Emmy5

Pretty Nervous

Hi all

I have been reading some of your encouraging words. I have to say I am a little nervous. I am nervous about losing part of my body. I am nervous about making this huge change. I am nervous about the post-op vomiting (I used to say my two biggest fears were going blind and throwing up!). I have been on a modified diet for ten days and then yesterday and today clears only (does anyone know if the premier protein clear mango orange drink is a “clear”? It seems like if Gatorade is a clear then this might be? ). My husband is doing the same diet sans the surgery. Which makes me laugh. But he wants to lose weight too. I told him he will absolutely need more calories then I will be getting. We will see how long it last. 

I put on weight during and after pregnancies and did the loss and regain dance a few times. I suffered a loss in 2015 that just about did me in and I have gained since then. So in January I talked to my dr about this. And we decided that it was worth looking into. And now - seemingly overnight - here I am. Coincidentally my best friend from childhood had the same surgery about one month ago. She had a hard post op period but 30 days out is doing much better. 

Your stories have inspired me. I loved reading about coaches liver and how hard he worked. :) My doc also wanted me to shrink my liver. I thought he was joking. My liver tests are all normal thank God, but he wanted a little more loss before surgery. I have had to talk to my liver, “Hey you! You get small in there, make like Tiny Tim!” 

Thanks in advance for your support. <3

Em

Edited by Emmy5

Welcome to Thinner Times Emmy!

Premier Protein Orange Mango Clear Protein is clear but I find that as is, they're a too strong for me so I dilute them with water.

I'll be thinking of you tomorrow - see you on the losers bench!

Welcome and congratulations on beginning the journey to your new healthy life!  

I did have about 48 hours of dry heaving post-op which was miserable.  I tend to vomit easily in reaction to anesthesia, movement, etc so I guess it was not a surprise, it just sucked.  Be sure and tell your team of your fears and they will pre-medicate and do everything they can to help prevent it.  They did for me but I still did every time I moved.  Not pleasant but looking back it was such a short time to put up with unpleasantness for the tradeoff which is this glorious life!  Keep that in mind if you go through some not so fun stages.  It is so worth it!

Welcome! Your situation sounds similar to mine. I also gained tons of weight during four back to back pregnancies (I was on the heavier side of normal to start) and WLS has been a complete life changer for me, in the best way possible. In regards to post-op vomiting, I’m not sure if it’s different with the sleeve, but I literally cannot throw up now. Even when I had horrible food poisoning, I just dry heaved for days on end. But no vomiting in the 2.5 years since I had surgery. I hope your surgery and recovery go smoothly. We’re here to support you and cheer you n. :)

3 hours ago, Emmy5 said:

Hi all

I have been reading some of your encouraging words. I have to say I am a little nervous. I am nervous about losing part of my body. I am nervous about making this huge change. I am nervous about the post-op vomiting (I used to say my two biggest fears were going blind and throwing up!). ...

Thanks in advance for your support. <3

Em

Hi Em, everyone is a bit nervous. Normal to have a few butterflies. Good luck with the surgery!

No nausea after surgery, no vomiting at all.

In fact one of the anti-nausea meds they gave me to make sure I did not have any nausea kept me from peeing after surgery. (I just asked them to hold it, and 8-12 hours later was fine; did not need a catheter). 

Hi Em,

Welcome to your new thinner life! It's natural to be nervous before surgery, we all were, but you're going to do great!:D 

I don't understand the whole throwing up thing. No one ever mentioned that to me, nor do I know anyone who had that problem. I'm sure it's rare. I too hate to throw up. I'm always afraid I'm going to choke to death! LOL. Needless to say, that didn't happen to me.  In fact I had zero complications. Like Burgundy Boy I had a problem peeing, but I figured out it was the girdle. You may want to lift that when you sit down, then when you're done put it back in place.

One thing I did have was gas pains, but they didn't last long.  They were gone, or handled, by day 3. I do suggest you take the pills they give you morning and night, plus get the extra ones for that time and emergencies.  I was dismayed my second day because even  water made my stomach hurt, not nausea, just sharp pains like...gas! The doctor and nurse warned me about it, but since I never had that problem before, I didn't understand. Like I said, it didn't last. Now I take the pills morning and night (I'm 5 weeks out from surgery) and I drink coffee every morning. No problem. (My doctor allows caffeine)

So relax. I know it's hard to do when having surgery, but just remember; this is the first day of the rest of your life!  I know, a bit cliched, but it's true.

