robertgnv

HIV and Gastric Bypass

Greetings all. I'm new here and considering gastric bypass WLS.  I'm also HIV positive (healthy, HIV is undetectable - I take Triumeq) so I'm a little worried about complications/conflicts between my HIV treatment (absorption, swallowing crushed pills, etc.) after RnY gastric bypass. Anyone here have any experience or knowledge on this?

Thank you! :D

A quick call to whoever manages your HIV meds should be able to clear this up for you.  I had a similar concern about an autoimmune condition I have - so I asked the dermatologist who was treating me for it, and she was able to assure me that there would be no issues.

I found this for you, which seems reassuring: "Outcomes of bariatric surgery in human immunodeficiency virus positive individuals: a single center experience"

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26785127

Oops, hit save too soon.  :)  I also wanted to say you've come to the right place with questions - even if we don't know the answers, we're always happy to help you find them!

Edited by Kio

I do not know anything on this topic, sorry, but I expect that this is an important topic to discuss at length with a bariatric surgeon.  For example, it may be that a gastric sleeve, which does not have malabsorption, is a better match for your medicine.

If anyone here at TTF is HIV positive and feeling uncomfortable publicly posting on this topic, then you should send an IM to @robertgnv on this topic. 

We are here to support you. 

3 minutes ago, Kio said:

A quick call to whoever manages your HIV meds should be able to clear this up for you.  I had a similar concern about an autoimmune condition I have - so I asked the dermatologist who was treating me for it, and she was able to assure me that there would be no issues.

I found this for you, which seems reassuring: "Outcomes of bariatric surgery in human immunodeficiency virus positive individuals: a single center experience"

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26785127

Oops, hit save too soon.  :)  I also wanted to say you've come to the right place with questions - even if we don't know the answers, we're always happy to help you find them!

Thank you for this!  Yup I have a call scheduled with my HIV doc and will talk at length with my surgeon about it too.  I appreciate y'all. :)

Welcome, and I hope your team can get your questions answered. I’m happy to hear you’re taking good care of yourself :) 

I have no answers for you but wanted to send a warm welcome!

Welcome to TT! I hope you’re able to get some answers to your questions. :)

Edited by athenarose

I have nothing to add to what's already been posted Robert but I send a warm welcome to Thinner Times.