robertgnv

HIV and Gastric Bypass

Greetings all. I'm new here and considering gastric bypass WLS.  I'm also HIV positive (healthy, HIV is undetectable - I take Triumeq) so I'm a little worried about complications/conflicts between my HIV treatment (absorption, swallowing crushed pills, etc.) after RnY gastric bypass. Anyone here have any experience or knowledge on this?

Thank you! :D

A quick call to whoever manages your HIV meds should be able to clear this up for you.  I had a similar concern about an autoimmune condition I have - so I asked the dermatologist who was treating me for it, and she was able to assure me that there would be no issues.

I found this for you, which seems reassuring: "Outcomes of bariatric surgery in human immunodeficiency virus positive individuals: a single center experience"

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26785127

Oops, hit save too soon.  :)  I also wanted to say you've come to the right place with questions - even if we don't know the answers, we're always happy to help you find them!

Edited by Kio

I do not know anything on this topic, sorry, but I expect that this is an important topic to discuss at length with a bariatric surgeon.  For example, it may be that a gastric sleeve, which does not have malabsorption, is a better match for your medicine.

If anyone here at TTF is HIV positive and feeling uncomfortable publicly posting on this topic, then you should send an IM to @robertgnv on this topic. 

We are here to support you. 

3 minutes ago, Kio said:

A quick call to whoever manages your HIV meds should be able to clear this up for you.  I had a similar concern about an autoimmune condition I have - so I asked the dermatologist who was treating me for it, and she was able to assure me that there would be no issues.

I found this for you, which seems reassuring: "Outcomes of bariatric surgery in human immunodeficiency virus positive individuals: a single center experience"

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26785127

Oops, hit save too soon.  :)  I also wanted to say you've come to the right place with questions - even if we don't know the answers, we're always happy to help you find them!

Thank you for this!  Yup I have a call scheduled with my HIV doc and will talk at length with my surgeon about it too.  I appreciate y'all. :)

Welcome, and I hope your team can get your questions answered. I’m happy to hear you’re taking good care of yourself :) 

I have no answers for you but wanted to send a warm welcome!

Welcome to TT! I hope you’re able to get some answers to your questions. :)

Edited by athenarose

I have nothing to add to what's already been posted Robert but I send a warm welcome to Thinner Times.

Hi @robertgnv

By any chance, did you and your HIV doc have a chance to discuss this? 

My HIV doc was out of town but I have now heard back from her and there is no problem with crushing my HIV meds (Triumeq).  I also met with Dr. Friedman today (UF Health Shands - Gainesville) who would be my surgeon and I'm planning to move forward with gastric bypass.  Plenty of steps between now and then (swallow study, EKG, psych exam, etc).  I'm kinda pumped!

19 minutes ago, robertgnv said:

My HIV doc was out of town but I have now heard back from her and there is no problem with crushing my HIV meds (Triumeq).  I also met with Dr. Friedman today (UF Health Shands - Gainesville) who would be my surgeon and I'm planning to move forward with gastric bypass.  Plenty of steps between now and then (swallow study, EKG, psych exam, etc).  I'm kinda pumped!

As you should be. WLS has been pretty transformative for me and plenty of other people. Just an head's up: with a bypass you bypass the acid of the stomach, so any meds for HIV or other things that depend on acid -> less effective. But it's easy to go online and see what is dependent on stomach acid. Not too many things are.