Good Luck & Take care-

Welcome and I hope everything goes as smoothly as possible for you :) It’s normal to be nervous, but try to focus on all the amazing positive changes you will enjoy in your life (like basically everything is easier and most things are more fun!).

I’m probably one who you’ve read about throwing up - it happens to me with some regularity (every couple few weeks?). Pre-op, I absolutely hated throwing up, but post-op, it’s no big deal. More like regurgitating like birds do when they’re feeding their babies :wacko: No nausea, no horrible gagging feeling, no gross taste. I mean, I don’t love it, but it’s really not a big deal. So, sorry if I made you worry. Some people do it, some don’t, but it’s really not a terrible thing. 

It sounds like you’re doing well on your pre-op diet. I think that shows a certain amount of stick-to-it-iveness, or comfort with being compliant with doctor’s orders. That will serve you well. 

Thanks everyone! This made me feel better today. I haven’t told too many people so I was glad to hear all of your support. I should try and sleep. I will check in when I am on the other side!

Em

Hi all

I am home! I did really well. I did have some post op complications that I don’t even remember. So, as far as I’m concerned I didn’t even vomit. (Though I heard that I did). I probably could have gone home day 1 but my heart rate and oxygen kept dropping so I thought one more night of watching things would be good. I kept thinking it was all your thoughts and positive energy and prayers that got me through it. So here are my current struggles or questions:

1) is there an app that is specific to bariatric surgery that helps you keep track of the water and “food” and your meds that you all like?

2) I am having a hard time with crushing my meds and taking them- I was on several extended release tabs that now have to be 3 times a day crushed. It’s pretty awful. Any helpful hints?

3) I got a bad rash after surgery which is better but still itchy. Anyone else experience this?

4) the drain is kinda gross. And I am a nurse! I think I should not be bothered by it! Ha ha!! 

Ok - I made it! I have to have hope that I will feel better soon. Sunday is a day I often liked having a cinnamon Role from one of my favorite places. I suppose cinnamon tea will have to be my substitute!

thank you again 

Em

Welcome to the losers bench Emmy - it sounds as if you're doing well.

Post-op. itching is normal and should go pretty quickly but if it continues, put a call into your surgeon's office and ask their advice.  I used oral Benadryl and ice packs wrapped in a clean kitchen towel  but check first.  I can also recommend vitamin E oil but not until your staples come out.

Congrats on making this important decision. Stick around the forum! There are a lot of wise people here. 

I was pretty itchy after my bypass. That will soon go away as you heal. Ice is your friend!

Ask your doc if you should be crushing your extended release meds. It was my understanding that these meds shouldn’t be crushed but your doctor would know best. Are cleared for applesauce? A common piece of advice is to put meds in applesauce. 

I used the app Baritastic for the first few months. It’s simple and easy to use. My Fitness Pal seems to be the gold standard around here but to be frank, I preferred Baritastic. 

Congrats again! 

@Emmy5 Welcome to the losers bench!!! 

Glad you’re home and doing well. 

Baritastic has some good features for the newly post-op. I use MFP now but used Baritastic for a couple months after surgery. 

I had a drain, too, and it was sort of fascinatingly gross. The color of the fluid was, if I could think about it in a detached way, a really beautiful shade of pinkish red... :) But it felt great to not have it anymore.

Hi, @Emmy5 ! Welcome to the losers' bench!

For my first couple of weeks I used Excel to track my intake - it was just too complicated to use an app, for me anyway, because the amounts were so tiny and the foods so boring.  It was just a lot easier to type it in fast and move on.  Now, on the days I track, I use MyFitnessPal premium.  But I admit - now I only track occasionally, usually when I feel like I might be eating too much or straying too far into carb-land.  Most days are pretty rote, so I don't bother.  And most of my food is either pre-measured like protein bars or yogurt (5.3 oz!) or same size every time (scallops, salad bowls, etc.)  I tracked religiously for 5 months, though, and it was hugely helpful - so I highly recommend it until you are 100% sure you have the hang of it.

