Sign in to follow this  
EverybodylovesADanish

I am not sure what i should eat. 2 years PO

Hii Everyone. I am 2 years ahead. I lost 26 kilos. I was actually 10 kg thinner a year ago, but i gained that again. I read that you usualy gain a bit when everythings is getting back to "normal".
I was never very big, (127kg . 180 cm high) so i paid for the surgery myself.

Now what i wanna ask. I feel like all the liquid products like smoothies, yougurt, even kvark yougurt, protein yougurt, IF i drink a milkshake.
All foods that has are that in thickness, and procecced like that. It runs right trough me like a juice, water, or a coke.
So its not very filling at all. If i blend a banana, 100 grams strawberry, and 200 grams yougurt. and drink it. I am hungry an hour later.

I have a VERY sweet tooth. Thats a problem. My diet is almost only carbs, and sugar. I do get my 80-100 grams of protein. But i am also eating around 3000 calories.

So do you have some advice for me? A filling diet. that is not too boring. that taste good, and that i can live with?

RIght now its a lot of soft drinks, bread, smoothies, and so on. Its not good.

Help please!

We were warned off drinking our calories for anything other than protein shakes because of the reason you stated.  Our pouch (or sleeve) is nothing more than a funnel and liquids give little to no sensation of fullness.  And at a rough estimate, your shake is approx. 250 calories and 50g carbs.

Best advice I can give is that you ditch the smoothies and do the 5 Day Pouch Test - a lot of our members have found it helpful in getting back on track.

Welcome to the forum. A little tough love for you: you already know that what you're doing is the wrong thing, so why are you still doing it? I have a sweet tooth, also. Doesn't matter. It's time to exercise some self-control. And if you can't, time to go talk to someone to figure out why not.

Dense foods will always fill you up faster: chicken, lean pork, turkey, eggs. Add in some vegetables. If you want ideas for what to eat, this thread might help: 

It's time to take control.  Stop with the carbs already.  Like right now.  Put it down, yes right now and back away slowly lol.  These kinds of foods are not your friend as you have discovered.  As suggested, the 5 day pouch test is often a great "restart" to get your head back in the game but the main thing is you have to get back to basics.  Lean dense protein like chicken breast is very filling, then eat a bit of veggies.  Done.  Eggs for breakfast, with a few veggies (mushroom omelet for example).  You still have the tool, you just have to get past the biggest obstacle, your brain!

Once you detox from the carbs, you will find that your sweet tooth doesn't scream quite as loudly and perhaps can be satisfied with a small piece of fruit now and then.  I'd limit the fruit somewhat until closer to goal weight though and stay far away from liquid calories.

You can do this!

I agree with all the advice you've gotten already.  Everybody goes carb-crazy once in a while, and life is too short to sweat the occasional indulgence - but the word "occasional" is key.

You need a baseline diet that is protein heavy and much lower in carbs than the one you're currently following.  Definitely lower in sugar.  You don't need to be in ketosis to lose, but it sure makes it a lot easier, because ketosis is a cravings-killer.  At two years out you can eat real food - emphasize meats and proteins and low-starch vegetables, with occasional low-starch fruits.  (Banana is not a low starch fruit!)

I'm the last person to criticize - I also love me some simple carbohydrates.  But carbs are like a bad boyfriend - once you let them back in the door, they just keep showing up and making you feel like crap. 

Not to pile on, but I agree with everyone else. I honestly can’t think of the last time I drank anything that had calories. Liquid calories are the devil in my mind. And fruit is fine in theory, but it’s one of the first things I cut (along with all simple carbs) when my weight goes up. Simply put, eat lean protein (eggs, chicken, etc) and veg. Dead stop. Honestly, if I were in your shoes, I wouldn’t even be drinking protein shakes, or eat avocado or nuts because of the calories. I’d go back to basics, buckle down hard and get myself into ketosis ASAP while praying that the carb flu passes quickly.  And take glutamine. It’ll help with the carb & sugar cravings. But I’m crazy. If I hit 136 or my size 2 jeans get snug, I cut out everything carby and get my butt in the gym for two-a-days. 

11 hours ago, Kio said:

But carbs are like a bad boyfriend - once you let them back in the door, they just keep showing up and making you feel like crap. 

