20 days till my surgery!!! whoo hoo. the days can't get here fast enough. very excited. ready to start this journey. only set back in my mind.... hair loss. I already have thin and fragile hair. 

so give it to me straight! What has been your experience???

I was more afraid of the hair loss than the loose skin!  I have fragile, thin hair also and I go through cycles (presurge) of thin breakfast by nails and hair loss followed by normal hair and nails and back. My experience was at the end of month two I started losing hair and felt panic. By month three it  was in full swing and I was so careful with it (wouldn’t rub it with a towel or wrap it up, combed thru it in the shower with a wide tooth comb with conditioner on so there were no tangles to comb thru afterwards etc) plus from day one I took my vitamins, biotin, iron and got over 80 grams of protein in to avoid hair loss as much as possible. 

Then I read here where someone and their mom used Collagen powder mixed in with their drinks and I started using it. Plus I got my hair cut short. Plus I was coming out of the worst of the hair loss phase and my hair is fine (was by month six). 

So you may not have as much problems as you think. Of course everyone is different but I do suggest you take the nutrition part into consideration and then roll with it. Most likely you will lose hair but most likely you won’t be bald! ;)

besides it is just a little annoyance compare to the awesome weight loss you will experience! 

I was like you, super excited about my surgery coming up, and I haven’t regretted it for a single second!!!

This is what I use still. I have it twice a day, a rounded tablespoon in my hot tea. It took a little to get used to bc it changes the taste a bit but I barely notice it now. You can put it in a protein shake and probably hide it easier but my protein powder has 30 gym of protein in it and I don’t want to tax my kidneys or something by adding more to it. But I’m a believer in this stuff!!!  

294583B3-D84B-4221-A5F4-759B499AE46A.png

Edited by CheeringCJ

I didn't lose much in the way of hair that I noticed although I pretty much went grey overnight and my hair went from thick and strong to fine and curly.  But I was in my 50's so it came as no surprise.

thanks for sharing ladies.. :P

I am pretty vain about my thick, shiny hair. It grows super fast and I color it to cover my greys. 

I heard or read somewhere that protein was the key to not losing hair?

Theories anyone?

9 hours ago, Ro_Bro said:

I am pretty vain about my thick, shiny hair. It grows super fast and I color it to cover my greys. 

I heard or read somewhere that protein was the key to not losing hair?

Theories anyone?

I continued to colour my hair for a while straight out of surgery with zero effect.  I was fortunate not to have much of any hair loss although the texture changed from thick and pretty much straight to fine and curly and I pretty much went grey overnight so I had it cut off to a pixie cut.

My personal experience has been not so great. Around month 3 i started losing my hair. i have baby fine thin hair to begin with. I am now going on 7 months out and still losing hair. Its slowed down a little bit since getting it cut short. My case is probably a bit more on the extreme side but i have also dealt with malnutrition and complications so i think that has played a role in my hair loss

I'm almost 5 months out and have not had any hair loss. I have been taking biotine. 

@never2late, just to reinforce @ktallon's experience - in medical studies, probably the single biggest determinant of hair loss (or retention) is the amount of protein you eat. Hair is almost pure protein; if you are losing hair, to some extent your body is "saying" that it is jettisoning making hair in favor of other uses for the protein you eat - like maintaining your muscles while your fat is disappearing. As @Anita62 mentions, biotine and other vitamins/minerals are also important. If your surgeons are saying you need 60 or more grams a day of protein, that may be true for a good surgical outcome; but you may need more protein (90-100 grams a day) to have the lowest chance of losing hair. Ktallon has, poor soul, had issues/complications that have reduced her ability to take protein in. 

I lost no hair after surgery, but then I am nearly bald. :ph34r: Just mentioning the scientific data, not my personal experience. 

