blueyez3347

Feeling like I messed up!!!

I had gastric sleeve August 8th 2011. I I used to weigh 385 lb. I lost a hundred and fifty after gastric sleeve. I then found work after my surgery been working 4 and 1/2 years. I have had two wrist surgeries, and just recently in May had knee surgery to repair my meniscus. I have gained about 50 lb back, and hate myself for doing it. I have thought about trying The 5 day pouch reset is there anyone that can suggest any on that. I hate myself right now being home not working due to surgery recovery I'm being out of work no pay does not help. I am hating myself!!! Please comment and help!!

I am sorry you are having issues and have had regain.  I hear people swear by that 5 day pouch reset. I am pretty sure I have seen posts in this forum on how it works and what you need to eat and drink for those 5 days. You may be able to find it in the search engine or someone in this forum may be able to pull it up for you. I am not the best at trying to pull stuff up like that or I would do it.  Good luck to you

Many folk here swear by it, but I've read reports from bariatric surgeons that say it really isn't all its cracked up to be. The essence was it is just a carb detox that does nothing for your pouch at all. As such they suggest just going back to a low carb diet rather than restricting yourself to just the liquids. That's what I do when I need a carb detox....mainly because I like to eat real food, but also because my surgeon has stressed time and again that he doesn't want me "drinking my food" he wants me eating it! My surgeon doesn't even release his patients from hospital unless they are consuming soft foods already, which is quite different from what it seems most do with liquid only diets for the first couple of weeks.

I know how scary regain can be @blueyez3347, but there is still hope. You still have all the tools that you received in 2011. I feel like during this difficult time you are best just to go back to the basics. The 5 day pouch test might help reboot your thinking and get you back on track. Otherwise just follow what your WLS team set up for you. But I can't stress this enough to you - You are NOT a failure, and you are not alone. And come vent away here if you ever need to, I bet you will find others who are struggling with a similar experience. Hang in there, and do what works for you ;)

Screenshot_20180409-192318.png

12 hours ago, blueyez3347 said:

.......... I have thought about trying The 5 day pouch reset is there anyone that can suggest any on that. ..........

Many people have found the 5 Day Pouch Test useful.  Mostly for just getting back on track with ditching carbs and other stuff that seems to have a way of creeping back into our diet.

Being stuck at home is a huge eating trigger for me, too. You know what you need to do - it’s just a question of mustering up the motivation to get back on track. The 5 day pouch test might be effective in jump starting that motivation, or just a week of carb detox and perfect tracking of everything you eat. Whatever will launch your motivation back to what it was when you were losing initially.

Best of luck. Regain is a monster I think most of us have suffered at the hands of. Time to put it behind you :) 

You know how to lose the weight, you did it before and you will do it again! Restart and get back to basics. Forgive yourself for the gain and only look forward. One meal at a time! You can do it!

We have all made mistakes along the way.  But the ones who have long term success seem to be the ones who recognize they need help before it gets way out of control.  So congrats for seeking help.  Now, please stop hating yourself, it won't help.  No one has ever lost a pound by hating on themselves.  In fact it usually has the opposite affect; when we feel bad about ourselves we comfort eat to feel better then that whole spiral downwards begins.  So stop it right now :)  

You are a rock star girl!!  OMG, you lost 150 freaking pounds!!!  Lord, that's a whole person! You've had some regain but you are still down 100 pounds from your heaviest.  Wrestle this beast back under control; get back to basics and show that 50 pounds the door.  We know you can do it, you've already proven that!

As to the 5 Day Pouch Test, I think it's creator developed it as a way to "test" a pouch to see if it had been "stretched" by overeating.  If you go through the 5 day process, which mimics the stages of early post-op and you return to very good restriction, you know that you have not done any damage.  At least I believe that was her original premise.  Most people here however use it more like a restart or a detox, myself included.  I have used it a couple of times after a "Carbs Gone Wild" kinda thing.  It helped me get my head back in the game and get focused on eating on plan.  Nothing "fixes" you in 5 days of course but it is a pretty short kickstart to a better (calmer) eating plan.  For sure there are other carb detoxes or sometimes people just jump right in and do lean protein/veggies from the start.  I just found when I was really feeling out of control it somehow acted like a dietary defibrillator and shocked some sense back into me lol.

You can do this!

I agree with the above advice.  Most importantly, the past is behind you.  Ignore it and do not get upset about it.  What is really important is what you do now - which must be to get back on track and lose the extra weight.  You can do it.  My mantra is "failure is not an option."

We are here to support you.

On 8/1/2018 at 8:18 PM, msmarymac said:

"Carbs Gone Wild"

:D lol