CarlMarch

2nd Pre-Op Visit

Well, I finished up my testing and took the Bariatric Psych evaluation.  I go August 1 to find out if everything looks okay for them to set a surgery date.  I have tried to work on the things that the Doctor said would be beneficial before the surgery.  I have been off Soda for well over a month... I have tried to cut my portion size down....I have tried not to drink 30 minutes before and after meals but still have a lot of work to do. I haven't started my 30 minutes of exercise yet and that is not a good thing.  All in all I am excited and anxious.  I will update after my Dr's appt...  I hope y'all have a great weekend!

Congratulations on ditching the soda and practicing the no drinking guidelines - that'll help you a lot on your WLS journey.

Congrats on getting this far! I’m glad to hear you’ve been working on habits before surgery, and honestly it’s a lot easier to be compliant post-op when the eating and drinking are just a lot harder to do anyway. Cutting out soda is stellar. Walking will get much much easier as you lose weight but of course starting a habit of it now is good. 

Best of luck on getting a date soon!

Great job getting rid of the soda and working on the other healthy habits. To echo Jen, the walking and exercise will get easier as the weight comes off. Just keep your eye on the prize. I hope your doctor’s appointment goes well and you get your surgery date. :)

Edited by athenarose

Great job with getting off soda before your surgery. :)  

My weight loss surgery program required its patients to stop carbonation, caffeine, alcohol and smoking (of all kinds including vaping) at least a month before surgery.  I have never been a smoker, and found it easiest to stop the remaining three things one at a time - first carbonation (goodbye to Diet Pepsi - my "toxic friend"), then alcohol, and finally caffeine (which was the hardest).  Post-op is much easier if you are not going through physical or emotional withdrawal.

I began drinking caffeine-containing drinks about 4-5 months after surgery, and drinking a little wine about 6-7 months after surgery.  I have had very little carbonation since my surgery, since it makes me feel full in a not pleasant way.

Thanks y'all.  I had already cut out the alcohol.  He hasn't said anything about Caffeine, but I will start working on it.. I like a cup of coffee every now and then.  Right now my drink of choice is sweet tea.  That is what is going to be the hardest to cut back from.  I hope post-op it will be easier.  Thanks again for all the kind words and the huge amount of information provided.  I have mentally prepared as best I can.  I have never had a hospital stay much less a major surgery.