Throwing up post RNY is, as Jen said, a totally different experience from throwing up before surgery.  There's no burny stomach acid, for one thing.  And for another, the food doesn't have as far to go - your pouch is pretty high up, so food isn't traveling from the bottom of your stomach.  And finally, anything you throw up in the first two months is probably going to be liquid or fairly close to liquid already!  It's not painful and doesn't take long.  So if you get nauseated, or if something feels "stuck", there's really no need to worry.  As Jen and I are fond of saying - better out than in, in those circumstances!

Stick around, many of the people here are hugely smart, and the vets are treasures.  We're all happy to share what we know and what we've been through, vets and newbies alike.  And it's a lot easier for many of us to stay on plan and stay motivated when we're part of a community of like-minded people with the same goals.

Good luck!!

10 minutes ago, Kio said:

Stick around, many of the people here are hugely smart, and the vets are treasures.  We're all happy to share what we know and what we've been through, vets and newbies alike.  And it's a lot easier for many of us to stay on plan and stay motivated when we're part of a community of like-minded people with the same goals.

Good luck!!

I second every word of this!

On 7/29/2018 at 5:49 AM, Emmy5 said:

Hi all

I am home! I did really well. I did have some post op complications that I don’t even remember. So, as far as I’m concerned I didn’t even vomit. (Though I heard that I did). I probably could have gone home day 1 but my heart rate and oxygen kept dropping so I thought one more night of watching things would be good. I kept thinking it was all your thoughts and positive energy and prayers that got me through it. So here are my current struggles or questions:

1) is there an app that is specific to bariatric surgery that helps you keep track of the water and “food” and your meds that you all like?

2) I am having a hard time with crushing my meds and taking them- I was on several extended release tabs that now have to be 3 times a day crushed. It’s pretty awful. Any helpful hints?

3) I got a bad rash after surgery which is better but still itchy. Anyone else experience this?

4) the drain is kinda gross. And I am a nurse! I think I should not be bothered by it! Ha ha!! 

Ok - I made it! I have to have hope that I will feel better soon. Sunday is a day I often liked having a cinnamon Role from one of my favorite places. I suppose cinnamon tea will have to be my substitute!

thank you again 

Em

@Emmy5 Congrats! I was thinking about you. How are you doing now?  I've got to ask, what was the drain for? Is it out now? 

@CelticGirl Thanks for checking in. I am struggling with fatigue, I have had horrible restless legs at night since coming come which keeps me up. My BP is low. So I am trying to take in more fluid. Today I start puréed foods so I can add some salt which I think might help. It’s hard! 

The drain is standard here - I guess we all go home with one. It’s this tube that goes from the surgery site out your belly into a little balloon type of device and it had to be measured and emptied twice a day. They take it out at the one week post op appt. (for me it was day 6) It sounds like not every practice does this, but it serves two purposes- if there is a leak - they will know right away and also it helps prevent and monitor for infection. If the fluid gets cloudy or darker or there is suddenly a lot more fluid, then you go in and get seen. After reading about a few bad post op infections, I think it makes sense as another assessment tool that everything is healing well.

Thanks for checking. I hope to feel a little better each day.

Em

20 hours ago, Emmy5 said:

@CelticGirl Thanks for checking in. I am struggling with fatigue, I have had horrible restless legs at night since coming come which keeps me up. My BP is low. So I am trying to take in more fluid. Today I start puréed foods so I can add some salt which I think might help. It’s hard! 

The drain is standard here - I guess we all go home with one. It’s this tube that goes from the surgery site out your belly into a little balloon type of device and it had to be measured and emptied twice a day. They take it out at the one week post op appt. (for me it was day 6) It sounds like not every practice does this, but it serves two purposes- if there is a leak - they will know right away and also it helps prevent and monitor for infection. If the fluid gets cloudy or darker or there is suddenly a lot more fluid, then you go in and get seen. After reading about a few bad post op infections, I think it makes sense as another assessment tool that everything is healing well.

Thanks for checking. I hope to feel a little better each day.

Em

@Emmy5 Thank you for the explanation. You're right, they don't do that everywhere. I'm so sorry you've had a difficult time. I don't know what I would have done if I had to have a drain. We had to give ourselves shots for seven days and I thought that was hard.  

Hopefully now that you can ingest food it gets easier. I know it did for me psychologically. Hang in there, the worst is behind you. Now you can look forward to becoming the new you.

Take care

Karen