Jenn42606

Energy/Fatigue/Lethargic

I am 1 day short of a month out from surgery and I have no energy. I feel tired all the time. I can manage to get my kitchen done but anything beyond that I just cant. Help! I just did my lab work today so...... if this continues what should I do? I get dizzy too. That could be from my vertigo tho. 

Being exhausted is totally normal. I basically slept at least 15 hours a day at that point. I would run an errand (like grocery shopping) and then get home and nap for an hour or two. The best I can suggest is to sleep as much as you can and make sure you’re taking your vitamins, getting your protein and drinking lots of water. No great advice, but rest assured that it’s totally normal. I was dead tired all the time until around 2.5 months post op. It slowly will get better. And even now, I’ll still come home from the gym, eat and take a nap before continuing on with my day. I have more energy overall, but I try to listen to my body and give it rest when it needs it. And I get dizzy too. Super fun during yoga class when I’m trying to do balancing poses :lol: I think it’s because of my low blood pressure, so perhaps that’s a factor for you too? Oh, and I’ve never been deficient in anything but Vitamin A. I think it’s just natural for your body to need more rest when it’s in a state of constant change. Hang in there!

I was really exhausted until about 6 weeks out, then started to get my energy back. Healing takes a lot of energy, and you’re not taking in many calories right now, so it makes sense, but it is a pain. Rest when you can/need to. Your body is going through a lot.

I was pretty drained for the first 3+ weeks and it only got better once I was continually hitting the minimum 60g protein recommendation every day.

That was my only complaint post surgery. I was sooooo tired all the time and that was the last thing I was expecting. I finally called my surgeon and he said that if that was my only complaint I should say a thankful prayer and take a nap! LOL he was right of course, my energy gradually came back the more nutrients I started to consume.