BikerChick

I failed again - Revision

Good day!

I'm a 50 year young professional, ride a Triumph America, love traveling with my husband, have three young adult sons and am basically a goof ball! :)  I'm also a dog person!   Dying to get a pup!

I had my original lap-band in 2006, revision in 2015.  I started out at 234 and currently weight 210.   Talk about failure - me that is, not the sleeve.   The sleeve is the tool and I am in the drivers seat.  I know that, but still cannot lose the weight. I can eat just about anything, hardly ever feel restriction.  I've gone through periods of exercise, pushing too hard, and hurting myself, then recovering, then exercising again, etc...…….  well, you get it.  I don't eat poorly, but I don't eat perfectly.  I do honestly feel that I've let myself and my family down.  I'm absolutely embarrassed and mortified to go back to my doctor.  I haven't seen him in a year.   I'm trying the pouch reset again, and we'll see what happens.   The lowest I got down to was 173#, but i was also in the hospital with a lung infection and in ICU for two weeks, so....    The lowest I got down to exercising and watching my food was 184, then my primary doctor decided I needed hormone therapy and I gained all that weight back!   I was ticked off then, so stopped the hormones and still cannot get the weight off.  I don't have any real medical issues.   My BP is a bit high on the diastolic, but other than that, just basic older person aches and pains.  

Well that's me!

Maybe someone has some suggestions for me?   If not, that's ok too.   

Health and happiness to all!

What is important is not where you have been, but where you are going.

You can still be healthy, thin and more active, but you need to follow your diet plan. We are here to support you. :)

Just now, Res Ipsa said:

What is important is not where you have been, but where you are going.

You can still be healthy, thin and more active, but you need to follow your diet plan. We are here to support you. :)

Yes...what @Res Ipsa said!!

You still have your tool, and it still works :) Commit to changing your habits and losing the weight! Don't count on restriction to guide your eating. Weigh/measure everything. Get at least 64 ounces of water every day. Take your supplements. You can do this!! Come here often for support and guidance ❤️ 

Edited by Nana Trish

Time to get back to early post-op basics.  Lean protein first then veggies.  Hit those protein and water goals. Just because you can eat something doesn't mean you should.  Unless you are satisfied with where you are on your health journey, but I don't think that's the case considering your post.  My opinion is that you need to focus more on getting your diet under control than being concerned with the exercise.  Exercise has great health benefits, but hurting yourself is not helpful and is not leading to weight loss so it's time to focus on what we know will have more effect. 

Use the 5 day pouch test or a different "detox" plan and then commit to eating like a post-op again until you are a weight that feels like where you want to be.  That's the only way.  Once you've reached your happy place you can experiment with adding in some good carbs and fruit and the occasional treat while maintaining.

The only failure is to give up and you clearly have not done that!  You can do this!

I can't provide any help. I suck at this. Had gastric sleeve in January. Lost 40 pounds within the first 2 months and never lost a single pound after that. Not even 1 pound. My starting weight was 340. I am now at 299. Yeah, I guess that is a little something, but seriously, not in MONTHS have I lost anything. The surgery was done in Mexico, and I did not get any counseling ahead of time. They said I was a very difficult case (my stomach was very large) and they could only remove 50% of my stomach. So, from the start I could eat way more than the other people. I am hungry all the time if I just eat what is advised. I am "trying" to limit myself to 1500 calories a day but that often doesn't work. I am doing exercise about 4 times a week but ya know, if I knew ahead of time that I needed to do all of this I wouldn't have had the damn surgery to begin with. I spent a lot of money for NOTHING. 

1 hour ago, Fairy Gardens said:

I can't provide any help. I suck at this. Had gastric sleeve in January. Lost 40 pounds within the first 2 months and never lost a single pound after that. Not even 1 pound. My starting weight was 340. I am now at 299. Yeah, I guess that is a little something, but seriously, not in MONTHS have I lost anything. The surgery was done in Mexico, and I did not get any counseling ahead of time. They said I was a very difficult case (my stomach was very large) and they could only remove 50% of my stomach. So, from the start I could eat way more than the other people. I am hungry all the time if I just eat what is advised. I am "trying" to limit myself to 1500 calories a day but that often doesn't work. I am doing exercise about 4 times a week but ya know, if I knew ahead of time that I needed to do all of this I wouldn't have had the damn surgery to begin with. I spent a lot of money for NOTHING. 

Oh my, I've never heard of that type of complication!  I am so sorry that has been your experience.  Have you asked about a revision?  It sounds like inexperience??? So sorry you are getting the results you expected, and that you didn't get the counseling and guidance that I think is vital to success.  This is a good place to find information and support.