Stealing this and possibly posting it on social media because... truth. Here’s to having high standards for what we put in our bodies (sorry, dirty mind :D)

I am still not on the right track. But i feel like i am being punished. Dont tell me you guys have never slipped? Its so easy to say. just stop, and follow your diet.
If you are addicted to sugar and carbs, it really take something to get out of it. There is a reason i have been overweight my whole life.

I need to get out of the "binge" i am in. Or i will continue ganing. I am still eating around 3000-3500 calories a day. No problems. I never though i would be able to do that again after the surgery. But now i can almost eat the same as before. Just not as fast.  ( I get som pain medicine.. Morphine for my back) and my sugar craving is a lot stronger by that, and does not help me to lose weight.. thats for sure.

Well.. I gotta start somewhere. I have ordered some protein powder, and protein drinks. Maybe that can get me back on track. Protein powder is an alternative to a smoothie/milkshake. ANd i have found out it fills me just as much as a bowl of serial. A protein drink.

I have seen some youtube videos of how people deal with regain. And everybody agrees on. Its back to basic.

When you guys have gained.. what do you go back to eat? Now i am talking to the ones many years out. Its very easy in the first year, to the year and a half. ( at least is was for me)
So i would be happy if someone with experience would give an advice.

I would love to know how many calories you eat a day you that are at least a year and 6 months out. And WHAT do you eat in a day.
I am not a great cook.  So maybe if someone would be so sweat to give me a week schedule, of what they eat.

Like monday.. How many meals, and what they eat. TOtal calories.
Like a week cycle. I would be very happy to see some meal plans, for us with gastric operations.

Thanks..

I’m 2.5 years out. A “normal” day is gym for two hours (1 hr cardio, 1 hr yoga), then I eat for the first time around 11:30am. Since I’m maintaining, I’ll eat a half a sandwich (1 slice of whole wheat bread, ~1 tbsp light mayo, 2 oz turkey breast, 1 oz cheese, 1/3 avocado, lettuce, tomato) and half an apple. Eat again around 3 or 4pm. Typically something like an apple with 1 tbsp peanut butter or 3 oz carrots with 1.5 oz ranch dip. Dinner is around 7 or 8pm and is usually something like 2-3 oz chicken breast or beef, 1/2 c veggies. Some days, I’ll have a banana or a string cheese at 10pm. Some days I eat more, some days I eat less. But that’s a typical day in maintenance. When I’m trying to lose, I add another hour at the gym, cut the fruit and bread, sub in more protein. 

As far as the sugar addiction, yeah I get it, but at the same time, at a certain point you have to just suck it up and decide to change course. Get rid of all the crap. Take glutamine to help with the cravings and buckle down. And get in the gym ASAP. Is it hard? Of course, but what other option is there? To stay overweight and continue down that path? I’m sorry if I sound unsympathetic but I truly can’t wrap my head around the amount of effort it would take to consume 3000 calories a day with my tiny pouch. Like I’d have to be guzzling high calorie shakes all day to the exclusion of other activities. Just the thought makes me nauseous. I barely cook, but it’s easy enough to buy an already made rotisserie chicken at the store and a bag of salad or frozen vegetables. If you want something to fill you up, salad is always a good choice. Drink water. Like non-stop, if you have to. Again, maybe I sound mean or unsympathetic, and I apologize if I do, but I go into beast mode if I hit 135 pounds or my size 2 jeans start getting tight. I recently had to do this and dropped 8 lbs in about two weeks just by buckling down and cutting out the extra carbs. Now I’m back in my size 0 jeans and 12 pounds below my “line in the sand” weight (138 lbs). It’s not supposed to be easy, but the alternative (in my mind) is being fat and that’s not an option for me personally. 

ETA: I think that absolutely everyone slips, but the difference is how often that happens and how conscious of a decision it is. I eat ice cream, candy, chips and other junk. But I also spend a lot of time at the gym. It’s all a balancing act, making conscious trade offs. And if my weight starts creeping up, those are the first things to go.

Edited by athenarose

2 hours ago, EverybodylovesADanish said:

I am still not on the right track. But i feel like i am being punished. Dont tell me you guys have never slipped? ...

Thanks..

Oh, everyone slips! 

I make sourdough bread that is wonderful ... and especially wonderful at putting back the weight if I have more than a slice a day. 

My two cents is that it may help if you can get into ketosis by just eating proteins/fats for 4-5 days - cheese, dried sausage, eggs, fish, protein shakes - and once you are through then your hunger will abate and the craving for sugar ameliorate. You'll be satisfied with less.  I think you have really done the right thing by ordering the protein powder and protein drinks. 