Edited by BurgundyBoy

It's worth mentioning that hair loss after any surgery isn't uncommon.  Telogen Effluvium

1 hour ago, cinwa said:

It's worth mentioning that hair loss after any surgery isn't uncommon.  Telogen Effluvium

Yes, this!  Most hair loss post WLS is due to the shock to your system of major surgery.  Hair regrowth absolutely is influenced by protein and biotin but those will not stop hair loss if you are experiencing Telogen Effluvium. 

I had a very difficult hysterectomy in 2006 and never had any hair loss.

But when I realized I was beginning menopause I became concerned because my hair was coming out in handfuls!

I estimate I lost 30% of my hair.

BUT, it has since grown almost all back in, so hopefully my little hair follices won't be too shocked and I can get enough good stuff in my pouch!

i've had a few surgeries in my life and never lost hair but I continued with my regular diet ( which was my lifestyle prior) my hair is so fragile and thin that I'm not sure what I could do if it were to go or what if the texture changed.... eeek!!! when I booked my surgery in back in may I ramped up on a bunch of vitamins: B12, multi vitamin, Biotin... up until the day of surgery. But now I'm not on any cause my doctor doesn't recommend supplements until around the 3rd week post op. ( little nervous ).

Of course not every surgery stresses you physically enough to cause this and not everyone experiences it.  Likewise it's not just physical stress that can trigger it.  I first experienced it in the late 1990's in a period of extreme emotional stress.  Actually experienced bald spots.  I am fortunate to have extremely thick hair and I was able to disguise the bald areas but I know it is devastating to those who start with thin hair. 

Because I have such thick hair I had kept it very short for years (the busy child-rearing years) and then never could get it grown out because it would get so hot during summer I would get impatient and chop it off.  So, when I started shedding hair after WLS I decided to see if I could get it grown out enough to get it off my neck before the next summer came around and long story short, I now have long hair for the first time since the late 1990's :)  Makes me feel like a kid again.  Well that and weighing 120 pounds less lol.

Bottom line is, it's just hair and it will grow back.  Some here have cut it short to deal with the loss, others have worn wigs or scarves.  But, everyone has rocked their newfound confident bodies whatever their hair was doing and you will too!

3 hours ago, msmarymac said:

Bottom line is, it's just hair and it will grow back.  Some here have cut it short to deal with the loss, others have worn wigs or scarves.  But, everyone has rocked their newfound confident bodies whatever their hair was doing and you will too!

^^^^ THIS! Very well said @msmarymac

I'm 4.5 years post op and still losing hair. It's becoming noticeable. The hair loss has been devastating for me. I often wish I didn't have the surgery. I don't understand why it hasn't stopped and why it's not growing back. I've done the protein and vitamins blah blah but nothing has worked. No one on this forum has reported hair loss this long. I honestly want to die. If u can lose the weight on your own then do it. I wish I could go back. 

I'm in the hair loss phase for sure. Lots of hair loss in every shower for the last several weeks, and my ponytail feels thinner now than it used to be. Three thoughts that are helping me:

1) Everyone said I'd lose hair, and everyone said it would come back. Okay. Worth it. 

2) The only thing I can do to help is protein and biotin. Okay, doing that. 

3) This happened to me 10 years ago when my dad died. Super scary the first time, but everyone said it would grow back and it did. So I'm confident it will grow back again.  

And for me personally, even if it doesn't grow back, and even though my hair has always been one of my favorite things about my appearance, it's still worth it for me to actually have a healthy body to live in the rest of my life. 

@Bald eagle 1996, I'm so sorry you are having such a hard time with your hair. When I lost the hair the first time, the doctors checked on my thyroid as that can cause hair loss. Are you under a doctor's care? I so hope this gets better for you. :wub:

I’m already feeling like my hair is getting thinner and I’m pre op!  I’m really worried about hair loss too. I guess everyone is different. Seems like all you can do is get adequate nutrition and hope for the best. ( I’m attributing my hair loss to menopause,  not sure how much worse it can get )

Edited by MeadowBlue