EverybodylovesADanish

I am not sure what i should eat. 2 years PO

2 minutes ago, kristinwitha_k said:

(Psst, @Boho Rosy, my diet looks a LOT like yours. You're not alone.) 

Love hearing this. I have so enjoyed having you, in particular, to look to as someone on a similar journey at a similar time. :)

12 minutes ago, Boho Rosy said:

Love hearing this. I have so enjoyed having you, in particular, to look to as someone on a similar journey at a similar time. :)

:wub:

18 hours ago, Boho Rosy said:

I would like to offer a different perspective - one that I know is not popular on TT, and that I have been afraid to express on here (which is why I spend less time on this site these days). There is an alternative to a super low carb diet. You can practice moderation. I am a recovering binge-eater, and my psychologist (who specializes in working with obese patients) figured out that for me, the concept of cutting out carbs was a recipe for disaster. Basically, the minute I tell myself that I can't have something, all I want to do is eat ALL of it.

Glad you posted this! Indeed what works for one doesn't work for all. I think there are quite a few successful WLS people that practice moderation. You have figured out what works for you (and, oh yes, it is working - you look fantastic! :wub:)

The path for all of us to get to the point we needed WLS was different so it makes sense to me that the post-op path can be different as well. 

I think I practice a form of moderation. What is a treat or special to me one day can very quickly become my norm so I have to work hard to keep that in check. Last week a vendor gave me a glorious box of chocolates as I've been home recovering from a non- WLS related surgery for a couple of weeks. Hand crafted of all organic ingredients brought to the US on a wind-powered reclaimed pirate ship including honey that was from Cleopatra's private stash (ostentation abounds on the marketing of these candies.) I ate two as there were a variety of flavors and promptly took the rest to my hair salon. Those chocolate were fantastic! As much as I would like to think I could parse those out over the next couple of weeks, I know myself well enough to know that being home alone, on painkillers with those chocolates, they would be gone in two days. I wish I could be someone who could have those around, but I'm not and I have to be okay with it. I think figuring out and then accepting what works for you is the only way to have long-term success.

@Boho Rosy, I am super happy for you because you (very quickly) figured out what works for you! And that is the key to life long success! You are a rock star and an inspiration to many - including me! xoxo - your biggest fan 

P.S. I am one who preaches low carb here. I do that because it worked/works for me. And, I think there are people who come here who don't understand how/why they got fat in the first place. I think going forward I'm going to say low carb is the way to start and then you can modify to find what works best for you. 

On 8/18/2018 at 3:53 AM, EverybodylovesADanish said:

I am still not on the right track. But i feel like i am being punished. Dont tell me you guys have never slipped? Its so easy to say. just stop, and follow your diet.
If you are addicted to sugar and carbs, it really take something to get out of it. There is a reason i have been overweight my whole life.

Pre-op I started to break my addiction to carbs. It was incredibly hard. A couple of times I started sobbing when I was in the chip section of the grocery store. The idea that I could never have Doritos again was nearly too much to bear. I wrote break-up letters to my favorite foods. Over 15 years ago I quit smoking a pack a day cold-turkey. No patch, no meds, no gum, no mints while I was living with a smoker who continued to smoke in our house. While that was hard, it was NOTHING compared to breaking my carb addiction. 

I still eat carbs and sugar, not like I used to of course but if I've had carbs and sugar for a few days, I have to cut them off again. It takes me two or three days and frankly, I just white-knuckle it. I remember cravings only last a few minutes. I tell myself people can live for years as POWs or in other horrific conditions so I can get through the next few days without sugar or carbs. 

I say, pick a date and have that be the day you stop with the carbs and sugar. Don't worry about calories until you get the carbs and sugar under control. Good Luck, you can do this. We are all here to support you, even if it doesn't feel like it. 

On 8/24/2018 at 6:32 AM, Boho Rosy said:

I would like to offer a different perspective - one that I know is not popular on TT, and that I have been afraid to express on here (which is why I spend less time on this site these days). There is an alternative to a super low carb diet. You can practice moderation. I am a recovering binge-eater, and my psychologist (who specializes in working with obese patients) figured out that for me, the concept of cutting out carbs was a recipe for disaster. Basically, the minute I tell myself that I can't have something, all I want to do is eat ALL of it.

This is pretty much my way of going about post-op eating as well. I'm definitely not super low carb, but I do choose the carbs I'm going to eat with care. I'm huge on dairy so low carb just isn't feasible for me. I don't forbid any foods because that would just do my head in.....but these days there are consequences to certain poor choices for me....eg. I need to take arcabose with any sugars......that tends to make me think twice about just how appealing certain foods might be.

12 hours ago, Stephtay said:

P.S. I am one who preaches low carb here. I do that because it worked/works for me. And, I think there are people who come here who don't understand how/why they got fat in the first place. I think going forward I'm going to say low carb is the way to start and then you can modify to find what works best for you. 

This 1000%. I don’t always eat low carb, but as soon as I get near my personal weight/size limit and need to dial in my diet, it’s what I immediately revert back to. But different things work for different people and as long as they’re happy with the results, I say go for it.

I did very low carb (under 30 per day) for the whole first year, and it was super effective for me. Now, however, in maintenance, I think I do more like @Stephtay & @athenarose said: I’m very picky about the type of carbs and how much of them I eat, and I dial them back if I get cravings or gain a couple of pounds. I eat lots of dairy, whole wheat crackers (strictly limiting the number), some fruit, and a bit of 85% chocolate. I rarely eat any bread or potatoes, and avoid pasta and rice. If I don’t follow those rules, I tend to activate my inner carb-demon. More, more, more! Stopping that cycle involves cutting back on the carbs - @EverybodylovesADanish, you might want to just try cold turkey on carbs for a couple of weeks to see if that’s an approach that works for you.

If it doesn’t, strictly counting calories for a while might help you focus on making smarter choices (things that fill you up, like protein before anything else). 

Alternatively, if you’re a bulk eater, Dr. Matthew Weiner’s A Pound of Cure might help you crowd out the junk in your diet by filling yourself up with veggies and lean protein. He has a book and a bunch of YouTube videos.

Lots of different approaches - it’s a question of finding the one that works for you long term. We are all different.

7 hours ago, Jen581791 said:

Alternatively, if you’re a bulk eater, Dr. Matthew Weiner’s A Pound of Cure might help you crowd out the junk in your diet by filling yourself up with veggies and lean protein. He has a book and a bunch of YouTube videos.

His book is still available for free for Kindle unlimited users, btw. 

Weiner is an interesting read when you're eating plant based or are planning to eat plant based.