Usual day for me is several cups of strong black coffee with a sugar substitute (0 calories), followed by a protein shake (170 calories) with 140 g of blueberries (230 calories total). Sometimes a slice of cheese too for another 50 calories. Late morning and early afternoon typically eat another 400 calories of protein with maybe a small slice of my bread; I try to get at least 500 calories of exercise in the day, often in the afternoon, which is followed by some milk, or a protein drink, or every once in a while by a beer! I often whip an egg into some fish or chicken broth to make an egg-drop soup that is filling. Dinner varies a lot but my focus is always on getting in protein and vegetables. I often thinly slice ONE potato and a tomato and a sweet onion and bake them with some cheese on top. Wheat berries are also very filling and full of fiber, as are beans. Usually  have some wine as well. If I snack after dinner I try to eat nuts, seeds, or cheese. Total calories could easily be as high as 2400 - 2500 calories. If I don't exercise on any given day I try to make sure I eat less. 

Good luck!

Ask yourself “what nutrition is in what I’m eating?”  If there isn’t protein or vitamins in it, it probably isn’t for you.  I consciencely think about the protein ratio to calories.  If it’s dense protein it will be lower calorie and fill you up faster.  You can use different spices to change up flavor.  I like salsa, it’s low calories and comes in a multitude of flavors.  You don’t need high carb foods to survive.  There are enough carbs in dairy, fruits and vegetables.  Try keeping your carbs under 50 for the day.  Just because you get your protein in everyday does not mean you can eat what you want..

You dont “need” soft drinks.  Find another alternative.  I use no calorie flavor drops for water.  Do not drink your calories.  

Yes, this is work, yes this requires willpower.  And yes you will be tempted everyday.  But ultimately it’s up to you to decide what goes into your mouth.  

I went from a 6+ can of Diet Pepsi daily habit to no soda or caffeine whatsoever.  I don't care for coffee or tea.  My soda replacement is G2 (lower sugar gatorade).  They sell 32 oz bottles at Walmart for $1.  I sip on one per day, and then ice water to hit my 60 oz of daily fluids.  When I have a meal or snack, I *always* look for protein foods.  I find that if I eat any sort of carbs (bread/rice/pasta) I fill up so fast that I can't get much other food (protein) in.  I don't count my calories, I just try to be mindful of anything I put in my mouth.  We all have our moments/screwups.  This week I gained .8, and last week I gained .8 (vacations wreak havoc for me).  So this week - I will be evading any sort of carbs, and things will settle down again. 

Food addictions are no joke.  See a therapist if you need some assistance.  You worked so hard, You can do this!!! 

4 hours ago, BurgundyBoy said:

Usual day for me is several cups of strong black coffee with a sugar substitute (0 calories).....

Off topic...question about this. After surgery, would I be able to (should I) drink unsweetened tea with one sweet n low? I don’t drink anything else now besides that and water, and I’m a bit addicted TBH.

3 hours ago, Boston Redhead said:

Off topic...question about this. After surgery, would I be able to (should I) drink unsweetened tea with one sweet n low? I don’t drink anything else now besides that and water, and I’m a bit addicted TBH.

Yes tea is ok. Don't drink 16 cups a day. Will make you happy and help while you get sorted out after your surgery.

12 hours ago, EverybodylovesADanish said:

I am still not on the right track. But i feel like i am being punished. Dont tell me you guys have never slipped? Its so easy to say. just stop, and follow your diet.
If you are addicted to sugar and carbs, it really take something to get out of it. There is a reason i have been overweight my whole life

There's a big difference been slipping and totally overturning your diet plan. Like it or not WLS requires lifestyle change.....all that pre-surgical education isn't just nonsense. My original surgery was 32+ years ago. It's quite easy to end up where you started from if you don't completely change your outlook on food.....that includes dumping the sugar!!!!

I was asked yesterday when in the supermarket,  why I was still buying no sugar products and when I would "give myself a break". The person asking had VSG surgery about 5 years ago, lost a lot but would have easily been just into the overweight category, then regained the lot. So I'll continue to buy sugar free for the rest of my life, and leave the sugary stuff to those who either have been blessed with a metabolism that can handle it, or those who would rather be obese than give it up. That was a choice I had to finally make....and I chose skinny over sugars.