greek yogurt into it and blend it smooth.  I ended up mostly resorting back to having protein shakes to get my proteins in. I didn’t get much nutrition from the new foods, I used the shakes for that and then used the new foods for taste testing and getting used to new textures. Go easy!

Gosh, at the point you’re currently at, I couldn’t even eat 2 ounces at a time and it was closer to one ounce to be honest. I wouldn’t worry about stretching your pouch. Just eat very slowly (some people use spoons intended for infants) and stop at the first sign of discomfort. As far as how often, check with your surgeon’s specific plan. I was instructed only to eat 3 times a day and for it not to go over 30 minutes at a time, but your plan might be different.

If you don't like the shakes then you might want to try protein water (Amazon and Costco carry it). Currently I drink Ready Nutrition Protein Water with 70 cal, 0g sugar, 1g carb and 15g protein.  Comes in a variety of flavors (Black Cherry, Mango, Blueberry, etc).  2 oz was all I could handle at 2 weeks out and it had to be pureed so unsweetened applesauce and higher protein/lower carb greek yogurt was a lot of what I ate. 

1 1/2 ounces was my limit.  I did mainly Greek yogurt.  Skip things that are carbs like mashed potatoes.  There’s no nutrition in them.